It is that time of year for me.

Has anyone any feeling about general trends?

Last year our car (mum + self - she 80) was £350. This year £380 is proposed. 2009 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4, mileage under 10k, 2 other named drivers, fully protected comp, business use for all drivers, 15 years no claims, nice area of Midlands market town, parked on driveway.

I would say that is an expected increase, and as we are on Admiral Multicar and I cannot find anything else much under £400 with a brief check I think it is probably OK for us.

Counterpoints are welcome.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I was with Tesco last year, £240, this year, £240.

For a laugh I had a look at what they would quote me as a new customer, £270.

That is the kind of renewal I like.

I once changed company for a £3 saving.  Cost me more than that pissing about sending off NCB details as they would only accept details by post.>:(

• Like 1

I am changing my car this week 1st March new registrations. My current car Kia Sportage 2015 1.7 diesel myself and OH covered...also nice area of Midlands 10k a year mileage etc premium £280, quote today for new car...Petrol Hybrid smaller car brand new value same as Sportage no change to drivers mileage etc....increase in premium £94! That total is almost as much as we pay to insure Porsche Boxter!

I only renewed Sportage ins at end Jan and it had gone up just £20 on previous year.....I am still waiting to hear from brokers as to why there is almost £100 more for a smaller vehicle. Do Hybrids cost more to insure?

• Like 1

My premium for last year was with AVIVA and it increased by some about the same as you. £330 TO £360 for renewal last month   BMW X1 Fully comp, 5000 miles, 10+ years No claims  Me and OH Named drivers. We moved 3/4miles last year into the new house and the premium rocketed from  £275 to £330 ( Post Code lottery from Surrey to Berkshire) on renewal in February 2017

I have found cheaper premiums on the comparison sites and have just renewed with SAGA at £320.  LV also seemd to be competitive

Insurers would negotiate on the phone but they don't seem to anymore. It's a  real pain having to keep them straight and honest every year but it has to be done.   Two things you should consider do you really need Business use and can you bring the annual mileage down to 5000 miles ( say) worth playing on a comparison site to see the impact?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I was with Tesco last year, £240, this year, £240.

For a laugh I had a look at what they would quote me as a new customer, £270.

That is the kind of renewal I like.

I once changed company for a £3 saving.  Cost me more than that pissing about sending off NCB details as they would only accept details by post.>:(

I once had a renewal for a jag that was nearly £600, went online and found insurance for about £300, it was the same company, I rang to take advantage of the lower quote and enjoyed telling the insurance person ( when asked) that my current insurer was them. ?

• Like 1

Cheers. Good enough for me.

My normal check is confused.com as MSE reports that as being most reliable for coming up with a cheap quote in the mix.

The clincher for sticking with Admiral is that if I go for this big estate there may be a good chance of getting a good start on the NCD I don't currently have personally.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I renewed in January.  The renewal price had increased by around £30 to £380.  On a whim, I tried Direct Line and cut the premium (like for like cover) by £150.

I usually use a couple of online comparison sites, then get bombarded by phone calls regardless of that I tick to say no calls.

Tesco were the cheapest on both sites (Confused and Compare the Market).

Not usually the case and the last broker I was with was very competitive and easy to deal with, but they changed business models and where honest enough to say that they were not looking for my business as it was not profitable enough.

35 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I usually use a couple of online comparison sites, then get bombarded by phone calls regardless of that I tick to say no calls.

Not usually the case and the last broker I was with was very competitive and easy to deal with, but they changed business models and where honest enough to say that they were not looking for my business as it was not profitable enough.

MSE also says confused.com are good at not calling you if you opt out.

The AA are the worse.  Ten years ago I took out insurance with them, still get letter twice a year.

Almost as bad as SpecSavers.  They never give up.  They still send mail to my old address, from 1991.

REporting back.

We have been with Admiral and will stay. THey will count my Main Driver but not policyholder status as 1 years no claims for the purposes of their policies. THen if I switch next year it will be two years no claims. 

Policy Holder is being switched from 80 y/o parent to me as that will save a third on the cost.

Then if I do get an Estate or second car, our policy ecomes multicar

The only issue with Admiral is that their NCB builds slowly, and takes about 9 years to get to 40%. 

