Ducts and drains under a foundation slab.

So my drains and Radon sump are in position under my insulated foundation  slab. 

I’m now thinking of what else I should install under there, I’m thinking a duct for a power cable and a duct for a phone cable.

So is there anything else I should consider installing before it’s too late?

As many ducts as you think you will need plus at least 50% more! You can cap them off for later use if you dont need them all at the start.

We had far too few and it has resulted in us having pipes coming out of the building instead of through the slab which is very disappointing but thankfully hidden in the alley way at the back.....not a pretty sight down that alley with all the pipes and manholes etc its like the M1 for services. We didnt allow for gas needing a duct of its own or that certain others shouldn't share etc. Would have been so simple if I had properly researched rather than just think things would share etc.

I had provision for floor sockets put in too as I have a big open plan area and didnt want a cable for a lamp trailing across the room to a wall socket so ducts run under floor across to points in the floor where I wanted sockets. Used a former to keep the hole clear for the sockets to go into.

You're better off using a pre-insulated twin duct. 

I used Rehau Rauvitherm twin 32 dia pre-insulated.

Plus a duct for power to ASHP and another for data/comms

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1