ASHP & Sunamp - no boiler no PV

readiescards

3 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

That’s a really disappointing picture.........

....... @Nickfromwales prefers to work in a small dark cramped plant room, it reminds him of his youth down the pits  :D 

It's ok - he felt right at home in mine, plus most of the stuff in there was the pits! :D

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, readiescards said:

The system works!

A ASHP feeds a PCM34 Sunamp that acts as a preheat for a PCM58 Sunamp and also a ufh buffer. The PCM58 has an electric immersion element  to 

charged it ( to be solar PV at some point in future)

Though the late addition of a back up pair of Willis units added some complications:

@Nickfromwales can explain it in detail if anyone wants to know more. 

IMG_20181102_072240.jpg

Ah ha - this is exactly what I'm thinking of!

Would seem to be a good solution to me for my place - the only unknown I've got is the ASHP would need to be a split unit with quite a run between the units (circa 15m, TBC).  Is that likely to be an issue?  I will upload a picture as that'll explain better...

• Like 1

Just wondering: in @readiescards helpful photo, is there any reason why the two SunAmps are spaced apart? Is it just that they are centrally positioned on their respective slabs to spread the weight. It strikes me that abutting them would reduce heat losses marginally. And save space for those us where that is important.

Edited by Dreadnaught

9 minutes ago, andy said:

Ah ha - this is exactly what I'm thinking of!

Would seem to be a good solution to me for my place - the only unknown I've got is the ASHP would need to be a split unit with quite a run between the units (circa 15m, TBC).  Is that likely to be an issue?  I will upload a picture as that'll explain better...

Why does the ASHP have to be a split?  There's no real problem with running a (often cheaper) monoblock, with the flow and return pipes 15m long, using insulated pipe.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Why does the ASHP have to be a split?  There's no real problem with running a (often cheaper) monoblock, with the flow and return pipes 15m long, using insulated pipe.

As ever, thanks @JSHarris.  Clearly I'm getting confused as to when a split system is needed...

Here's a pic to explain the planned location of the external unit and where the plumbing needs to be (that could easily be move left to decrease the distance a little).  I was wondering about either running a heavily insulated pipe through/under the slab to minimise distance or around the perimeter (that would seem a more future proof approach).

house.jpg

You can get pre-insulated twin pipe for just this sort of job, where you need to run the flow and return from a boiler or heat pump some distance underground: https://www.polypipe.com/housing/pressure-systems/pre-insulated-pipes

Laying this before your slab goes down would seem to be a reasonable option.

• Like 1

Thanks Nick, would I take the insulated pipe up through slab and to loft to avoid joins?  Assume that's probably safest long term.

Locating it on the other side of the loft area would give a run of about 13m - this does seem to be on the long side for monobloc ASHP from what I'm reading.

I think a circa 6kW ASHP should be right for our requirements (2,700W peak heating load plus DHW).

I think I need a plumber who knows Sunamps...

house.jpg

Actually, even though the left of the picture is facing the road, it's still all on my land (not directly onto the road) and I don't think I'd need planning if I placed it here - my garage is in front of it between us and the road but does that meet the PD requirement of "any part of the development would be forward of a wall forming part of the principal elevation or side elevation where that elevation fronts a road"...?

house.jpg

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Some councils require PP for ASHP as they create “noise nuisance” so cannot be near other properties. 

They do in Scotland, only PD if 100 metres from your boundary.  Again it's the obsession with noise thing.  I dare not mention to the planners my MVHR vents when on boost make more noise than the ASHP.

Not an issue for a new build, just include it on your plans, but more red tape and costs if you want to retro fit one to an existing property.