Hey, Everybody!

Marie Turner

Hey folks,

I just wanted to express my admiration to all of you part of this community.

It's good to know that there is a place where you can find honest and professional advice.

About me - the typical housewife, trying convince my stubborn husband I'm right :D, even when it's about man's job.

• Like 2

TBH I am not at all precious about being called things like girl, darling, love etc.

The same people would probably call a chap mate or something like that.

But, hey, I was a designer in the footwear industry in the eighties & nineties and a regular visitor to the Lancashire shoe mills.

I think that was where my sensitive, feminist nerve was cauterised for all time.

A different time on a different planet.

What really irks me is when 'girl' or similar is taken to equate to stupid.

I am a novice at this self building lark & I love to learn & get free advice.

I am quite capable of understanding things and even sometimes asking intelligent questions.

I just hate being talked down to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@SteamyTeaTee Hee!!

Remember the sketches on The Fast Show where Arabella Weir says something & is totally ignored all the time as if she doesn't actually exist.

That is just what it has been like during this build sometimes.

Happened again just last Tuesday.

I had gone through everything with one of the carpenters on site.

Explained that I did not want him to fix an area of the cedar cladding on the roof overhang until I had put in the MVHR exhaust & intake ducts as wanted to make sure I could get at it to seal properly.

Returned to site a couple of hours later to find he had done exactly what I had asked him not to do.

He told me he thought I was over complicating it & the 150mm gap he had left was perfectly adequate.

I explained again, very nicely, what was required & would he please remove 2 of the boards. He then muttered under his breathe & became very sullen.

At which point I politely mentioned about the tale wagging the dog, asked him to remove the boards & left him to sort himself out.

Guess what. The boards are still up.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Yeh Lizzie, I know.

Hello, am I here, do I exist????

It happens a lot, I recently heard of a company client rep, who happened to be a lady, being effectively ignored by a male client.  Shocked me to hear it, even as a bloke, but then my father was hopeless at anything practical, and it was my mother that always did all the repairs and decorating, even overseeing building work on the house.  I still clearly remember her giving me lessons on everything from how to prepare a surface for painting and applying paint though to how to wire a plug or replace a fuse in the fuse box.  My father never even learned to drive, she did, and did all the car maintenance as well. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

TBF I think it may have been the same if the client had been a man.

I am not really that cross, just a bit disappointed.

He has made a fantastic job of the cedar cladding & I think has enjoyed working on something a bit different and was enthusiastic to see what an almost finished article looked like.

Welcome!

Down here in deepest darkest Devon girls are referred to as ‘maids’ and it’s most definitely a term of endearment and very much the accepted norm. 

In these parts you ignore a maid at your peril, it’s been known to lead to disembowelment :) They breed em tough down ere! 

Edited by Barney12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

@SteamyTea

At which point I politely mentioned about the tale wagging the dog, asked him to remove the boards & left him to sort himself out.

Guess what. The boards are still up.

Some tradesmen just cannot work with others. On a recent job I asked for a sheet of plasterboard to be left portable as I still has some wiring to do. 2 hours later I fins it fixes and skimmed. Ignorant twit

5 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

TBH I am not at all precious about being called things like girl, darling, love etc.

The same people would probably call a chap mate or something like that.

But, hey, I was a designer in the footwear industry in the eighties & nineties and a regular visitor to the Lancashire shoe mills.

I think that was where my sensitive, feminist nerve was cauterised for all time.

A different time on a different planet.

What really irks me is when 'girl' or similar is taken to equate to stupid.

I am a novice at this self building lark & I love to learn & get free advice.

I am quite capable of understanding things and even sometimes asking intelligent questions.

I just hate being talked down to.

Before I ended up in social services I was a shoemaker mainly in bespoke *surgical* shoes.

Once I went self employed I enjoyed the year or so I worked for a threesome of young female designers from Cordwainers College...I was the practical one trying to make their wacky designs.

Vanity is Sanity if I recall ?

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

Some tradesmen just cannot work with others. On a recent job I asked for a sheet of plasterboard to be left portable as I still has some wiring to do. 2 hours later I fins it fixes and skimmed. Ignorant twit

Comforting in a way to know it is not just us girls that have this problem.

• Like 2

One thing I learned during our build was that nobody ever does a perfect job, and that mistakes always happen unless you're super-vigilant at trying to stop them.  I found communicating what was wanted pretty tough going, even after explaining why I wanted something done in a particular way.  I think part of it is that people just work on autopilot and do things the way they've always done in the past, with little heed to the problems it might create for people down the line.  Building seems to be one of the most insular project management jobs I've ever seen, in that it seemed to me that no trade appeared to work cooperatively with any other, they all just did their own thing unless you made it extremely clear that you had to have something done in a specific way.

• Like 1