No need to disagree @jamiehamy : yours is a sensible, measured approach.

And, despite what Durisol claim @Luckylad (here's their claim they call bracing 'propping') you should take @jamiehamy's advice very seriously.

Dursiol visited us post collapse, and in the absence of the builder (who refused to attend the meeting) suggested that the builder had 'gone too far'. Close questioning from my wife (citing the website reference to propping) elicited  a patronising response from the Managing Director. He simply walked away and did not reply.  

It's a question of balance. A  Dursiol-experienced project manager would be able to judge whether or not propping is necessary.  I am told that many Durisol builds do not use props. I have no independent evidence for that claim.

Given the company's pitch to self-builders relies heavily on that claim; the company should consider presenting clear evidence to support it.  We made that point forcefully (and believe me it was forceful) at the time.

I would use Durisol again, and I would try to save the expense of unnecessary propping.  Until the company provides clearly evidenced reasoning why and why not  self-builders should prop / shutter  then it's a question of judgement. 

PS, there's a Durisol build this week in Lancaster: I'll do some polite research and get back to you (all)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

No need to disagree @jamiehamy : yours is a sensible, measured approach.

And, despite what Durisol claim @Luckylad (here's their claim they call bracing 'propping') you should take @jamiehamy's advice very seriously.

Dursiol visited us post collapse, and in the absence of the builder (who refused to attend the meeting) suggested that the builder had 'gone too far'. Close questioning from my wife (citing the website reference to propping) elicited  a patronising response from the Managing Director. He simply walked away and did not reply.  

It's a question of balance. A  Dursiol-experienced project manager would be able to judge whether or not propping is necessary.  I am told that many Durisol builds do not use props. I have no independent evidence for that claim.

Given the company's pitch to self-builders relies heavily on that claim; the company should consider presenting clear evidence to support it.  We made that point forcefully (and believe me it was forceful) at the time.

I would use Durisol again, and I would try to save the expense of unnecessary propping.  Until the company provides clearly evidenced reasoning why and why not  self-builders should prop / shutter  then it's a question of judgement. 

That's fair enough! I wouldn't disagree some bits you could assess and fairly determine that a section doesn't need it - I'm definitely of the safe rather than sorry camp - but I suppose we had to be as we were in an exposed location and we pouring up for 3.3m - and had never done ICF before. Even looking back at your pics, it does make you shiver about what might have happened if you'd gone for a check in the night to see all was okay (like I would do in the late evenings sometimes on way home from somewhere). 

:)

Yes @jamiehamy, I have been flattened by those katabatic  winds on Mull, Loch Eriboll and Loch Fyne; nearly pitched off the aft deck of a 70 foot  Mc Gruer ketch. No safety line, no life jacket. Ah the 70s, they were great.

I still feel sick every time an easterly is forecast. Every time the shell of the house just shrugs it off. Concrete, good stuff.: 

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Cheap plug there?

One more supplier name to add to the bin.

Already checked by mods and unlikely to be what you're thinking, although I can see what it looks like!