Anybody use a WiFi immersion controller?

Crofter

I've got a small all electric house with just a UVC and an electric towel rail. It's a holiday let and I like the idea of being able to boost and otherwise control the heater and hot water remotely.

Just wondering if anybody has experience of a WiFi enabled controller? I see that Timeguard do one: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFSTWIFI.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o4&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=SMFSTWIFI&product_partition_id=311803904081&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=CjwKCAiAt8TUBRAKEiwAOI9pAIEXcdO25zbR7rUgzyudik8wC3oygkwYreNaHBTQEYKUTk4TR_PCBBoCI-gQAvD_BwE

Hi Crofter,

If you do have a wifi signal (maybe next door's?) then I can recommend the Sonoff TH16 https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-th.html wireless switching from phone, timer, temperature or humidity sensor, it is keenly priced with a nice free app that's easy to program. Two models available TH10 (10 Amps) or TH16 (16 Amps)

Scenes can also be set up so setting up a local "IFTTT". If WiFi is lost the controller will still carry on as the program is stored in non-volatile memory.

Should you want IFTTT from another operation ie weather control then i would recommend https://ifttt.com/ and set yourself up a free account.

Itead https://www.itead.cc/ manufacture lots of other control gear in the Sonoff range - all good value.

Kind regards

AndyT.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Does your holiday let have permanent internet connection?

Failing that, you will have to leave a phone there that does has a 4G, possibly 3G signal.

Yes it'll have Wi-Fi beamed across from my own house.

As to 3/4G... hahaha there's a reason I don't own a mobile phone :)

• Thanks 1

The 16 amp unit looks like this and as you can see its both FCC and CE compliant.

The temperature / humidity sensor (black bit on right) has a 2.5mm 4 ring jack socket.

EWeLink links the sensor with the button to the WiFi in the App and then you can set it up with either temperature going high or going low or taking manual control all from the phone.

Once you have done that you can set up on and off schedules for every day or selected days dates and times as you wish.

Even more powerful is the ability to trigger an activity with geolocation of your phone or from another application.

This is called If This Then That or more commonly referred to as IFTTT platform - the application is free at https://ifttt.com/

Some examples;

• You and your wife are entertaining this evening and might want to link a Sonoff device to your Outlook calendar event to bring the heating on 40 minutes early so the house is cozy.
  • The same Sonoff device might also be linked to the Underground Weather (look it up) so it could weather compensate the boiler. i.e There's a yellow weather alert for snow.
  • As you approach home (geolocation) you might want the drive lights to turn on for 5 minutes then turn off but only if the clock said that for your location it was past lighting up time.
  • Your intruder alarm system tells one Sonoff device and that interlinks with another Sonoff to instruct the MVHR to reduce speed to 50%as the building is unoccupied.
  • The same Sonoff unit has as an MVHR night time setback to 25% to keep the noise level to a minimum and a day time faster speed but only on Saturday and Sunday.

So I hope you begin to see that these low cost devices can help you automate anything so helping you save energy and time.

Enjoy,

Kind regards

AndyT

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3328.PNG

IMG_3329.PNG

IMG_3332.PNG

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Seems I have been wasting my time with the ESP2866s and the RPi's.

How long do they take to get delivered from the USA?

SteamyTea - Sonoff's are based on ESP2866's and if you want to you can reflash them with Tasmoda etc.

However with the amazing offering of products and prices from Sonoff, and the compatibility with IFTTT I would ask if its worth the stress?

AndyT.

2 minutes ago, AndyT said:

I would ask if its worth the stress?

Tell me about it, got the thing connected up and working, moved my router and nothing works now.

I enjoy the challenge, but then I much prefer getting data to analyse than not getting data at all. :o

• 2 years later...
On 17/11/2020 at 20:38, Mixerq said:

Hi, what are you using to send wi fi from 1 hoise to another? 

We ended up abandoning the beamed system, couldn't get it to work.

Hurriedly put down a long extension lead and used a Powerline adapter, this worked perfectly so we just left it in place. This summer, after more than two years, the system became unreliable and we had to replace the adapter. Probably due to water ingress. Now looking at installing a phone line to get a reliable, independent system.

When we were in the static van during the build, I had the wifi router in the house and a wired ethernet cable out to the 'van.   In the 'van I set up a spare old BT home hub router set up as a wifi access point from the house broaddband.  you can find the instructions on line, you basically disable all the DHCP stuff so it is not trying to be a router, just a slave wifi point to the main router.

• 1 year later...

Hi, my flat is Electricity only, and I have a Sangamo E7 Water Heater Controller to control the time that my immersion heater turns on.  I was wondering if I could replace this with a Timeguard Wi-Fi Controlled Fused Spur Timeswitch.  The Sangamo deals with high current.  My flat also has an Economy 7 meter, so the water heats during the cheaper night rate.

1 hour ago, GavT said:

Hi, my flat is Electricity only, and I have a Sangamo E7 Water Heater Controller to control the time that my immersion heater turns on.  I was wondering if I could replace this with a Timeguard Wi-Fi Controlled Fused Spur Timeswitch.  The Sangamo deals with high current.  My flat also has an Economy 7 meter, so the water heats during the cheaper night rate.

What are yo trying to achieve?