Two roof gables project outwards from upstairs bedrooms and onto balconies, and these need to have some sort of finish on the inside verticals and underside of the roof.  I thought about real timber initially, but I don't want the colour to fade unevenly or have to do any maintenance on it, so I was thinking about some sort of flush weatherboard.

There are a couple that I've seen that are okay, but my real dilemma is that we're going to have a brise soleil in front of the high floor to first floor ceiling height window and I would really like them to match as closely as possible to stop the look of the house being too busy with too many textures and colours going on.  I can't think of anything other than wood that the brise soleil can be practically made from, but then I know very little about these things. 

Does anyone have any suggestions re. materials for the brise soleil, who I would approach to have one of these made, and alternatives for the finish on the gable inner sides.

Ta very much!

I should think most of the bigger builds would use some kind of powder-coated metal to save on maintenance for their brise soleil, as for the cladding there is always the cement board alternatives e.g Hardi plank / Cedral. personally, I prefer the Cedral

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Facades/Cedral/Cedral-Lap.aspx

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Facades/Cedral/Cedral-Click.aspx

Thanks - I didn't even think about using a material other than wood for the bride soleil. I like the cedral click but the light oak colour isn't available in the flush version, as far as I can tell.

As construction channel said 

I would use powder coated aluminium. 

I have built a couple of black ally structures and they looked very classy 

i did a cover over a patio and it was powder coated galv steel, not as heavy as it sounds and you couldn’t tell the difference from the ally, but a third of the price. 

A quick wipe with a wet cloth is all it took to make it look brand new again. 

I found this the other day when brain aching uneven rates of silvering on untreated wood cladding;

https://russwood.co.uk/exteriors/cladding/sioo-uniform-weathered-appearance/

"In the months following application all boards will turn the same tone regardless of their colour and exposure to the elements.."

and

"can be regarded as largely maintenance free and can be left for between 10-15 years before re-application may be considered. In many instances, timber will have taken on a naturally weathered appearance by this time and therefore reapplication is not necessarily required."

I had samples of the Russwood sioo on wrc and siberian larch I had some outside ‘weathering’ for 6 months or so too. Its a good product. You can also buy the sioo treatment and use it on any cladding.

In the end I did a last minute swerve away from the Russwood sioo  on wrc to the Silvlbp New Age Gris on Siberian Larch becase I loved the colour and the grain. Silvlbp is factory coated (much quicker and cost effective) and comes in a range of colours and woods.  Its a French product, production facility is in the Alps near Annecy.  It needs no maintanence, the coating is sacrificial and I expect even weathering and not to have to maintain in any way other. than a clean down now and then as you would with any cladding including the cedral. The only distributor for Silvlbp is Vincent timber in Birmingham. www.vincenttimber.co.uk 

Its difficult to suggest to you without a picture of the house its going on.  I think a mix of powder coated metal and real wood cladding will look stunning for a bris soliel and surrounding area.  Pinterest perhaps?

We all sing the praises of what we have chosen precisely  because we chose it to suit our individual houses after much research. I totally love my larch and against my anthractite windows and deep fascias and soffits to me it is a thing of untold beauty, I am very happy. The way the light catches it at different times of day it goes from a soft buttery colour to quite grey as the sun moves round. I also factored in the colour of my render, outside paving and driveway so I could pull the whole external scheme together.

You will know when you find a combination that works for you.  Last week I skipped probably 3 dozen cladding samples and samples of the whole colour and style range of the marley cedral.   Get yourself lots and lots of samples. All the suppliers will send you free ones. Mine was a random sample sent from the suppliers because he thought I might like it! He was right I loved it but didnt pick it out on the website.

Good luck

8 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

House near us has used timber treated with sioo.

It has a washed out pink appearance.

I asked about that because I could see it on my samples (cedar). They said it would die down with weathering OH wasnt convinced which is why we had it outside for so long and why I kept looking at other cladding. Russwood cladding is very good sioo maybe individual taste.Its a good low maintenance option for treating cladding if you like the colour while its weathering down.....it was not for us in the end.

I m another one who has used the new age Gris silvabp - I ve used the Cedar version. It’s been on just over a year and I m pleased so far - it’s also be used on a large shopping centre near me - that’s probably been in three years and I have nt seen any signs of discolouring/fading/weathering.

Thanks all, excellent hive mind thinking as ever.

We're quite taken with the idea of a powder coated aluminium brise soleil.  The south face of the house where the brise soleil is doesn't have any gables and so I don't think it's so crucial that the cladding matches.  I've been looking at a cladding from a firm called Dura Composites:

Flush 150 cladding

I'll get onto pricing up the brise soleil next.