Servicing a Vent Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus B

One year on from first install, I set about servicing my MVHR today.  Aside from cleaning and replacing the filters, this is the first action I've undertaken with the MVHR. 

First off, the front cover is secured in place by a series of screws with a mortorq head. Quite why they have used these rather than the Philips head used elsewhere, I'm not quite sure.

Fortunately, I had the appropriate bit, but unfortunately, the screw heads are that soft that one of them stripped. Gravity came, in a way, to the rescue. Whilst I was considering how to proceed, the cover fell forward and broke the flimsy plastic fixing through which the screw secures the cover to the body.

>:( >:(>:(>:(>:(

So, with front cover now off, I pulled out the heat exchange core ( its a very snug fit so needs a firm pull). I anticipated that there would be some residual water / condensation in the core as it wasn't long after morning shower time. Best advice is therefore to keep the core level until you are somewhere safe to drain any water out. I washed out the core using the shower, and there was a bit of dust / gunk etc that came out of it.  To dry, I left it outside and the wind did the rest. 

Aside from the water / condensation in the core, there was some black mould growth where any water would normally drain out of the core into the condensate drain. Bleach and a toothbrush dealt with that particular issue.

Having dealt with the core, I wiped down all of the internal MVHR core housing and duct outlet surfaces. Generally speaking they were pretty clean.

The summer bypass, which consists of plastic louvered fins, required a bit more cleaning, as the fins all had a coating of dust that had stuck on.

Likewise, the extract fan impeller blades were covered in a coating of dust that had stuck on.

I'm guessing that in both cases, the moisture present in the extracted air made the fins and impeller blades damp enough for the dust to stick such that it wouldn't simply brush off. The dust deposit did however, wipe off fairly easily.

Finally, I checked the condensate drain, making sure it was free of blockages.

After cleaning the two general filters, I slotted the heat exchange core back in, replaced the filters then refitted the front panel.

Fortunately, despite the damage described earlier, there were sufficient screws left to secure the front panel and seal the heat exchange area.

In summary, easy enough to self service, just be wary of the screws securing the front panel.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stones said:

One year on from first install, I set about servicing my MVHR today.  Aside from cleaning and replacing the filters, this is the first action I've undertaken with the MVHR. 

First off, the front cover is secured in place by a series of screws with a mortorq head. Quite why they have used these rather than the Philips head used elsewhere, I'm not quite sure.

Fortunately, I had the appropriate bit, but unfortunately, the screw heads are that soft that one of them stripped. Gravity came, in a way, to the rescue. Whilst I was considering how to proceed, the cover fell forward and broke the flimsy plastic fixing through which the screw secures the cover to the body.

>:( >:(>:(>:(>:(

So, with front cover now off, I pulled out the heat exchange core ( its a very snug fit so needs a firm pull). I anticipated that there would be some residual water / condensation in the core as it wasn't long after morning shower time. Best advice is therefore to keep the core level until you are somewhere safe to drain any water out. I washed out the core using the shower, and there was a bit of dust / gunk etc that came out of it.  To dry, I left it outside and the wind did the rest. 

Aside from the water / condensation in the core, there was some black mould growth where any water would normally drain out of the core into the condensate drain. Bleach and a toothbrush dealt with that particular issue.

Having dealt with the core, I wiped down all of the internal MVHR core housing and duct outlet surfaces. Generally speaking they were pretty clean.

The summer bypass, which consists of plastic louvered fins, required a bit more cleaning, as the fins all had a coating of dust that had stuck on.

Likewise, the extract fan impeller blades were covered in a coating of dust that had stuck on.

I'm guessing that in both cases, the moisture present in the extracted air made the fins and impeller blades damp enough for the dust to stick such that it wouldn't simply brush off. The dust deposit did however, wipe off fairly easily.

Finally, I checked the condensate drain, making sure it was free of blockages.

After cleaning the two general filters, I slotted the heat exchange core back in, replaced the filters then refitted the front panel.

Fortunately, despite the damage described earlier, there were sufficient screws left to secure the front panel and seal the heat exchange area.

In summary, easy enough to self service, just be wary of the screws securing the front panel.

Thanks for this update. We are hoping to use this type of unit. Are you happy with the performance?

Pretty much all I have done this past 3 times. The front panel  is a joke. For a quality item to have such a sh1t  set of fixings is unforgivable. Such a simple fix.  I think I have broke 3 of them plastic bits so far. I changed all my screws to hex screws.

As far as performance goes it works away in the background with no fuss. You get an alert on the small remote display when the filters need changing. Roughly a year a set for me. 

I'm reasonably happy with it. The summer bypass and humidity functions work well, and as @Declan52 says, it just ticks away. 

