Wall Hung Frame / Cistern issues

I seem to be on a roll with plumbing woes in this house but all the plumbing seems to be a disaster area here. On top of the issues with the heating none of the cisterns work correctly here either, and there are a lot of them :S. They all seem to have the same issue mostly. I'm not sure whether it's because we had a bad batch or whether we had a bad plumber, or both! Essentially most of them seem to continue to run water once they have been flushed. I can stop it by continuing to press the button which eventually causes it to stop. I haven't yet been able to get a plumber out here to fix them (plus a few other bathroom related issues) but is it likely that I will need to replace the whole cistern, or can these things generally be fixed easily via spare parts? It just seems odd that all of them have the same problem pretty much (to varying degrees). I just want to ensure that I have an idea about the fix before someone tries to tell me something very different. Thanks :)

24 minutes ago, newhome said:

I saw your epic thread in this section @Onoff! How far have you still got to go?:o

A fair way... :ph34r:

Let's just say some on here have built complete houses in the time I've taken over this one room.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

A fair way... :ph34r:

Let's just say some on here have built complete houses in the time I've taken over this one room.

Cheer up, you may be done before I get all my snagging sorted :D. I will bloody get it done tho even if it kills me :D

Ok thanks. Is that where I get spares from too? I guess you have to get the exact cistern to fit the frame, so are restricted on make if you want to replace them? These seem much more annoying to have fixed than a normal loo TBH! 

BEtween a cheap frame and the pan you have a potential recipe for a disaster.

If you are putting in a frame always go Geberit. They look like very simple products on the face of it but somehow Geberit get it right much more often than others. Its worth the extra money. Any remedial work will cost several times the saving.

I am not always going to recommend branded toilets, but I do think for wall hung pans, its again worth going branded to get better dimensional accuracy and smoother junctions where it matters. Ceramic is not cheaper for nothing. Its all made the same way till you find out that the rejection rate on some of the top brands is as high as 30% whereas the lesser brands and unbranded stuff will allow more rubbish to go through. I have visited a factory where they make this and I was astonished at the level of investment and automation.

• Like 2

Too late for me though. I am where I am. Good advice for others though :)

In my defence only I paid the bills. Believe me there are no end of things I wish we’d done differently. 

Edited by newhome

The plumber (jury is still out) had set all mine to high to begin with. There was a tiny plastic clip on the unit where the water comes in. I just removed it pushed it down a few clicks and put the clip back in. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It may just be a case of adjusting the turn screw that governs how high the water level gets before the float valve stops the water from filling any higher. 

Should be an easy fix tbh.

I have thought about replacing the whole frame / cistern for the loos I use most often if these are going to keep playing up so would go for that if it’s better longer term. I wouldn’t change them all as I barely use the rest. 

10 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The plumber (jury is still out) had set all mine to high to begin with. There was a tiny plastic clip on the unit where the water comes in. I just removed it pushed it down a few clicks and put the clip back in. 

I am hopeless at DIY. I look at YouTube videos and it all looks easy. Try it myself and it gets super fecked :ph34r:.

• Haha 1

On 05/03/2018 at 10:23, newhome said:

I am hopeless at DIY. I look at YouTube videos and it all looks easy. Try it myself and it gets super fecked :ph34r:.

me too!  It looks so easy but isnt.  and we never have the right screwdriver/drill bit etc!  How many drill bits have you got now?:D

2 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

me too!  It looks so easy but isnt.  and we never have the right screwdriver/drill bit etc!  How many drill bits have you got now?:D

Ha ha, it was screwdriver bits  I bought not drill bits. Another 51 just to ensure I had one that fitted 9_9. Me plus a drill don't make a good combo :D. I might have to brave one at some point though. I changed the battery in the car remote a couple of days ago having looked at a Youtube video. It looked pretty straightforward and I was quite chuffed when I managed the bit that the video said could be fiddly. Then I couldn't get the bloody thing back together O.o. I did manage it eventually but jeez I can make the most straightforward practical task difficult :ph34r:. Hubby did the practical stuff whereas I did all the organising and paperwork. Practical things are anathema to me sadly. Must try harder I guess!  

• Like 1