DIY mobile work plaftorm

ToughButterCup

We have bought some kwikstage. Love it.

A bit of me fantasies about using heavy castors  on the bottom of a standard  lift , knocking up some outriggers from normal scaffold and bingo. .....

Mobile work platform.9_9

@Construction Channel will be asked to put a lawn mower engine on it, so SWMBO can move it with one hand, and @Onoff can put me some half decent flood lights on so I can work all night, @nod can pop me a temporary roof on,  so I can work in the rain. 

Oh, how long does it take  an @Onoff to install floodlights? Hmmm.

Runner? Fantasy?

a couple of things, 

1, don't use a lawn mower engine as you know the one time you really need to use it the poxy thing won't start, also you will permanently add a can of petrol to your site so you will then have to be more careful with grinders and such like, personally I would go for something electric if it needs it but realistically if you use good/big enough castors it shouldn't need mechanical power to move.

2, I bought a pair of these flood lights recently, 50w so technically as powerful as a standard 500w halogen, ip65 so you can leave them outside, plus they are led so they just dont break like the halogen alternatives, ( only issue is they come with a very short flex and no plug but im sure a man of your capabilities could sort that out)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074KVL7X1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

possibly something like this might help you move it about, assuming you were only working on one flank you could even pull yourself along while controlling it from the top :) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-748850-Electric-Vehicle-Capacity/dp/B0161AC4EW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1520158432&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=electric+winch

What you need is a few drones (like they used at the Winter Olympics) to hold the floodlights and a bigger set to hold you so you can fly around the site. If you apply the very latest in machine learning you can probably make them fetch tools you have forgotten to take to the top of the tower with you but as you will be flying yourself you can just whizz over and collect them. You can also get one for the other half and the programming possibilities are myriad. (Sorry its a cold and wet Sunday!)

Standard scaffold tower wheels will probably fit the poles of Kwikstage.  I know our builders used their own Cuplock scaffold and had wheels for that.

These look cheap but I would want to ask the weight loading they can take https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-scaffolding-castor-wheels-60mm-or-47mm/253455861342?hash=item3b0325865e:g:dkYAAOSwLdBaBIxO

These look a lot better for not much more money https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-8-x-2-Polyurethane-Castors-Scaffold-Wheels-Set-of-4-Casters-HQ/142278606743?hash=item2120773f97:g:40kAAOSw32lYouwZ

Proper Kwikstage castors are about £45 per corner and have the jackleg built into them. I considered cutting down some spare legs and adding heavy duty castors as that came in much cheaper. 

On those linked, Kwikstage has an internal diameter of around 41mm and external is 49mm so you need something that fits tightly otherwise it will bend. 

I bought some cheap casters off ebay, they fit over the verticals and are a larger diameter. The stop screw helps but not perfect, sloppy fit! The wheel is solid plastic so could damage a floor. Fine for my needs on the slab. 

Kwik stage on wheels= very handy? get the heavy duty wheels. We had it double height at one point. Also used it move beams and jack up beams to 9ft. Now on the look out for short transoms 2ft8 so we can wheel it through door ways 

Screenshot_20180304-185822.png

Screenshot_20180304-185818.png

9 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Kwik stage on wheels= very handy? get the heavy duty wheels. We had it double height at one point. Also used it move beams and jack up beams to 9ft. Now on the look out for short transoms 2ft8 so we can wheel it through door ways [..]

Right, that does it. On order first thing tomorrow.

Jacking up beams = go on, tell me more.....  How did you rises that beam? You've got me hooked now, really hooked

Short trannies? Is there such a thing? Where? How? Who?

9 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Now on the look out for short transoms 2ft8 so we can wheel it through door ways 

Got some of those - think I have 4..??

They are only 2 board width though so it can feel a little “wobbly” ... 

31 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hurry up and get finished and I will have your kwickstage. 

How much do you want ..?? I’ve to 48ft at single lift plus some extras such as 2 board steps and 2 board transoms..!

Won’t work on a 2 board but you can just swing a diagonal out and pack it with blocks. 

Other way is to put a transom on each side with a short stub and jack leg on it and that  tends to stiffen the lot up.