Shower Heat Recovery

The "problem" I am having looking for parts to make that DIY one is the 42 - 54 reducer.  You need a "slip" version to allow the 42mm to pas through.. Normally there is a stop that won't allow the 42mm all the way through.

Note that SAP 'approved' product must be used if you want to take advantage of this technology. Also don't expect any meaningful improvement in SAP rating (+1 point if lucky?) or CO2 emissions (less than 0.5 kg CO2/m2/yr reduction?) depending upon system, water use etc, etc.

17 hours ago, ProDave said:

He has plumbed the heat recovery into the feed to the hot water tank. I think it would be better to connect it to the cold water feed to the shower thermal mixer valve?

You can connect either or both. You get the highest efficiency from connecting both the tank and mixer valve: http://recoupwwhrs.co.uk/installation/installation-methods/

• 1 year later...
On 25/03/2018 at 11:42, JSHarris said:

Wowzers! - £140 [2 sold]

Did you see what happened to the Zypho? Now sold under license as Heatrae Sadia, £1450 RRP (yes, literally added a zero) but now on Special Offer Half Price (etc)

(EDIT to add -- ah yes, I see you found them sold in UK for £800....) 

Edited by joth

On 10/03/2018 at 19:46, jack said:

As for complexity, there was a little bit of extra plumbing, but other than that it's pretty much set and forget. I suppose I should check whether it needs cleaning internally every now and again, but I haven't managed to get around to it yet.

Just wondered, did you get to check it, and does it need any maintenance to date?

Some of the guides (e.g. Q-Blue's own) make a big deal about requiring easy access to the device in case of maintenance or replacement(!) needs. But the UK reseller Showersave calls it "fit and forget"  but still have a bit about easy access in the installer's checklist.

Our ensuite is going to be immediately above the downstairs shower room, and it'd be ideal to put the exchanger into the void behind downstairs shower, except that'll be relatively well boxed in. (Well, same as the rest of the plumbing, shower controls. etc which probably have the same disclaimers).

The other obvious option would be to put a linear heat exchanger under the downstairs shower and have upstairs shower cascade down into that too somehow. I just fear the complications of pipe lengths and overwhelming capacity of the exchanger (on either waste or the fresh water side) will make that a bad choice (given downstairs is more rarely used).

13 minutes ago, joth said:

Some of the guides (e.g. Q-Blue's own) make a big deal about requiring easy access to the device in case of maintenance or replacement(!) needs. But the UK reseller Showersave calls it "fit and forget"  but still have a bit about easy access in the installer's checklist.

No, I haven't checked. It's definitely a relatively low priority task for me at the moment!

Checking it would involve undoing some screws to take off a panel at the back of a cupboard in our utility room, then accessing a rodding point with a light (and possibly a camera if it's too hard to get my head up into the space).

• Thanks 1

@dpmiller nice price! At least, less rip-off-britain price.

I'm sure the Heatrae Sadia mark up is justified by the WRAS certification 

Looks like this one is about 40% efficient vs up to 78% in the vertical mounted ones. I need to dig around and see how they compare for pressure drop too.

Edited by joth

1 minute ago, joth said:

@dpmiller nice price! At least, less rip-off-britain price.

I'm sure the Heatrae Sadia mark up is justified by the WRAS certification 

Looks like this one is about 40% efficient vs up to 78% in the vertical mounted ones. I need to dig around and see how they compare for pressure drop too.

I looked at what was needed in order to make a heat recovery unit that would comply with the regs as far as WRAS certification was concerned.  The main issue is that the regs require a drained space between the potable water piping and the waste water piping, with some form of tell-tale drain indicator to show if there's a leak into this space.

This means the efficiency tends to be reduced a fair bit, as it's hard for that drained space to not insulate the two sections from each other. 

My solution was to look at running several paralleled small bore potable water pipes up alongside a length of 50mm diameter copper waste pipe.  Ideally these small bore pipes would be soldered to the waste pipe in order to make good thermal contact, but that seemed to be in breach of the regs.  I'm inclined to think it would have been perfectly OK, just the same.  The cost for a home made version would be a fair bit cheaper than for some of these things, maybe £100 worth of pipe and fittings. 

Do the water regulations apply to you @JSHarris? AIUI, they only apply to buildings on mains supply so if you're on a private supply, like a borehole, spring or rainwater harvesting, then they're at most advisory.

https://www.wras.co.uk/consumers/advice_for_consumers/what_are_the_water_regulations_/

These Regulations and Byelaws apply in all types of premises supplied, or to be supplied with water by a water company (the legal term for a water company is water undertaker).

They apply from the point where water enters the property’s underground pipe (usually at the stop tap at the property boundary), to where the water is used in plumbing systems, water fittings and water-using appliances.

These regulations do not apply where a property uses a private water supply and does not have a supply of water from a water company. If a top up supply, from a water company, is in place full regulations/byelaws would apply

Edited by Ed Davies
Add link and quote.

8 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Do the water regulations apply to you @JSHarris? AIUI, they only apply to buildings on mains supply so if you're on a private supply, like a borehole, spring or rainwater harvesting, then they're at most advisory.

It's a bit of a grey area.  I had a tough time with a building inspector who insisted that the requirement to restrict water use in the regs applied to us, even though we don't use either mains water or mains drainage.  Whether or not it's OK to use non-WRAS approved stuff I don't really know, as a part of the WRAS stuff is aimed at protecting people within the house from possible water contamination.  Clearly the WRAS regulations that relate only to reducing the probability of contaminating a mains water supply, like double check valves on incoming pipes doesn't apply, but I suspect that we do still need to comply with other requirements, such as ensuring that outdoor taps have double check valves, for the same reason as anyone on mains water has to.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

For our self build project that we are now living in, I bought 3 Zypho shower heat exchange units.
The end floor construction and shower tray choices meant they never got installed.
Interesting to read that these are now being sold for over £1,000 each !
We paid a bit over £200 for each of them.
Anybody want all 3 for £250 + £25 to post (or come and collect them, I'm in Cornwall).
 - better than landfill and I hope somebody can make good use of them re their energy bills.
I've got plenty of photos of them. 
Rory