BC appointed and questions I had not anticipated.

MikeSharp01

We appointed our BC for the main house a few weeks back and they have just come back with a list of things they want, most of which they have but I suspect they have not opened the 'file' as it looks like a standard letter. So I will bounce it back as they have it all BUT they have asked for two things I was not immediately expecting:

1. ' details of the fire resistance to external walls within 1.0m of the boundary ' - How do I calculate that I am thinking, is it a summative method, just add up the various resistances of the components or is there a more sophisticated way I am wondering.
  2. 'Please confirm the provision of network access to the new dwellings.' - The is only one dwelling and one wonders what network they are referring too, is it roads, is it ADSL, is it the sewage / electricity / gas.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

I had a similar question from BC "How am I going to fireproof the walls of my wood shed"  It turned out because I had shown the wood shed right up to a boundary it needed fireproofing.  I solved it by moving the wood shed 1M from the boundary.

I assume they are concerned with fire proofing of doors and windows?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

1. ' details of the fire resistance to external walls within 1.0m of the boundary ' - How do I calculate that I am thinking, is it a summative method, just add up the various resistances of the components or is there a more sophisticated way I am wondering

The bit of the Approved Document B that you will need to read is Sections 8 & 9 (page 41 onwards) 

link: BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf

13 minutes ago, Ian said:

The bit of the Approved Document B that you will need to read is Sections 8 & 9 (page 41 onwards) 

link: BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf

Yes, thanks @Ian I found it, interestingly the architects drawings do refer to the cladding system and it being class 0 rated, so more evidence that they have sent me a standard letter and not looked through the submission yet. The other one seems to be Part R - new one on me but refers to data network connections, it seems that you cannot build now without provision for it which does, all in all, make perfect sense and again it is in the drawings - well the comms cabinet and ducting to the house is.

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

I had a similar question from BC "How am I going to fireproof the walls of my wood shed"  It turned out because I had shown the wood shed right up to a boundary it needed fireproofing.  I solved it by moving the wood shed 1M from the boundary.

This was exactly my solution to this, both for the house and the garage.  When I put a shed up in the 1.2m gap between the garage and the boundary I used a metal one.

On @MikeSharp01's question about the network access, I just fitted a length of FT Openreach Duct 56, with a hockey stick at either end, running under our slab and coming up in the utility room.  Right now all it has in it is an underground copper phone cable plus a spare length of draw cord, and the ends are sealed up to keep rodents out and to make the house and airtight.  If we ever get FTTP here then it's just a matter of pulling the fibre into the house through the duct.  This complies with that BR requirement.