Hello and advice welcome

Sjk

Hi all

I have a conditional offer on a small piece of land in a city centre, it’s subject to planning permission. 

A few few issues have been highlighted, I wasn’t totally naive if it seems I didn’t grasp the severity.(?)

As part of the planning process I had to get several assessments done, including noise and odour, it seems because a local pub/restaurant I need a mitigating strategy. This will be a mechanism ventilation system as recommended by the consultants. 

There is is also a flood risk, as far as I believe the site has never flooded. It came close a few years ago when the city got hit by flooding in a few areas. Since then there have been flood defences put in place by the council, the consultant says the classification of FZ 3a takes these into account. I thought they would have reduced the risk further if I’m honest, but they are the pros. 

So im at the stage now where I am ready to put the application in to the council, the assessments have dampened (pun) my enthusiasm for the self build somewhat, not even sure if it is the right thing to do anymore.

I have been trying to get that excitement back over the weekend with ideas how I could over come these problems in a good way. 

I guess most contemplate this through the build process. 

Welcome to THE forum, sound like an interesting project with loads of challenges, you can look forward to support and advice. I guess we would need slightly more detail to help us help you but one thing is for sure the self build game is not for everyone. A journey of 1000 miles starts with the first step - you will go through a lot of ups and downs but in the end what does not kill you makes you stronger and by self building you get what you want, where (or close to) you want but not always at the price you want or when you want. Just have a reality check every so often and keep your head down.

• Thanks 1

Welcome! Sounds intriguing from what little we know (yet :ph34r:)

Is there any specific element in all this for which you think some creative input might still be useful? If so, post away in the relevant forum. There are some awfully smart and creative people on this forum. Hopefully someone might spark some ideas that haven't come to you yet.

• Thanks 1