Order of build of Load Bearing / Non Loading Bearing Stud wall and UFH / Screed!

Alex

Hi All, 

I've been trying to figure the order of what to install when... Basically I have a mixture of load bearing timber studs that will be holding up the 1st floor and then roughly an equal amount of non-load bearing studs that mark out the rest of the room walls / cupboards etc. My floor make up is concrete slab, DPM, 150mm PIR, UFH, Liquid screed (45mm), resin floor. I have been told I need to build the load bearing studs off the concrete slab, which makes sense. My quandary is when to build these secondary studs and get floor screeded... I've got plumbing and electrics that will need to pass through both types of stud wall so need them ready for 1st fix. The guys doing my Air Source heat pump / Cylinder have said they'd ideally want to install cylinder etc on finish floor, which would imply UFH would need to be down and screeded to ensure floor all on same level. 

Options I have are: 

1. Build all studs off concrete slab. 1st fix everything. Insulate and put UFH down and then screed. Plaster etc 
  2. Build load bearing studs. Insulate and UFH followed by screed. Build non load bearing walls. 1st Fix. Plaster etc 

any other suggestions to tackle this? Is there a "right" order to do things in? have manage to confuse myself as to the best approach. Help! ;-) 

thanks. 

Hi, I am fitting all the internals walls, including load bearing to the slab before I fit 150mm Celotex, UFH and screed. Again on the first floor walls up before UFH, etc. Will send a more relevant photo tomorrow. You can just see some internal walls at the back behind mvhr.

IMG_9684.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

Edited by JamesP
spellin
  • Like 1

I would build all stud walls regardless of load baring 

I guessing the ones marked as load baring will only be clad on one side with OSB

It would be much simpler to for first fix plumbing and electrical if all walls were in place

Our builders put the stud up as soon as possible, UFH, screed, everything else went in afterwards.

This allowed first fix to take place for all trades, electrical, plumbing, MVHR (me), it was easy for people to visualise where they were and what need to go where.

I big empty room may be tempting but where exactly is the drop for teh sockets/light switches, how far in from the wall is that vent terminal.....

• Like 1

If you never intend to move the stud walls, and you can't if you have UFH in place, go straight into the concrete. That way if you have a brainstorm moment and don't like the shape of the rooms you can move the walls about without having to worry about the the UFH.

thanks everyone. I'm going to go with build all the studs, get 1st fix out of the way (plumbing, electrics, mvhr) and then get insulation, ufh and screed down! 

Think I was just having yet another moment where you start to question what you're doing!! O.o

43 minutes ago, Alex said:

thanks everyone. I'm going to go with build all the studs, get 1st fix out of the way (plumbing, electrics, mvhr) and then get insulation, ufh and screed down! 

Think I was just having yet another moment where you start to question what you're doing!! O.o

There will be plenty of them 

At least with all the studs up you will be able to clearly see your layout and so will all the trades

Its easy to get thing in the wrong place when you have walls missing