Floor drains.

Russell griffiths

May find this hard to explain as it’s not something I’ve ever seen in a house in England 

When we lived in oz and built our last place all the rooms with any wet area had a central floor drain, when I first lived over there I thought it was a silly idea but after having a couple of houses and building our last one I really liked the idea. 

so has anybody installed floor drains in their wet areas and has anybody got thoughts on how to achieve this using the uk spec drainage pipe. 

Will try to find a pic. 

Basically it’s very similar looking to a wet room or shower drain but a bit different, from the top it looks identical, 

its the bits below the floor that are different 

the ozzy, American version has a large trap built into it to prevent smells coming back up into the room. 

Ar ha you say thats the same as all the normal ones, the difference is a central floor drain will not have any water down it as it doesn’t function until there is a flood, so what happens is the trap dries out and smells come in, 

so what Jonny foreigner has done is install a connection on the side of the floor drain so another waste water outlet passes through it every time it is used, say the sink the water from the sink passes through the central floor drain and flushes the trap and fills it with new water keeping the smells out. 

4F43FA9F-1DEA-49D8-ABCA-BF52855F85C2.png

This sounds like a prime candidate for the hepvo waterless trap (which has another local nickname)

Don't go getting Aussie ideas and put your WM in the bathroom next to the shower, complete with a handy socket for the hairdryer. You know us Brits are too stupid and we would all kill ourselves if we were allowed to do that, unlike our more sensible friends down under.

I'd seriously look at how many devastating floods I've had, and base my actions on that.

+1 on the waterless trap, but only if its accessible so if it fails you can change it.

Beware ninja slugs who can hold their breath underwater. ( I used to live in a basement bedsit, and there was a sump / drain  in the kitchen which was like the M25 for slugs ). Tidy.  

It's still a good idea regardless of how rare the event is. Especially in extension/new build where it can be incorporated easier. Perhaps more popular in oz because majority of homes bungalows?

infact now I think about it I'm sure one I have seen in oz just had a rodent proof like flood valve coming out of the brickwork externally. Would be a lot easier to do this way. Not good for air tightness though?