I've had MVHR in 4 houses now, but this is the first I've had to fit a silencer. Not sure if its the MVHR or type of ducting I used this time (semi rigid) around.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the front cover is poor. The previous MVHR units I had, the front cover was hinged at the bottom and secured with two quick release catches - really simple and really effective. @Declan52 did you simply swap out the screws or to more inside the unit to secure the cover?

26 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The front panel  is a joke. For a quality item to have such a sh1t  set of fixings is unforgivable. Such a simple fix.

Take a pic and contact them explaining your disapointment and maybe, just maybe you might be surprised?

I had a problem with my Magimix (all jokes gratefully received) contacted them and sorted. Same with Cambridge Audio, a replacement remote (8 year old) supplied FOC and I had asked how much a replacement would cost.

2 hours ago, Stones said:

there was some black mould growth where any water would normally drain out of the core into the condensate drain. Bleach and a toothbrush dealt with that particular issue.

The idea of black mould growing in the MVHR terrifies me.  Has anyone else had this?

It wasn't the whole core, but the base of the fins where water / condensation drains out. I would liken it to the growth in a shower at the junction between wall and tray.  From a health point of view, I'm relaxed about it as the growth is at the exit point of the extract side of the core meaning it doesn't mix with the incoming fresh air.

@Declan52 did you see any mould growth in the core of your unit when servicing?

Yeah I agree, black mould in the MVHR isn't what i was expecting to read there! Does the area where its collected have any interface with air movement at all? I suppose if air never gets near, its probably reasonbly safe, but if it does, there could be spores everywhere. To get rid of the lot, you'd need a 0.1micron filter post MVHR to remove the majority of these, perhaps that is the case? I had considered an MVHR, and still am, but this makes me a little wary.

My wife is currently in hospital with a fungal infection in her lungs, so this kind of thing should be taken with a lot of thought, and not just brushed off.

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

Only out going extracted air. The heat exchange core fins are housed in a hexagonal shaped body, so there is a small surface area where fins meet body where water can sit before presumably there is enough water to force it over that edge and drain away. Like a shower therefore, it is the place that remains damp or water is always present. At most the mould growth covered around 5 mm or so around the body / fin junction.

@MikeGrahamT21it is something that keeps me awake at night worrying.  I spent months researching the MVHR, I chose the one I did because it seemed to be the best in terms of ‘clean’ in the system. Water/condensation in the pipes was an area I spent ages on.  I dont think I looked at anything about the area of the system currently under discussion...........I have the Robbens Frankische system which seemed to be the best for my needs on health.....I do so hope it is, to have built a very expensive white elephant in terms of MVHR/health would be almost too much to bear after the trials of the last 2 years. MVHR is due to be commissioned in the next few weeks.

I have had similar infections in my lungs and am trying to build my clean air bubble to help with health. I feel for your wife I know only too well what an absolute hell it is to go through. Sending her my best wishes.

Yeah me also, though i am a constant worrier anyway. Thanks for your kind thoughts, she's had a lot of difficulties since last year, firstly with a multi drug resistant pseudomonas infection, and now with aspergillus! Following a quick google the other day, I discovered that the pseudomonas was actually holding the aspergillus back, now thats gone, its having a party in there!

After much consideration of MVHR, and I must have been looking into it now for over 2 years, its not do-able for us at the moment, partly because we just aren't airtight enough yet, and partly because one of our lovely neighbours has a wood burning stove which pollutes the street, the airtighting is fairly easy but time consuming to fix, the smoke issue i've not been able to get round as yet, so for now I've invested in 2 BlueAir Blue Pure 411's which filter down to 0.1micron (anything less and mold spores are likely to get through, aspergillus for example can be 0.2micron), and i've bought a FooBot to keep a visual check on things.

Edited by MikeGrahamT21
  • Like 1

My previous neighbours had a wood burner which belched out all winter. It made life very difficult for me and influenced our decision to sell after 30 years.  This rented house is so draughty (1980’s Bovis) that heat on full and jumpers is the way we live.  For all the ‘airflow’ in this leaky house I still find the sitting room impossible to be in without the air cleaner running, it is on auto and runs 24/7.

Sounds like your wife has a similar collection of ‘pets’ to me.  Sometimes life is tough with lungs that are compromised.

and you ‘don’t look sick’.  Hope she can evict her unwanted tenants soon.

Fingers crossed. She has the NHS's finest working on her at the moment, we are so thankful for the NHS as we know the costs for all the treaments and admissions she's had in the past 12 months run well over £1m!

We are in a 1960's bungalow, i've made a lot of improvements already, there is no noticeable air flow from leaks, but I know the leaks exist, especially behind the kitchen cabinets at floor level. I'm hoping the air purifier will have a positive impact though, time will tell I suppose.

