House Planning Help podcast, HPH207, where Ben opens his tenders. Petrifying!

Has anyone else listened to House Planning Help podcast HPH207 where Ben Adam Smith opens his tender returns? Punchline: Ben's tender returns all come back at least 50% over budget. I found it quite petrifying. What does everyone think?

(For those wondering what I am referring to look here: https://www.houseplanninghelp.com/hph207-opening-our-tender-returns-with-ben-and-kay-adam-smith/)

p.s. not a TV show but a podcast. 

Edited by Dreadnaught

10 minutes ago, Ralph said:

In my experience that's about right on the range, over budget by 50% - 100%. 

Thanks. Blimey! I am contemplating my own build. Why do cost exceed £2000 per sq.m? Like Ben, I was assuming an estimate of £2k per sq.m would be generous and assuming it would come out at less!

Just now, Dreadnaught said:

Thanks. Blimey! I am contemplating my own build. Why do cost exceed £2000 per sq.m? Like Ben, I was assuming an estimate of £2k per sq.m would be generous and assuming it would come out at less!

There are so many factors, as we're finding out. Utilities and ground works bit us the hardest, then you've got level of finish. What got me was the range on exactly the same spec. If mine hits £2k per sqm (minus plot) I'm screwed.

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

@Ralph I just went a read your "Hello" thread. Really interesting! 

Interested in starting a blog I wonder? I could learn a lot from following your journey.

Kind of you to say,  I have thought about it,  but have been put of by the amount of on our plates at the moment and that's planning on using a contractor. Hats off to the people on here, how they manage to hold down and job, self build, comment on here and have a blog is beyond me. BTW thanks for pointing me to House Planning Help podcast, looks like it could be good.