Following a recent post which also discussed House Naming application :

I thought it might be worth exploring the subject a little more.

Of the various comments, the main objection about having to go through the Council to name your house, is the cost, which varies quite significantly from council to council.  There was in addition some comments expressed about why an official should get to approve the name of your house.

Previously if course, this was a no cost service so there was very little reason not to fill in the form. 

Many have said that you are still going to get your mail, and over time your new address will start appearing on various databases even if you don't go through the local council, so given some councils are charging up to £150, why bother?

For me, there is one very good reason, it will get your house mapped on the GIS system used by the emergency services.  Think about it, do you really want to be in a position where you urgently need an ambulance or there is a fire and the crews don't know where your house is and they cannot get directions from their mapping systems.  I've been in the position of trying to respond to 999 calls and being unable to find an address and not been able to get directions...something to consider.

For those that object to paying the fees being charged, perhaps the way forward not only for yourself but the benefit of others would be to challenge the fee, which should of course only be on a cost recovery basis.  Even assuming an hour of admin officer time in total for each application, one would of thought total employment costs wouldn't exceed £35 per hour.  Anybody up for the challenge?

I confess that I had forgotten about the emergency services bit, the lady from the council did mention it, and it is a very good reason for going through official channels. 

I guess that my recent name change request wasn't so bad as it was a change rather than creating a new one and so cost a lot less than a full application.  I don't know about challenging it, to be honest.  I tend to think that for every successful challenge to lower one fee, something else will go up instead where councils are concerned.

Spurred on by the other thread, I tried once more today. I spoke to RM and the Highland council.

Again neither would budge. RM won't add it to the postcode database unless the council inform them, and the council won't inform them unless I pay the fee.  I did mention about the fee should reflect the actual cost and I thought it too high.  Her reply was the Highland Council reviewed it's fees this January and the house naming fee is now only £100, down from £150.  I told them when it goes down to £50 I will pay it.

The council lady did not seem the least bit bothered that I have not and will not pay the fee for this and they have no intention of chasing it. She again confirmed it is on the councils address database. So I will continue my silent non paying protest. 

If the house catches fire, I will give next doors address, they will soon work out which one has flames coming out of it :ph34r:  But given our postcode only covers the 12 houses in our road, just knowing there is a fire at this postcode should be enough.

When did this GIS database come into effect?  Our last house, completed in 2006 made it onto the postcode database without me filling in any form or paying any money. And on one occasion the police had no trouble finding that address (when when we reported a missing B&B guest as a missing person)

Weirdly (or maybe not) my current house has 2 different addresses.  

According to the council it is 'The Bungalow' AND according to the Royal Mail and all database records, it is ''street name' Bungalow'.

When it was built in 1951 it was at the end of a cul de sac of terraced houses (2 up 2 down, mine workers cottages) and was definitely known as 'The Bungalow' (it was built for my grandparents. 

Since then the cottages have been demolished and there are now 3 other houses (1 detached house and a pair of semi bungalows).  Whilst all of these have names they also have numbers. (detached is on database with name and number; newer bungalows, only numbered).  The numbers continue from the old cottages despite the cottages being demolished before the new properties were built.  So the the cul de sac now has 4 houses - mine (named) and then 42, 44, 46. (all opposite side of the road from me)

I have applied (thanks to info on here) for my new address - The application form tells me I can 'give' it any name I want but that it won't be recorded officially as only numbers are recognised now.  So I suspect my new house will be either 43 or 45 depending on what they believe my current place should be if it had a number. 

As at least half of delivery drivers on their first visit call at my house  or number 42 as they can't work out why something is addressed to 42. 44 or 46 when there are only 4 houses,  

Oh - and it cost me £50.