Multi tool choices

Roger440

I have reached the point i need to buy a multi tool, as this is, clearly, an ommision from my range of man tools.

Question is, which one to buy.

Any thoughts and experiences on what works or doesn't much appreciated.

if you choose to go Makita cordless don't get tempted by the cheaper earlier model that didnt have a tool-less blade change......apparently was a problematic pita. This is 2nd hand info...not my own experience..but it took the advice , and the quick release version is proving great so far.

• Like 1

Just ordered the Makita quick release one tonight. The "51" model. I resisted getting one for so long but on a job where it would come in handy. Always seen it as a "bodging" tool before now. I can't believe how many tools we need nowadays just to keep pace. Makes me sick. Bet our forefathers look down on us with disgust!

• Sad 1

I have the Makita 18v and its on its 3rd gearbox / head, but all changed FOC under Makitas no-quibble 3 year warranty. Id buy the Fein in a heartbeat, but its a bloody expensive machine if your not using it to make a living. 

Id say any of the Makita / Bosch / Dewalt 230volt corded offerings will serve you well. If I had to choose id probably go Dewalt or Bosch as my mates ones seem to have outlived my Makita.  

Fein MultiMaster is worth its weight in gold ... mine is inherited and about 20 years old. 

MY chosen alternative would be one of the cordless Makitas (or within your chosen battery system) with tool-free changes of implement. Do brushless motors apply to Multi-Tools?

I always have slight psychological doubts about the Makita colour, as it so close to David Icke's turquoise shell suits, which are one of those better-never-invented things that irredeemably poison the memory like Vegemite or Abadoo Doo Doo.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

So we are down to Fein, makita, bosch or Dewalt.

Question now is battery or mains. I love battery tools for the lack of a lead, but my experience of battery stuff isn't that good, i suspect becuase the use of any individual tol tends to be occasional. I might not use something for a year!

Right ... the Fein Multimaster Top is the dogs when it comes to corded and it has a price to match. 

Fein also make the MultiTalent too which is just as good but less rugged (and a bit lighter) and is change from £110 delivered. 

https://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/products/fein-fmt250sl-starlock-multitalent-starter-kits.html?SID=778818&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8dGA38G62QIVbrftCh2i8wm2EAQYBSABEgLXKvD_BwE

It makes the Bosch look like a Lidl hairdryer ...

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Right ... the Fein Multimaster Top is the dogs when it comes to corded and it has a price to match. 

Fein also make the MultiTalent too which is just as good but less rugged (and a bit lighter) and is change from £110 delivered. 

https://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/products/fein-fmt250sl-starlock-multitalent-starter-kits.html?SID=778818&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8dGA38G62QIVbrftCh2i8wm2EAQYBSABEgLXKvD_BwE

It makes the Bosch look like a Lidl hairdryer ...

Interesting!

Multimaster is 350w, MultiTalent is 250w. 

My wood butcher has the Ryobi cordless one and whilst it’s light in your hand it vibrates too much - the Fein has a decent amount of weight that means it doesn’t vibrate as much and more goes through the blade. 

9 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Bought enough cheap tools in my life!

Me too. Got a draw full of crap tools from Makro etc. Never use 'em.

The Parkside multi tool however I have not stopped using. Plenty of grunt, nice feel and passes the drop test. Quick change would have been nice. I only got it as my original Draper multi tool had a non standard blade fitting. Top one is the Draper - weird hex fitting,  lower one I think my mates MacAllister. He's now gone 18V DeWalt.

SAM_5212.thumb.jpg.4fe5ed2c5d148bd5d8d78292e9b82c6c.jpg