Miele 5 Year Warranty

AliG

Any thoughts on this one?

Before Christmas I bought a Miele Washer and dryer. Total cost almost £2400.

Part of the attraction was a 5 year guarantee on the washing machine. There was also cash back on both products.

With delays in the build they did not get installed and we left them wrapped up for safety.

In January when looking to make the cash back claim I noticed that the 5 year warranty was listed on the same promotions page. The promotion said that it had to be claimed within 28 days of purchase. I had no idea when I purchased them that this was also a promotion.

To claim the 5 year warranty you need the Serial Numbers. This is not on the packaging, you have to unwrap them to get it. In contrast I registered my LG TV straight away that is still in the box as the serial number was on the box.

I emailed when I discovered this issue and basically they replied, tough, more than 28 days had passed.

Today I got the serial numbers and called them up. I checked the website and it just says 5 year warranty with no mention of any special T&Cs. It says this in three separate places, nowhere does it mention it is a promotion and you have 28 days to claim it.

The very patronising person on the phone today told me it was my fault and the T&Cs were freely available elsewhere on the website. Any mention of T&Cs would have me reading them and adhering to them. I knew that the cash back had to be claimed by today hence I made sure that the builders got me the serial numbers.

I said that as far in my opinion this was sharp practice to avoid giving people the warranty.

I am awaiting a call from someone more senior.

I have already made a complaint to the ASA. The warranty is well advertised with no mention of special T&Cs.

On looking on Trustpilot, I see that people are generally appalled with the level of customer service that Miele now provide.

If nothing else asking this question may help other people avoid this issue. I am sure that other people buy the machines and don't even register, only finding out they don't have a warranty when they try to claim.

I bought a VAX and it broke 5 years from purchase, with a 6 year warranty. They just sent me a new one, no argument. That is good customer service.

Sorry if this thread is problematic in light of other threads, but I am annoyed. The 5 year warranty is well advertised and clearly encourages people to buy the products. Trying to wriggle out of giving it to people via the use of hard to find T&Cs is very unreasonable. The only reason for this T&C is to avoid giving people the warranty.

Edited by AliG

There are a few genuine companies that still believe in providing customer service and goodwill. One such replaced a mini vacuum for my parents well outside warranty, agreeing that the failure was unreasonable.

Others offer these things to sell more products then find all kinds of excuses to either avoid the warranty being valid, or refusing the claim. They hide behind small print, by this point the sales have happened. I had the same issue with another branded washing machine. Refuse to buy their products ever again.

1 minute ago, dpmiller said:

I'm very surprised there's no label with the serial no. on the outside of the packaging. Thought it was de rigueur these days.

They told me I should have opened up the packaging to check it as soon as it was delivered. It would be crazy to open up an expensive item on a building site until ready to install it. I too expected to be able to get the serial number without taking off the protective packaging.

TBH if I had known about the 28 day issue I would have opened it up and got the serial number anyway, it just made it a little more awkward and didn't help.

The real issue is that they just say it has a 5 year warranty with no mention of it being a promotion or any special T&Cs. I only found this out accidentally when I was reading about an unrelated thing on the website. I am sure a lot of people have bought these washing machines and have no idea that they do not have the warranty that they expect to have.

@dpmiller

I had to check I wasn't missing something.

This is a direct quote from an email I received from Miele customer service

"Unfortunately, there is no way to access the serial number without unpacking the appliances. All appliances should be unpacked upon delivery to check for any damage from delivery or from being stored in the warehouses."

The Miele website says that the data plate is inside the door of the washing machine and the serial number is in the format NR xx/xxxxxxxxx. This does not appear on the label on the package.

However, looking at the picture of the label the builder sent me it says- Fabr Nr : xxxxxxxxx.

The Fabr. Nr.  is the second part of the serial number. However, considering they told me that the serial number was not on the packaging, it is labeled differently to what they say it will be on their website and it is in a different format I am not sure how I was supposed to know this.

It is somewhat of a moot point as I didn't look for the serial number until more than 28 days after purchase due to this T&C not being made obvious.

Edited by AliG

I had an issue with Miele years ago. I now only have their vacuum cleaner. Where possible  I stick with Neff these days, I like their products and they have good service for faults under warranty.  I had my old neff fridge and freezer  25 years and still going strong when I sold the house.  Had zanussi washer dryer lasted 15 years 

I think the thing with Miele is that their stuff works better, and in general for much longer, than that of other manufacturers. It's when thing go bad that they seem to fall apart. I beggars belief that a company can sell such a premium product and yet apparently be so bad at customer service.

• Like 1

All other items in the house will be Siemens. I have had them in the past and they have been reasonably reliable and there have been no issues with obtaining service when problems occurred. I did have one combination oven microwave which kept breaking the same way, but they kept fixing it under the extended warranty.

Only on the new washer and dryer did I feel that the large Miele premium might be worth it. I also like that they are quieter. So far I am very disappointed in my dealings with them. I hadn't looked at Trustpilot due to their reputation, but the reviews of their service are very bad.

I am well aware that these things often have strict T&Cs, I knew that for the cashback and have complied with it. In my opinion they hid that the warranty was a similar promotion which is false advertising and I have complained about this.

I managed to get the most basic Miele washer on special so it was merely expensive at the time not extortionate. There was a similar thing with cash back and warranty and I hope I managed to respond in time to get the enhanced warranty. Like in this case, we were a building site at the time so delayed the delivery somewhat from when it was ordered but I was probably late. There was so much going on at the time I can't recall and frankly was past caring.

We are 3 years down the line and *touch wood* it is ok despite my wife's best efforts in destroying washing machines. I was more concerned about getting the 7 years on the Baxi boiler. I have a letter, somewhere...

Had decent service off NEFF so far, oven door fell off a couple of months ago and they put it back.

I would add that trying to install even a small Miele washer when you are struck down with a UTI is not a good idea.

We got a really expensive Mercury range cooker in blueberry colour.  The enamel on the front panel got damaged by something falling on it.  It left a really obvious chip so we got the cosmetic repair guy to sort it.  He filled it and said it would be best to go to Mercury for the paint as it need to be fire resistant etc.  My wife phoned last week and was told they would supply and fit a new panel F.O.C.  We did not take out any insurance for this, so I guess it is just their policy.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Jesus!!!

In fairness £2100 after cashback is taken off, but still way higher than other makes which might give you an expectation of better service.

That was at a heavy discount to the list prices which would be around £3000 which is crazy.

They better last the 20 years that they are supposed to.

My thoughts exactly. If they have budgeted for giving people a 5 year warranty then they shouldn’t care what date you apply. Indeed I believe the machines are delivered direct from the manufacturer and thus they shouldn’t really need you to register for the warranty at all.

Thus my opinion is that the T&Cs are deliberately hidden to reduce the cost of giving out warranties.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AliG said:

Indeed I believe the machines are delivered direct from the manufacturer and thus they shouldn’t really need you to register for the warranty at all.

I bought a Miele washing machine last year (similar deal - on special, with cashback and free 1 yr detergent, plus 5 year warranty). It arrived with literally no screws holding the rear panel on!

From my subsequent conversations with the retailer to get it replaced, they are indeed delivered direct from Miele.

• 3 weeks later...