Buongiorno

Jamie998

Hello all,

I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks now so figured I should say hello.  I'm not going to be posting much anytime soon - I'm currently committed to voraciously consuming all of the content on this forum!  An absolute mine of information - if only I'd found this a couple of years ago!!

In the process of purchasing a plot in the Lincolnshire Wolds on which I intend to build a 250m2 property.  In the near future I daresay I will need to tap into the collective knowledge lurking on this site - bear with me and my rookie questions:D

Jamie

• Like 2

Welcome to Buildhub!

Don't worry about asking rookie questions; we've all been (and some, like me, remain) there. You can be sure that someone, somewhere already has the same question, or will be pleased in the future to find a great forum thread answering yours.

People do love pics, so if you have any you feel it's appropriate to share at this point in the purchase, feel free to do so.

Again, welcome. :)

Many thanks for the welcome all.  I am currently camped out in the General Plumbing forum (an arbitrary decision!)....on page 4 now!  Fascinating....I understand so much more now, Hep20...manifolds...hot return circuits....all sparking ideas/thoughts in the old grey matter!

• Haha 2

Ha. I remember being in that phase. You'll be absorbing information for weeks. It's extraordinary how much there is to know!

Even now, I only realise how much I've managed to learn when a friend doing an extension asks me a simple question and I suddenly realise I've been talking for 15 minutes without a break. In the end I usually just direct them to the site... 

Welcome,

I too remember being in the very steep learning curve phase, and the daft thing was we'd been planning to self-build for years before I realised I needed to sit down and learn a hell of a lot of stuff!  All we'd been thinking of is our wish list and where we'd like to live.  With hindsight I should have spent those years learning all the nitty gritty stuff that is key to actually building a house.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Welcome,

I too remember being in the very steep learning curve phase, and the daft thing was we'd been planning to self-build for years before I realised I needed to sit down and learn a hell of a lot of stuff!  All we'd been thinking of is our wish list and where we'd like to live.  With hindsight I should have spent those years learning all the nitty gritty stuff that is key to actually building a house.

Snap.  We have been planning to self build by 2020 for 8yrs now....have read books and other bits and bobs but think I have learnt more after two weeks of randomly mooching through these forums....I am on a mission now to consume as much knowledge as I can.  

46 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Well said. I'm amidst that now!

Welcome @Jamie998 (a reference to a Porsche in that user name?)

Porsche, I wish...just had to google it and its safe to say the only way I'm getting one of those is if cryptocurrencies manage to become a thing....buts that's a whole different conversation!

• 2 weeks later...

Random question, but is there a way to change the forum all back to unread on my account? Working my way through it all and accidentally changed all of it to read rather than just the thread I was in! Not a massive drama....just inconvenient.  TIA.

23 hours ago, Jamie998 said:

Random question, but is there a way to change the forum all back to unread on my account? Working my way through it all and accidentally changed all of it to read rather than just the thread I was in! Not a massive drama....just inconvenient.  TIA.

I'm not aware of any way of doing this. I suppose you could set up a second temporary account just for reading the forum. That would have all posts unread. I'd discourage you from posting from two accounts though.

Ha, I did try to set up a second account but they all show up as read.  I suspect it may have something to do with cookies or some such on my computer, I was meaning to log into the other account on a different computer to check - will do that later.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jamie998 said:

Ha, I did try to set up a second account but they all show up as read.  I suspect it may have something to do with cookies or some such on my computer, I was meaning to log into the other account on a different computer to check - will do that later.

Try a different browser? 

49 minutes ago, newhome said:

Try a different browser? 

Or just use an incognito or private session on your existing browser and don't log in.  That won't have access to any cookies so will look just as if you're a guest viewing the forum.

• Like 1