Downlights - loft insulation around the fittings

LeanTwo

I'm about to fit downlights in my new kitchen extension and have found some good ones from TLC with a directional fitting, fire rated to 90 minutes, are acoustically rated and take Halogens or LEDs.  I've got the void height to fit them.  The void is also packed with wool insulation (to increase the acoustic insulation as bedrooms are above it.)  If I fit LEDs as I intend then there won't be a lot of heat generated.  However, the suppliers were reluctant to advise on whether the insulation should allow for a void around the fitting in case heat is generated.  Can anyone advise, please?  Are there specific fitting requirements?  Is it a Building Regs thing?

LED GU10's still get warm, but I wouldn't say hot, you can certainly hold them. The only negative of having insulation packed round the fitting is the LED likely won't last as long as its stated run time, but thats hardly a game changer given their cost now.

Ensure they are BS5250 (if I remember right, for airtightness), and fire rated fittings and personally I don't see an issue, but if you are concerned check with BCO (though they likely won't care anyway).

Thanks for the MiniSun link.  I found this MiniSun product on the Value Lights website (MiniSun's retail website) :

https://www.valuelights.co.uk/5w-led-fire-rated-tiltable-gu10-downlight-white-no-bulb.html

I spoke to the sales rep and he confirmed the BS5250 compliance of these.  Valulights say that all there products conform to the Regulations.  They also advised that the fitting should have 100mm above it, clear space and 100mm around it, with no light closer than 200mm.  Seems like a good company to me.

I searched for the Building Regs on downlights but found a lot of complicated stuff that would take some time to digest!   I'll check with the Building Control Officer on Monday.

I don't know about all the ones linked above but a lot of fire rated down lights aren't air tight. The top of the unit is typically a sandwich of metal and intumescent material with holes drilled through for ventilation. In the event of a fire the intumescent material swells up blocking the holes. Depending on how they are installed the ventilation can allow water vapour past the vapour barrier into the roof space where it can condense. Hence the references recommending units that meet BS5250.

Consider ordering a few before buying a whole house worth?

21 hours ago, Onoff said:

Got a plan to reinstate everything...must get on with it!

I would pretty quick based on the weather forecast for next week, now saying blizzards with wind chill -15C in Kent.

Edited by PeterStarck

15 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I would pretty quick based on the weather forecast for next week, now saying blizzards with wind chill -15C in Kent.

You mean I won't be enjoying the current 11.6 in there next week? :)

14 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

@Onoff doesn't look like I'm afraid. If you've got draughts from what they've said 11.6 will seem balmy in comparison.

I got £900 worth of oil at the end of November, hoping we can make it through the worst. Got the 2kW fan heater going full pelt in the lounge at the mo and it's a sweltering 17.2 in here and that's with the CH on. No wonder both kids are so skinny, must be the shivering! :)