Ferdinand

Went through this last week for our 2010 Toyota Avensis estate. The only letter I saw from the existing insurer (Sainsbury's) didn't mention the renewal amount, let alone last year's premium, which I believe they're now required to do. Admittedly I may have missed a letter that my wife opened.

I went through the sequence mentioned on MSE and one of the comparison sites got me Admiral insurance at £187. All the other sites had a minimum of just over £200, including for Admiral. Admiral's site wanted £256. I checked and double checked the cheap comparison site quote to make sure I hadn't got something wrong, but it still kept coming out £20 cheaper than anywhere else.

Oh, and I got £30 cashback on Topcashback, so overall pretty good.

Because I cancelled the Sainsbury's renewal so late, I still received the renewal documentation. Turns out they were going to take £460, including a no claims bonus protection levy of £60(!). 

I also accidentally got a quote for my wife as main driver with me as nominated second. She has a single speeding ticket from 18 months ago. This pushed the cheapest quotes up by £30-40 from memory.

13 minutes ago, jack said:

Admiral insurance at £187

We have been with Admiral for all our cars, and now the house as well, for around 8 years they seem very good and about a month ago they wrote to me saying they had done a price comparison on our premium, which I was very happy with anyway, to say that they were refunding us about 15% of the premium - very happy bunnies we are. Our son is in car insurance and he thinks our admiral premium is about as good as we can get given the risks!

We have decided to keep ours on Direct Debit rather than letter and cheque, because the consequences of missing it and being caught after you missed it are so dire.

By the time the constabulary have confiscated your car and left you sitting at the roadside with a pile of luggage and your family, possibly 500 miles away from home, impounded the car, charged you a confiscation fee and a daily rent, forced you to call out whatever you have to call out etc the consequences are humongous.

I would say that The rational answer would be for the offence to be recorded and punished if guilty, and for the driver and passengers to arrange insurance at the roadside and continue on their way.

It is probably fine to stop them on the spot for safety / arrestable offences, but not imo for administrative offences which do not have an immediate impact on safety.

It is cheaper to be ripped off by an insurance company than auto-criminalised by a computer because you forgot something, plus the huge pile of bureaucratic abuse that our lawmakers / enforcers seem to want to heap on people these days.

F

• Like 1

Ours are on direct debit, for exactly the reason you mention.

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2018 at 17:24, SteamyTea said:

I use the online sites but use a nearby address, a fake name, and DOB close to mine, oh and a fake phone number too :D. Prevents being called when not welcome. Also it then counts as a 'new' quote when I finally decide who to go with as I tend to go via Quidco or TopCashBack with my real details when I take out the policy and generally get circa £35 back at a later date (clear cookies tho or use a browser you don't generally use). 

I generally alternate between Esure and Sheila's Wheels as they tend to provide the best quote for me (Sheila's Wheels is part of Esure but weirdly I generally get a slightly different quote and swapping allows me to claim 'new customer' cashback from Quidco or TopCashBack). I take most of the add ons (car hire, legal cover, key cover, personal injury etc) apart from breakdown as I have that with my AVA bank account, and it came out as £267 last year, fully comp with business use on a 2015 2l hybrid 4x4 SUV. I always pay in full by credit card at the commencement of the policy. The cost increased when my husband died as it's often cheaper to have 2 named drivers on a policy as apparently they think you will be driving an alternative vehicle some of the time. Annoying ...... 

One thing to be aware of if you do pay by direct debit. If your vehicle is written off, stolen etc and you make a claim most insurers will require you to pay the remaining premium for the year. And once they've made the policy 'paid up' your cover will generally cease despite having paid for the longer period. This means that you won't have cover to drive another vehicle if not covered specifically for the other vehicle on a separate policy (as a named driver or whatever). 

Edited by newhome
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I hope you aren't using somebody else's real number by mistake. O.o

I am surprised that the Hybrid version of a big Passat Estate seems to be more than the 4wd Version.

