We have full planning permissions to demolish a stone built cottage and rebuild it with block and render.

In addition we will extend, at the same time. 

Both the cottage and the extension will be a timber kit. 

The extension will give an addition 100% floor space to the property, and it will be clad in Siberian larch timber.

We are currently trying to mortgage through Buildstore. They are quite adamant that any mortgage we take will require the extension to have a block work skin.

Is this correct?

Has anyone else come up against this? 

Is there a way round it?

I found Buildstore very inflexible when it didn't fit one of their predefined boxes (though I am stuck with them).  People here have found going direct to some lenders easier.

Ask them to justify 'why' if your plan is an established route with certification, If they want your business (money) they will have to accomodate you.

Be warned their inspectors don't understand innovative (mine had never seen/heard of an ICF), i would use other inspection regimes (I ditched them)

• Like 1

Have you checked the lenders website (might need to go into the intermediaries section), most of them will include details of the type of construction they will accept.

That should allow you to confirm that the decision is coming from the lender rather than Buildstore?

• Thanks 1

I'm currently going through Buildstore and they did mention issues as mine is timber frame, part skinned in weatherboard and part blockwork. So far it's not been a problem but the mortgage is only in principal at the moment.

Not very many people have good things to say about Buildstore on here. 

• Thanks 1