Ian D

Hi after a day of frustration am looking for advice on what we can fit on our 3/4 acre level plot to Maxamise the value so it leaves us with a plot to build and hopefully be mortgage free at the end.

What we need really is out line plan of what we can get on the site while us regaining the existing bungalow PLOT and then re building it within that plot trying to maintain maximum seclusion for us.

Looking at values it may make more sense to build small mews style homes if we are going to build out the whole site.

Custom build would be interested in helping us develop the site if we were to go down the route of gaining planning for individual serviced plots using a government grant to fund the infrastructure.and also allowing each self builder to design their own home.

Wigan.gov.uk

All site planning details are here A/13/78779

Have I got this right?  You are thinking of either

• selling plots of land to finance your own self-build

Or

• building some houses to finance your own build

Tell us about the research you have already done.  No point in us suggesting ideas you have already had is there?

34 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Have I got this right?  You are thinking of either

• selling plots of land to finance your own self-build

Or

• building some houses to finance your own build

Tell us about the research you have already done.  No point in us suggesting ideas you have already had is there?

Hi Yes thats correct , have spoke to a couple of architects and getting quotes for a design layout but its pricy 

Would it not be just easier to sell the land and use this money for your own. You will have no hassle of building other people's houses which considering your going to be moving next door will be blessing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Would it not be just easier to sell the land and use this money for your own. You will have no hassle of building other people's houses which considering your going to be moving next door will be blessing. 

yep am think that myself 

I struggled to see what you want.

You already have OPP to build 4 houses, and the plans though only outline looked fairly advanced.

If you wanted to have one for yourself, then sell 3 of the plots and keep one for yourself.  You talk of the "bungalow plot" but that is in the middle. If I were keeping one for myself, I would want an end one.

If cash flow is the issue, I would sell the one nearest the road first as that is the simplest to get access to. Use the proceeds from that to put the access road and services for the other plots, and keep the furthest from the road for yourself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Keep 2 for yourself 

live in 1 once built . Then move into the other once built . No tax ?

You could still be liable to tax in this scenario if the taxman believes this was always your intention

Edited by Trw144

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I struggled to see what you want.

You already have OPP to build 4 houses, and the plans though only outline looked fairly advanced.

If you wanted to have one for yourself, then sell 3 of the plots and keep one for yourself.  You talk of the "bungalow plot" but that is in the middle. If I were keeping one for myself, I would want an end one.

If cash flow is the issue, I would sell the one nearest the road first as that is the simplest to get access to. Use the proceeds from that to put the access road and services for the other plots, and keep the furthest from the road for yourself.

That planning has lapsed we thinking we may get more on 

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

Then you need to do it cleverly ...... ?

A nice 3 year plan ( assuming that’s how long planning is valid for before you start ) - can net you a nice mortgage free property ....

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

A nice 3 year plan ( assuming that’s how long planning is valid for before you start )

Just curious, when planning permission is granted for multiple houses on a plot is it necessary to commence the build of all houses within the 3 year period? 

3 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Just curious, when planning permission is granted for multiple houses on a plot is it necessary to commence the build of all houses within the 3 year period? 

I’d assume so for a small development. Though perhaps that could be ‘haggled’ as a detail once planning achieved ...

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

As long as you have dug a strip footing and sent pictures and documented with the local authority i believe it is considered a material start and you can extend the permission 

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

No.

My previous house was one of 2 plots that were granted outline planning in one planning application.

You can't start building with just outline planning. So the 2 plots were sold, with outline planning and then each owner submitted their own full planning application. Each of our applications was separate with it's own approval date and expiry date.

This is what will happen if you sell the plots individually.

• Like 1