What is typical temperature rating of a LED bulb?

readiescards

Following on from:

I'm trying to locate a LED E27 bulb that is states it is ok to be used in 50 + degC - but have failed to Google up any temperature ratings for LED bulbs.  

Any one know what temperature a LED bulb can run in - or will they have very short lifes without reasonable cooling?

Thanks

Paul

As LEDs are semi-conductors high temperatures will greatly reduce their life expectancy, so it's not a very good idea to fit them in areas were the temperature will be high. GU10 LEDs in ceiling fittings are notorious for having a high failure rate and that's just self heating with inadequate ventilation.

However, have you checked the temperature on the hearth lower than the stove? It always seems quite cool there to me, unless you have the burner running full blast all day.

I wholeheartedly agree with @billt.  Some of our older LEDs (now replaced) were running at around 80 deg C quite happily, without problems.  The problems aren't really the LED, but the heat in the LED driver, so if you can fit LEDs with a remote driver, away from the heat source, then the risk of damage, even when running with the stove lit, or emitting residual heat from having been lit, should be pretty low.

• Like 1