Final sign off without the garage.

This is just a theoretical situation.

If detailed planning permission is granted for a single detached house and adjacent garage would it be possible to advance the build of the main house and obtain final sign off leaving the garage as just footings?

I appreciate there would be a long term VAT penalty with such a plan when the garage is completed.

Guest Alphonsox

I asked  a similar question a year or so ago - In our case it was a "Sunroom"/conservatory that we have decided to delay building. My understanding is that once you have started on build you have an indefinite time in which to complete it from the planning point of view. So if you have planning for the garage as part of the overall development then there is no requirement to even put in the footings. You can get around to building the garage as and when you see fit. Building control and VAT are dealt with entirely separately.

EDIT :-

See this thread

@Alphonsox from what you say it appears the system is flexible and so I can halt before the garage is built, cash in the VAT and then continue with the released VAT to fund the garage.

Thinking about this a little deeper, could it result in BC never getting an opportunity to visit and sign off the final phase of work e.g. check that the garage is structurally sound?

Guest Alphonsox

The garage build may well be seen as a separate development by BC once you've had the house signed off, but it would be worth asking them.

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

The garage build may well be seen as a separate development by BC once you've had the house signed off, but it would be worth asking them.

Sounds logical and I guess further fees expected as well.