Sewage treatment plant for 5 houses - 38 persons

readiescards

In process of converting a farm barn to a holiday cottage.  Had planned to install a single property sewage treatment plant (maybe a Clearfox - expensive but quiet and low maintenance and zero running costs).  However longer term I might convert two more barns and longer term again the current old but working septic tanks might need replacing.

Any suggestions for a suitable system (and rough costs if known) for a 5 property sewage treatment plant capable of handling 19 bedrooms (38 persons) - into a soak away or maybe water course.  (Plenty of land all down hill from all the properties.)

Will building control allow a shared system for multiple properties? I thought they discouraged that?

The people that make mine Conder do large systems http://www.premiertechaqua.co.uk/products/wastewater/conder-saf-sewage-treatment-plant.aspx#

In fact quite a few different systems are available http://www.drainstore.com/sewage-treatment-plants/26-50-sewage-treatment-plant.html

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that all the main suppliers offer a table which matches their products to 'demand' .

I understand that intermittent use is challenging for off mains systems. That leads me to guess that something which injects a small air 'trickle' through the liquor might well be useful. 

Paul Usher from Klargester has been a tremendous help to us: he was honest enough to (after two site meetings) suggest we didn't need one of his products. He also has (had?) a blog about off mains drainage. Top bloke.

Ian

• Like 1

As @recoveringacademic says the issue is intermittent use and the buildup of nitrates in the tank. I installed a big commercial Biodisk unit (18,000 litre) and it has a recirc pump on it that keeps recycling clean water into the main tank if the level gets too low - this reduces nitrate buildup apparently. 

You may be better with 2 or 3 smaller ones - or speak to someone like MPC Services who I can recommend as being excellent  with this sort of thing. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...