Steading (barn) conversion

Robjones

OK, it's a bit lonely and quiet in here, but I guess this is the right place for my new project so here we go.

This is right at the very start and was hoping to start this after the initial meeting with our architect. However the snow here in the North East of Scotland is REALLY bad today and the appointment has been postponed until next week.

Anyway, this would be my first project of this size. I intend to get the roof and glazing professionally done, but the rest will be myself. Well, that's the plan at this early stage. I work from home on a part time basis, so I'm fortunate to have the time and be onsite. The plan is for this to be an investment. At the end the intension would be to sell both properties and move on. How realistic that is, will be up for debate and discovery! this is outline of the plan:

We have a very rural three bed house here in the North East of Scotland and as is often the case here, it came with various outbuildings and a small steading which is just a Scottish term for a barn. We've done a lot of work to the house, and now it's time to carry out our long held plans to convert the steading into a small 2 bed dwelling - if possible, allowable and feasible of course.

The building is of granite construction and apart from some lime pointing, the walls are solid and true. The rood will of probably have to be completely rebuilt with the intension of slate tiling, but hopefully some of the main beams can be re-used. Though of course, some are rotten.

Originally, the building had an extension on the left of the main picture below which you can see the signs of mortar of - just above the tyres. We hope to restore this small extension and hope this - together with original pictures from the 60's we have - will help get this through planning. This would give us a large mezzanine type master bedroom, with a smaller one at the opposite end. We also intend to install a large window where you see the existing doors and blockwork. 

It is only a small barn (lets call it that from now on), but I feel it would be still a good size for open plan kitchen/diner and living space + 2 beds, bathroom and utility.

The overall internal size is 5m x 16m which I believe would be small, but perfectly formed - especially if we get the small extension approved.

I would welcome with open arms any comments, questions or experiences anyone has had. At this very early stage, I feel a little overwhelmed yet excited about it all. Yet I know there are going to be some painful times ahead.

I will keep this thread alive and will let you know what the architect says on Monday. Hoping the snow stops by then!

Cheers,

IMAG1558.thumb.jpg.ffd817587d564d16ff998c2e37a09f15.jpg

IMAG1556.thumb.jpg.ca9be196c7ea966ae9f61a97be856214.jpg

That looks an interesting project.  Just be warned there may not be much in the way of foundations under that. Someone local to me bought a steading for conversion and when they started scraping away the earth floor to lay a new solid floor, found the walls just to be sat on the earth and unstable. He ended up knocking down and rebuilding. Lets hope yours is better.

Making new openings in those walls will be challenging.

For upstairs. I would be thinking of dormers, or I much prefer as I have done on my house little "gable ends" gives so much more room upstairs.

render_13.thumb.jpg.e2d6cb55204829bc475b1ea90c6a47ab.jpg

They are not really gable ends as they don't project outwards, think of them as dormers that don't have sides, instead they continue all the way to the bottom.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up regarding the walls Dave. Let's hope it's ok! My only grain of comfort from the visual aspect is that there are no signs of any cracks or movement apart from the front right which is just the mortar being washed out from the rainwater runoff from the roof not overhanging enough. But I take you're point. My main concern is that the other side sits about 2 feet deeper in the soil and there is water coming through. So drainage and some kind of foundation work will be needed there. 

As for the windows I was thinking of a full gable end. The existing door would be the access. But it's so up in the air until we meet the architect really. 

Thanks for your interest :)

Hi Rob

Just responding to your message, clola eh- well you really aren't far.

Looks interesting, and much like my steading

happy to help out with anything you need re tools or any advice I may have to give etc when the time comes.

Out of interest, who is your architect?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjones said:

Thanks for the heads up regarding the walls Dave. Let's hope it's ok!

A friend converted an 18th C. barn in Kent which just sat on the earth. Building control just wanted it underpinned, which he did himself by hand. Lots of work mind.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave that makes sense.

Tin (what's your name? :) ) thanks so much for the offer, that's really kind of you. I can see a shared cuppa, a chat and a couple of biscuits on the cards at the very least! We're using MAC architects from Newmachar. We met with them briefly last year and were really impressed. Unless you have any recommendations?   

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

A friend converted an 18th C. barn in Kent which just sat on the earth. Building control just wanted it underpinned, which he did himself by hand. Lots of work mind.

Worth knowing thanks. Once the snow and bloody permafrost clears I think I'll dig down a few feet outside to get an idea.

1 minute ago, ultramods said:

@Robjonesour friends have recently used MAC and were happy with them. They are popular with people extending houses in Newmachar and I haven't heard any complaints.

Wow, there's a fair few Aberdonians on here :) Thanks for that. Unbiased reviews count for a lot.

Hi Rob - Its Scott

Have a look here

http://selfextend.com/the-steading and its subsequent posts

I started a blog ages ago about converting one half of my steading into a workshop - You'll see what like digging out the floors are etc.

I've come on a fair bit since that picture putting in insulation and electrics etc.

It's had to go on hold just now as I'm building my actual house (well house sized extension) so all the focus is on that in the meantime.

so far I'm up to founds and clockwork with kit going up in March before I take over everything inc roofing - amazing the confidence youtube gives :)

4 hours ago, ultramods said:

how wide will the external space be once you have insulated the walls and erected plasterboard walls? I'm just wondering if a new build would be better.

I really need to understand multi quotes here. When I select multiple quotes I can't see them. My old brain probably.

Logically it probably would make sense, but I really want to retain the sites character. With all timber frame, insulation and plaster it will still be just shy of 5 metre inside width and 16 metres long. Smallish, but perfectly formed. Well that's the plan!

3 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

Hi Rob - Its Scott

Have a look here

http://selfextend.com/the-steading and its subsequent posts

I started a blog ages ago about converting one half of my steading into a workshop - You'll see what like digging out the floors are etc.

I've come on a fair bit since that picture putting in insulation and electrics etc.

It's had to go on hold just now as I'm building my actual house (well house sized extension) so all the focus is on that in the meantime.

so far I'm up to founds and clockwork with kit going up in March before I take over everything inc roofing - amazing the confidence youtube gives :)

Thanks for that Scott. I'll probably learn a heck of a lot reading that. You can probably smell the nievity from there. And you're right about YouTube. On the main house I've build the kitchen, completely stripped the large bathroom to the granite walls and replacing joist and lintels. Built a massive decking area, laid patio and installed a soakaway....all after studying at the YouTube college of diy education. Most of it is still standing too ?

Edited by Robjones
Spelling