Yeah I totally know what you mean by the 'don't look that sick', she gets it all the time. Her lungs are only a tiny part of her complications though, she has a rare genetic disorder with a subset of other nasties which make her totally unique in the world. Life is tough, but we just keep smiling :-) I hope the new house does you the world of good, I can't see it not doing with all the research which has gone in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stones said:

I'm reasonably happy with it. The summer bypass and humidity functions work well, and as @Declan52 says, it just ticks away. 

I've had MVHR in 4 houses now, but this is the first I've had to fit a silencer. Not sure if its the MVHR or type of ducting I used this time (semi rigid) around.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the front cover is poor. The previous MVHR units I had, the front cover was hinged at the bottom and secured with two quick release catches - really simple and really effective. @Declan52 did you simply swap out the screws or to more inside the unit to secure the cover?

Great write up as I am nearly ready to fit the same unit. 

Just confirming where you fitted the silencer. Between the unit and supply distribution. 

You said reasonably happy?

Edited by JamesP
Spellin.

Think it was about 6 months as we where still doing some flooring and painting after we moved in so there would have been a fair amount of dust being put up into the air. No point in cleaning it out till any work was done. There was hardly anything inside any parts as I had all the ducts covered over and the system turned off till we moved in so it wasn't no where near as bad as I thought. 

11 hours ago, lizzie said:

The idea of black mould growing in the MVHR terrifies me.  Has anyone else had this?

I clean our Genvex heat exchanger around once a year, although TBH it never needs it, it always seems sparkly clean inside whenever I've removed it.  I do change/clean the filters every 6 months (the thing has a filter alarm and shuts down if you ignore it) and they are always pretty filthy, particularly the fresh air feed filter.  I also have to vacuum out the outer side of the filter chamber, as that is usually full of dead flies etc that have been drawn in.

I've not seen a trace of mould anywhere, the internals all seem sparkly clean as far as I can see.  There is a large stainless steel condensate tray at the base of the unit, with drains at either end, but again that always seems clean, with no trace of any mould or anything.

There is often a fair bit of condensate dripping down the drains when the thing is running, especially during the summer when it's running in cooling mode, with the integral air to air heat pump operating.  Maybe this tends to flush the unit out and keep it clean.

• Thanks 1

I think I'll drop Vent Axia a line to see what they say about the mould growth (and the front cover fixings).  I'm not overly concerned by its presence but it would be interesting to hear what they have to say and if there is anything I can do about it.  

Quite a useful step by step here (I really should have taken pictures myself):

• Thanks 2

This was a timely reminder for me.  We have had our Kinetic Plus B for around 4 years, and it had never had the core out for a clean.  I have now just done it.  Firstly, no weedy torq screws.  Just good quality Phillips heads.  Secondly, no mould whatsoever, and the drain was absolutely dry.  The core was quite dirty, with various dead insects, etc, but only turned the bath water a mid peaty brown. Five minutes with a tooth brush, and soapy water had it nice and clean again.  Both fans were cleaned by squirting household cleaner on them, and wiping off with paper towels. It's out in the breeze drying off now, and I'll put new filters in as well.  So, seems like the bean counters have been at work, trying to save a few pence on screws.

Edited by pulhamdown
typo

Interesting.  We likewise had a few dead insects in the core, but otherwise the water was pretty clear when washing out.  The biggest issues were the mould growth, and I can only attribute this to water condensation sitting at the base of the core before there is enough to drain out.

How encrusted with dust was the extract fan (our supply fan was clean)?

Perhaps our damper marine climate has something to do with it.

How do the insects get past the filters so they reach the core?

Looking at ours, the filter frames are a pretty tight sliding fit in the case, with what look to be neoprene foam seals at either end to make sure they are sealed in place.  The fresh air inlet filter is a pollen filter, so pretty fine.

If insects are getting to the core, then it sounds as if there must be gaps somewhere around where the filters fit.  Might be an idea to see if there's an easy way to get the filter to seal more effectively, and remove the problem.

I suspect that mould spores are also getting in the same way, as they are around the same size.  If the pollen filter is sealed and working properly, then it should also keep out mould spores and the like.

As an example, a G4 filter will typically catch most particles over 10µ, and F7 filter will catch most particles over 1µ.  The smallest spores are around 2µ, and some of the more potentially harmful ones, like aspergillus, are around 20µ, so if such a filter is well-sealed into the MVHR case it should be able to catch the majority of both spores and pollen particles.

55 minutes ago, Stones said:

How encrusted with dust was the extract fan (our supply fan was clean)?

Both fans had a thin layer of dust on.  I used a disinfecting spray just to make removal easier in the restricted space.  We're much drier than you - you would know - we're only three miles away from where you were in Perthshire.