System noisy when HW & heating on.

Lynford

Hi all,

We have a reasonably old boiler (guessing 15yrs+), but it seems to heat ok, both heating and HW. The system isn’t particularly noisy with either heating or HW on, but when they clash it makes quite a noise, enough to wake you up.

When you are downstairs it sounds upstairs and vice versa. I have changed the 3 port valve head but to be honest there’s no real noise in the airing cupboard where it is. I could juggle the timings of the HW and heat on the Hive controller but wondered if there may be an easy fix ? I’m probably going to get the system changed to a Combi in the summer so I wouldn’t want to spend too much !

Thanks for any help.

Before you change to a combi.... The hot flow rate you get will depend on the boiler power so make sure it's big enough for your needs. Also they should check the flow rate from the mains is adequate/good before they do anything as that can also be limiting. 

3 hours ago, Lynford said:

Hi all,

We have a reasonably old boiler (guessing 15yrs+), but it seems to heat ok, both heating and HW. The system isn’t particularly noisy with either heating or HW on, but when they clash it makes quite a noise, enough to wake you up.

When you are downstairs it sounds upstairs and vice versa. I have changed the 3 port valve head but to be honest there’s no real noise in the airing cupboard where it is. I could juggle the timings of the HW and heat on the Hive controller but wondered if there may be an easy fix ? I’m probably going to get the system changed to a Combi in the summer so I wouldn’t want to spend too much !

Thanks for any help.

Hi. 

It probably the valve body not the head, and the noise is probably oscillation. Is there noise coming from the boiler? If not, its not kettling so the problem is elsewhere. 

To work out what your hot water would be like from a combi, run your outside tap full and take 25% off that. Thats based on a typical scenario and a 28kw combi. Rough as toast estimate but it won't be far off ;)

FWIW go for the combi change, your gas bill will drop like a rock. A great boiler is the Baxi Duotec 28kw, fit and forget. :)

Go for the platinum if you want the longer warranty but you have to use an accredited installer. Dont let them charge you extra for the privilege as its a day long course :/