Feasibility study

Ian D

I think that £600 will get about 1.5->2 days of time as a maximum unless there is a special factor involved, and 25-30% of that will be writing, so I hope you wouldn't expect too much.

Unless it is a very simple, focussed brief I would be concerned about the thoroughness that is possible.

If t is a general brief, he will need nearly a day to get to grips with your planning app and the history.

With such a small quote the precision of your brief and telling the consultant what not to do will be crucial.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ian D said:

To tell us what we can get on our site as we looking at poss building more than one house the site has lapsed planning for 4 detached dwellings 

Aha. That looks doable if the consultant is familiar with the local Council policies. But it might be productive to specify a memo report not a posh report.

When I look I was a little concerned about all those trees ... particularly the long row of 70ft Lombardies and who would own them as it looked like common space, and about the house orientation with the back gardens facing. North iirc.

Without researching local prices, I might look at 2 or 3 with a different orientation, possibly a bigger one for you and two smaller houses.

Beware of TPOs, so deal with your trees before PP application.

F

3 minutes ago, Ian D said:

It’s an Architech who does the whole solution and it’s for planning and a site lay out

What does 'Planning' mean here? What scope will he cover? Does that include the application?

Edited by Ferdinand

57 minutes ago, Ian D said:

The trees are on our land so we own them 

@Ian D

I was looking at the existing planning app, where the Lombardies are a line alongside the common drive/parking area, so could fall into a common ownership of some sort depending on how it is all set up in the new scheme.

The trees circled are the ones where future ownership would not be clear, and the back gardens of the houses lose their sunny aspect as they are on the north side.

That S106 also looks nebulous - afaics it does not say what the Planning Obligation sum is. That may be to your advantage as you can negotiate it or possibly change your Planning App to avoid it entirely.

20180301-wigan-plot.jpg.69205a9e1abce5a4703ca270ee2f7564.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

I think that is quite a good scoping study to give a sanity check on the possibility of a project.

Clearly they know the Council and the Locality.

There is much work to be done after receiving such a document, and the creation of specific proposals plus exploration of more technical constraints, but it is a good start at identifying site and planning policy questions.

IMO decent value, although the sort of thing some on here would be do ourselves. If I couldn't do an initial assessment myself or had too much on I would pay them that much quite happily.

I think that a brief with specific questions and areas of interest may extract even more value.

The only obvious mistake at a quick scan is the suggestion that Trees in Conservation Areas have the same protection as a TPO .. in fact the TPO process to do things to a tree is a free Planning Application needing specific approval ( with an exception of dead, decaying, dangerous or diseased) whilst Conservation Area tree work is give notice and proceed if the Council do not react.

But to be fair to them they err on the side of caution wrt to CA trees, which is the right side to be.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I think that is quite a good scoping study to give a sanity check on the possibility of a project.

Clearly they know the Council and the Locality.

There is much work to be done after receiving such a document, and the creation of specific proposals plus exploration of more technical constraints, but it is a good start at identifying site and planning policy questions.

IMO decent value, although the sort of thing some on here would be do ourselves. If I couldn't do an initial assessment myself or had too much on I would pay them that much quite happily.

Ferdinand

Thank you