Help me find a shower

1 hour ago, Jude1234 said:

Looks really good @lizzie what makes are they and where are they from?  Love your tiles as well, where are they from?

Thank you. 

All my bathrooms and tiles are from Porcelanosa.  Not cheap its high end but buy in the 40% off sale and it makes it much more affordable.  Next sale in May I think.  Pay 50% on order and other 50% when they deliver.  I bought all mine in January 2017 before we had the slab down.  They kept them until a few weeks ago until we ready to fit.  Great service and lovely products. I used them in my last house too.

Looks really good @lizzie what makes are they and where are they from?  Love your tiles as well, where are they from?

A thing I think I can see which adds the bling is mirror finish chromed tile trims. Chalk and cheese to the polished aluminium. Not cheap, but really look smart. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

A thing I think I can see which adds the bling is mirror finish chromed tile trims. Chalk and cheese to the polished aluminium. Not cheap, but really look smart. 

+1.

Pity SWMBO here wants WHITE PVC!  :(

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Pity SWMBO here wants WHITE PVC!  :(

I;m sure she would accept mirror finished chrome if she truly believed you would polish them on a weekly basis.  Lovely when clean but take some maintenance

So either white PVC or mirror finished chrome is the verdict rather than polished aluminium

12 hours ago, lizzie said:

Thank you. 

All my bathrooms and tiles are from Porcelanosa.  Not cheap its high end but buy in the 40% off sale and it makes it much more affordable.  Next sale in May I think.  Pay 50% on order and other 50% when they deliver.  I bought all mine in January 2017 before we had the slab down.  They kept them until a few weeks ago until we ready to fit.  Great service and lovely products. I used them in my last house too.

Do they always have a 40% sale in May? We will need tiles around then so it should work for us

Do they always have a 40% sale in May? We will need tiles around then so it should work for us

They have 2 sales a year normally.  I need a few bits and bibs and my local showroom said next sale due about May.

If you go in look around pick out what you like get some (free) designs done if required get your prices and then work back what it would be with the discount then you can see if it works.  Display prices are full price inc vat. My showroom will hold the quote on the system and action it when you ok it when sale kicks in.

Lovely place to go for ideas and a browse even if you end up not buying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something I suspect a lot of people overlook.

The thermal mixer cartridge is quite big. To stand a chance of being able to change it in the future, you need quite a big hole. I drilled one 65mm diameter that is just about big enough.

It's quite tight. Only about 6mm either side for the cover plate to cover, you need to be quite accurate with your drilling. The two black pen marks show where the cover plate covers to.

shower_valve.thumb.jpg.1f97e7abf2a67fe838efecd022f07195.jpg

I wonder how many people just drill a smaller hole like I have done for the top and bottom valves. That would be plenty to fit the cover tubes, but would be impossible to ever remove the thermal mixer cartridge and be "challenging" to later enlarge the hole.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Here is something I suspect a lot of people overlook.

The thermal mixer cartridge is quite big. To stand a chance of being able to change it in the future, you need quite a big hole. I drilled one 65mm diameter that is just about big enough.

It's quite tight. Only about 6mm either side for the cover plate to cover, you need to be quite accurate with your drilling. The two black pen marks show where the cover plate covers to.

shower_valve.thumb.jpg.1f97e7abf2a67fe838efecd022f07195.jpg

I wonder how many people just drill a smaller hole like I have done for the top and bottom valves. That would be plenty to fit the cover tubes, but would be impossible to ever remove the thermal mixer cartridge and be "challenging" to later enlarge the hole.

Doesn't @Nickfromwales advocate deeming that tile sacrificial as and when?

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Doesn't @Nickfromwales advocate deeming that tile sacrificial as and when?

Possible if it was a tile.

This is a 2400 by 1200 sheet of "wet wall" and the way it joins in the corners into extruded profiles, you would sequentially have to remove 2 other panels first.

Hence it has to be servicable from the front.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CC45 said:

@ProDave - what about access to the filters?  We've got the same shower - I've allowed for access to the filters - it from the front.  Another 2 holes needed if you want that option.

Where are the filters?

There are none on the input or output ports and no mention in the instructions.

There are two "unexplained" screws on the front labelled H and L are these what you talk about? I assumed there were high pressure / low pressure adjustment but have not touched them because again no mention of them in the instructions.

I can drill further holes as long as they will be covered by the front plate.

8 hours ago, CC45 said:

Those two screws sit on a hexagonal 'nut', undo it and you will find some plastic bits - filters in there.  You can actually see the filters if you look in the hot and cold supply.

Ah I see now. To get to those I can simply cut with the multi tool to join the 3 holes I have drilled into one big opening, so easy to do in situ.

Shame there was no mention of them in the instructions.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ah I see now. To get to those I can simply cut with the multi tool to join the 3 holes I have drilled into one big opening, so easy to do in situ.

Shame there was no mention of them in the instructions.

They're not just filters. They also look to be the NRVs too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well add to this thread!

So is this pebble grey, chrome plated or stainless steel? The price as well as it being Hudson Reed attracted me. Figured if 300mm dia isn't big enough it's relatively cheap to replace later.

https://www.pebblegrey.co.uk/product/chrome-slim-round-fixed-head-300mm-diameter

Cheers

EDIT Pebble Grey is the supplier! :):):) I have mind just had a big bottle of Cobra!

So...is it chrome plated or stainless?

Edited by Onoff

I am about to buy a new led torch - thats it.  Dont want too much stuff hanging around our site - bound to get broken & ties up cash too early!  Light positions & rainfall shower position dictates max 300mm head for ours, I assume you've already got their positions sorted?

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Might as well add to this thread!

So is this pebble grey, chrome plated or stainless steel? The price as well as it being Hudson Reed attracted me. Figured if 300mm dia isn't big enough it's relatively cheap to replace later.

https://www.pebblegrey.co.uk/product/chrome-slim-round-fixed-head-300mm-diameter

Suspect it is an end of line (but I'm ordering it too.)  Getting most of my stuff from British Bathroom Company, they do lots of Hudson Reid stuff but not this one