Insulation on top of beam and block.

Russell griffiths

Trying to sort out all the odds and ends. 

How much insulation would you put on top of your beam and block floor

just sorting out makeup of floor and levels. 

On top of the insulation will be 100mm of flowable concrete with ufh 

and what would be your preferred type of insulation 

cheers russ. 

If you're using "flowable concrete" make sure to place a well sealed DPM on top of the insulation otherwise you will end up in the same situation I found myself in 3 weeks ago.

Not a nice place to visit.

• Like 1

Right then I would rather use a poorer insulation, but use more of it 

I have a distinct dislike for Kingspan and find it massively over priced for what it is. 

If I was to use eps sheets how thick would you go

i am not limited by height, in fact I need to build up a fair bit as my ffl is rather high due to having a rather over engineered flood risk assessment. 

Ufh will be clipped to the top layer of insulation. 

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Right then I would rather use a poorer insulation, but use more of it 

I have a distinct dislike for Kingspan and find it massively over priced for what it is. 

If I was to use eps sheets how thick would you go

i am not limited by height, in fact I need to build up a fair bit as my ffl is rather high due to having a rather over engineered flood risk assessment. 

Ufh will be clipped to the top layer of insulation. 

Ok so look at JetFloor as that is EPS infill instead of blocks and is topped up to 250mm for insulation purposes. We considered it but BCo was happy with slab. 

I am going for 200mm celotex with 60mm flo screed.

Bought celotex seconds & saved about £700 compared to my local builders merchants where I have a trade account & get good discount.

I was a bit dubious about using seconds but they are all good.

The foil is a bit wrinkled on some of the sheets & some are a bit discoloured on the edges but all are fine to use.

As far as the Tetris system or jet floor go, I’m after something I can work of before I put down the finish concrete. 

The main construction is icf and I need a surface to work off, that I can screw bracing to

with one of the lightweight systems I would need to install the finish concrete including the ufh, by doing this I will not be happy randomly screwing into the surface to install bracing. 

Would you be happy with 200mm of eps on top of the beam and block or would you put more in. 

if I was to use 3 layers of 100mm eps can anybody see a problem with multiple layers or is it better to use 1 layer. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

Multiple layers is sometimes better than one as it stops bridging through the joints if you lay it staggered. And 100mm is usually a bit cheaper for some reason - What is the total floor area you need..? I found a place in Birmingham that worked out pretty cheap if I bought a Lorry load - which isn’t that much tbh..!