Hey, Everybody!

Marie Turner

27 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Comforting in a way to know it is not just us girls that have this problem.

In this case it was shoddy workmanship as well.  This was an old lath and plaster house. A section of lath and plaster wall had been taken down in the process of opening 2 rooms into one.  I could not believe they had cut down the L&P wall in between studs and butted a bit f PB up to it.  As well as asking for the sheet to be left portable I also suggested they cut the L&P back to the stud to make the joint there.

So not only did they fix it and skim it before I was ready, they left a joint flapping in mid air and skimmed over it. What's the betting that joint is going to crack.  I would not let those particular joiners anywhere near my house.

This conversation went in an interesting direction. TBH I've had a lot to catch up :D I feel totally fine being called 'girl' it sounds friendly (doesn't feel like reference to stupid or lowering the tone in this context).

20 hours ago, JSHarris said:

clearly remember her giving me lessons on everything from how to prepare a surface for painting and applying paint though to how to wire a plug or replace a fuse in the fuse box.  My father never even learned to drive, she did, and did all the car maintenance as well. 

Respect!

• Like 2

Goodness it's the opposite here... I sometimes wish the males in my family would be more vocal.. I am definitely "Komandant #1" as my late Deda (Grandfather) used to call Babicka (Grandmother) ha ha ha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yzzy said:

Goodness it's the opposite here... I sometimes wish the males in my family would be more vocal.. I am definitely "Komandant #1" as my late Deda (Grandfather) used to call Babicka (Grandmother) ha ha ha! 

Welcome to @Marie Turner.

On the post-feminist thing, I would be happy to post most of the activists I see on the Daily Politics, feminist or otherwise, to Timbuctoo or somewhere similar. WE do seem to be post-feminist though .. the latest numbers I saw from the Fawcett Society had more than 90% of both women and men refusing to self-identify as such.

Now off back to the kitchen to cook dinner.

Ferdinad

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

I find tradesmen can be quite territorial & are more than ready to diss each others work & try to score points.

Its not about scoring points. It’s just what we do. Admittedly most do it to make themselves  sound clever even if they know full well they would have done a similar bodge but personally I do it because I can’t help but see the faults. I may be slower than most but also my work doesn’t need snagging. (At least in the last few years. )

Male workplace banter, which can creep over to quite vicious criticism, is often a way to highlight problems before they become too serious.

Called 'keeping it real'.

A lot of it depends on knowing your workmates well and outsiders (or management) are often excluded.

I was an outsider on a job one time, and the chippy did not like something he thought I had done (was some badly fitted skirting I was trying to put right).

He kept saying the same story 'about this bloke he knew' that had made the same mistake.

I just used to stare at him while he repeated the story for the umpteenth time, then laugh.

I was helping out a friend's son by doing whatever I could, he was paid to put things right.  He never put anything right, but make one big mistake with me, thinking that I was a bit dumb.

He was a bit shocked when I left early to deliver a lecture at the university I worked at.

I generally find that idiotic humour gets me out of most problems.  I have only had one problem in the last decade with a workmate.  Young lad who was work shy, arrogant and a snowflake.

He thought he knew a lot, when he was shown to be wrong, he would never accept it and tried to bluff his way out (bit like Trump).

Eventually he said he was being bullied and refused to come in again.  Thankfully the owner of the business, who worked with us, said he had not been bullied and was just a dick.

I have seen workplace bullying and it is not pretty (I had to clear up the mess it left in the company afterwards), normal male work place banter is not bullying.  Bullying is systematic and usually done by someone that has serious problems.  Why, I do not know, spotting it and sorting it out is the tricky bit.

Back in my distant youth I trained as a Hairdresser (most boring job ever)... Now Hairdressers LOVE picking up peoples locks and sucking air in and saying "Oh my GOODNESS... who murdered your hair!!?" and then bitching about whom ever it was.

Well I witnessed one stylist do exactly that to a client who hadn't been in for a few months only for her to frown and say "Um, you did, in July???"..... 

I learned then at 18 never to pick holes in anothers work... lol

• Haha 1