Toy list

Alexphd1

I am planning a small project of a wine rack under the stair. Local cabinet maker has came back at a hefty price so was planning a diy attempt in American oak. So i need some new toys.... 

Router:- was looking at the 2000w dewalt one. Plus table prob diy.

2nd fix Nail gun. Dewalt dcn660 (already many batteries)  will have to buy this at some point anyway.

Table saw. I haven't got a clue where to start. Doesn't need to be mobile I like options for guide rails etc. 

Came to conclusion buy new for 1st 2 tools in list as they hold value pretty well.

Any options or opinions on all 3 tools. greatly welcome.

Something like this.

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 1

Just stick matrix of big Starrett holes through a couple of matched pieces of decent ply. Space one off the wall by a couple of inches and the other a few inches in front of that.

Edit: Just Google "hole saw wine rack". Loads of ideas. You can still use oak.

Edited by Onoff

7 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

I am planning a small project of a wine rack under the stair. [...] so was planning a diy attempt in American oak. So i need some new toys.... 

[...]

American oak. Hmm. Lovely, but expensive and hard work. @Onoff 's idea is good but -sounds like- not your thing. 

There are some really nice plywoods around ? As @lizzie (well it was @Hecateh ....) says Pintrest is your friend.

New toys:

Q: How many do you need  ?

A: (n+1)

Edited by PeterW
To save the embarrassment of @recoveringacademic

I have the Dewalt DWE7491 table saw and its incredibly accurate, very loud. The fence is very solid. Highly recommend but its not the cheapest saw. Expect to pay £720 inc vat   

Hecateh, that's the very picture that started this nut job idea rolling.... wish I never seen it now.

I am impressed with that wine rack plus site I have seen similar sites from America not here. Will need to study further. 

• Like 2

@Alexphd1 if you can find one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DeWalt-DW746-Sliding-Table-Taw/202226921926?hash=item2f15a9f1c6:g:ndsAAOSwcC1agfDj  the best table saw and i'm not a fan of the black and yellow. 

one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elu-MOF177E-Type-4-Original-case-and-guides-Rarely-used/232684238515?hash=item362d0fb6b3:g:ks8AAOSwQSNamTI1

the original and superior to the dewalt/trend of the same body shape.

I like the look, but am never convinced by those compartments that stack one bottle on another as it means

a You are committed to buying crates of the same wine, which can be fine but that pre-guesses how many types of similar you will have, or

b You face the 100% probability that the one you want is at the bottom.

@Alexphd1 will you be temperature controlling it?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Alexphd1 said:

no havent thought about temp, only be red with a short shelf life......

A man after my own heart - which means it's relatively easy to buy 6 of the same and stack them - and have somewhere to transfer one or 2 to for specials - when you want a favourite to start with.

51 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I think you need to aim a bit higher...or is that lower?

briefly discussed a poor man's version of this with my builder as I have a 1m (ish) void below my utility - Decided the way I went through red wine it wasn't worth it LOL

18 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

A man after my own heart - which means it's relatively easy to buy 6 of the same and stack them - and have somewhere to transfer one or 2 to for specials - when you want a favourite to start with.

briefly discussed a poor man's version of this with my builder as I have a 1m (ish) void below my utility - Decided the way I went through red wine it wasn't worth it LOL

You should have said, I sense the 100gal cws tank I've recently given away would have stored a couple of weeks worth!

circular-cold-water-storage-tanks.thumb.jpg.1772522be4dd671565ec1c5c7abbfed7.jpg

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I think you need to aim a bit higher...or is that lower?

fitted one of those, or at least its precursor many moons ago for a harley st. doctor in the back end of nowhere, didn't have an auto door but everything else hasn't changed.

7 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

fitted one of those, or at least its precursor many moons ago for a harley st. doctor in the back end of nowhere, didn't have an auto door but everything else hasn't changed.

I reckon a mechanism on the lines of a Paternoster lift would be cool.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.5a20a7e7bdd38feba84149ac30b42d3d.jpg

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You should have said, I sense the 100gal cws tank I've recently given away would have stored a couple of weeks worth!

Maybe!  but

i like the paternoster - when I wake up I can either go to bed or get up = depending on the time - where I am

Edited by Hecateh

@Alexphd1 it was a good price, can't really justify myself but if it had been a bit cheaper i would have! i recently bought a norsaw 1603, nice big 400mm blade, heavy bit of kit.  as to the charnwood, it seems to be a competent saw,  table seems a bit small. the other option is to buy an old 3phase and have the motor rewound to single phase.