That 1st para gets you your Buildhub Appropriate Meanness Beyond the Call of Duty Level 1 Qualification. Do you pay on a cashback credit card or Amex (worth up to 2% if no fee :-)?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I hope you aren't using somebody else's real number by mistake. O.o

I am surprised that the Hybrid version of a big Passat Estate seems to be more than the 4wd Version.

That 1st para gets you your Buildhub Appropriate Meanness Beyond the Call of Duty Level 1 Qualification. Do you pay on a cashback credit card or Amex (worth up to 2% if no fee :-)?

I use the number of my SIM that can’t take calls (it’s in a temperature alarm that goes in my car) so not fake exactly, just not usable :)

Mine’s a Mitsubishi hybrid. I’m not sure what insurance for the diesel version is like. But my road tax will be cheaper at a whole £0. 

I am a credit card tart :D. Got between 1 and 2% back on my build for anything I could feasibly pay by credit card :) or PayPal. Having an Amex card linked to PayPal takes in a few more places that accept PayPal and not Amex. Cashback on MasterCard / Visa generally tops out at circa 1%. You used to be able to pay your tax bill on it too but I think that option may be closed now.

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

You used to be able to pay your tax bill on it too but I think that option may be closed now.

You can via a Curve card, which presents as a Debit card, but simply re-charges a linked credit card. You still get the credit card's cashback (and you can withdraw £200/month from ATMs with no credit charge, again with cashback).

https://www.imaginecurve.com -- if you use the signup code VY6IF you get a £5 bonus (as ever, any kickback I receive goes to the brilliant Rescue Remedies dog charity).

14 minutes ago, newhome said:

I use the number of my SIM that can’t take calls (it’s in a temperature alarm that goes in my car) so not fake exactly, just not usable :)

Mine’s a Mitsubishi hybrid. I’m not sure what insurance for the diesel version is like. But my road tax will be cheaper at a whole £0. 

I am a credit card tart :D. Got between 1 and 2% back on my build for anything I could feasibly pay by credit card :) or PayPal. Having an Amex card linked to PayPal takes in a few more places that accept PayPal and not Amex. Cashback on MasterCard / Visa generally tops out at circa 1%. You used to be able to pay your tax bill on it too but I think that option may be closed now.

Level 2 :-)

The tax bill option went on I think January 19th or thereabouts.

But you can still pay by a Curve Debit Card which charges directly into a Credit Card, but there may be a limit on size and number of payments. I think Curve is now available for employees as well as self-employed.

F

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Level 2 :-)

The tax bill option went on I think January 19th or thereabouts.

But you can still pay by a Curve Debit Card which charges directly into a Credit Card, but there may be a limit on size and number of payments. I think Curve is now available for employees as well as self-employed.

F

I’m on PAYE these days so don’t tend to pay tax by card, but might look at the Curve card, thanks, and dog rescue is always a motivator for me. What sort of credit limit do I get or is that dictated by the linked card? 

According to Raffles over at Head For Points:

The maximum spending limit is £3750 per day, £20000 per month and £50000 per year.  As a new cardholder, you are likely to be capped at £2000 per day and £20000 per year.   This limits will increase as the company grows to trust you.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richi said:

According to Raffles over at Head For Points:

Great thanks! I follow Head for Points (Avios tart too :)) so will have a look as I have a couple of spendy things coming up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, newhome said:

I’m on PAYE these days so don’t tend to pay tax by card, but might look at the Curve card, thanks, and dog rescue is always a motivator for me. What sort of credit limit do I get or is that dictated by the linked card? 

it isn't a Credit Card.

I believe it is now a normal Debit Card. It used to be a dliffrent type of Debit Card. YOu link it to any one of your credit cards via a phone app and it changes the Credit Card immediately while the transaction is happening.

Website https://www.imaginecurve.com/

and Raffles at Head for Points sometimes mentions it.

Check the T&C before using abroad, as per usual. I think that is loaded in some way.

F

• Like 1

Back to the car insurance. There is often £50-100 cashback by going through quidco/topcashback. £380 sounds a bit too much and it is worth checking a number of comparison sites, not just confused.com.

When checking comparison sites give the name Mr F Erdinanad and phone number 01234567890 to avoid calls, then clear historey/cookies etc and go through quidco/topcashback.

• Like 1