Estate Car to carry house doors inside, flat

Seriously, do you need all season tyres and 4 wheel drive in Nottinghamshire. 

I used to travel the length and breadths of the country in a Peugeot 309, sometimes I would tow a 21 foot spar-bath, on a much longer trailer.

I really don't get this 'every eventuality must be covered' thing at all.

Black circles work same way as Asda and similar prices. Sometimes one is cheaper depending on make. I usually compare both because sometimes one of them will have an additional discount on 4 tyres.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I used to travel the length and breadths of the country in a Peugeot 309, sometimes I would tow a 21 foot spar-bath, on a much longer trailer.

I tend to agree, frankly if the weather is that bad I stay home, 4 wheel drive is great for farmers (you need it round here in winter).( Or in Chelsea to take your kids to school ?)

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Goes with the territory in Bidonville surely? 

I need an estate in case I see an old abandoned >insert any white goods appliance here< by the side of the road.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I need an estate in case I see an old abandoned >insert any white goods appliance here< by the side of the road.

Plenty of them surely? Surprised you didn’t find your bath and bog there ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

The last washer I abandoned on the street was taken away in a Rover 100.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Ihave been a bit in 2 minds on all season tyres *and* 4x4, but looking back over the last several years I have had circs where I would benefit from both.

On the Derbyshire borders, and I aspire to a weekend retreat in the sticks ? . This is the undulating bit of Notts ... not the southern flat wussy bit where 4 snowflakes stop the traffic. And who knows, I ma6 need to travel to the ski chalet in Switzerland.

Also you get more towing limit and better towing ability , which may be important.

I am more inclined to cover eventualities when it is planned as a many-years car.

Edited by Ferdinand

10 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Also you get more towing limit and better towing ability , which may be important.

Thats not strictly true - you only get a higher limit due to the vehicle being heavier, to the detriment of fuel consumption, and there is very little difference towing with 4 and 2 wheel drive and in some circumstances FWD is better

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

3 x NSU RO80 plus a 40ft artic trailer ... when dad passed on. No one wants RO80s.

Problem might be that it's a small market, and 3 for sale effectively floods said market.

Amazing cars though - ahead of their time in many ways.

On 05/07/2018 at 12:48, Ferdinand said:

Ihave been a bit in 2 minds on all season tyres *and* 4x4, but looking back over the last several years I have had circs where I would benefit from both.

On the Derbyshire borders, and I aspire to a weekend retreat in the sticks ? . This is the undulating bit of Notts ... not the southern flat wussy bit where 4 snowflakes stop the traffic. And who knows, I ma6 need to travel to the ski chalet in Switzerland.

I am more inclined to cover eventualities when it is planned as a many-years car.

Look out for a spare set of rims with or without tyres, fit winter tyres to these and swap at the end of October.

I have a 4wd estate and like it, tyres all wear evenly and no worries about getting stuck in snow or a field.

18 minutes ago, volcane said:

Look out for a spare set of rims with or without tyres, fit winter tyres to these and swap at the end of October.

I have a 4wd estate and like it, tyres all wear evenly and no worries about getting stuck in snow or a field.

+1

With all this lovely weather we've been having snow seems like a distant memory but the photo below was taken in February this year on the Yorkshire moors. AWD Mondeo with winter tyres - the performance in snow is amazing.

IMG_3803ppresize1600.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/02/2018 at 07:25, Ferdinand said:

The title is probably self-explanatory.

I am taking another look at cars as now seems to be a good time to buy with plenty of discounts around. I am looking for a large estate car which is able to carry about half a dozen doors inside with the rear door shut and seats down, since this is the arrest thing I have needed for the Little Abrown Bungalow renovation this side of an 8x4 sheet of OSB, and vans are out.

Has anyone done this?

I don't really want a big 4x4, and I am not keen on paying the 2k or so extra road tax on cars with a list price of 40k+, which leaves large estates new or recent secondhand. I was looking previously at Audi A6s but I think they are slightly too small, as are Jags and the current big Volvos; the most likely candidate at present is a Mercedes E-Class or something I have not found yet. Honda Civic Touring looks possible, maybe.

The dimensions are 2040 x 826mm for a metric door, and 1981 x 838mm for an imperial size door, so I need 2040 x 838 plus corrugated cardboard wrapping and wiggle room. Online sites seem to measure space for 'boxes' to the back of the front seats, which are inclined backwards so the measurement is too short wrt the load deck floor.

I would love to go round the dealers with a real door to try it out, but I can't fit it in the existing car :-o. So once I have a shortlist it is going to be a tour with a large piece of cardboard to check.

Cheers for any comments.

Ferdinand

Volvo V70 all day long. Go for a 2000-2007. It will also give you half a million miles service if the basics are looked after. There are plenty of mint condition ones at this age and they are mechanically spot on (unless some maintenance-phobe had them). Have some fun too and get one that will eat most BMW's, Audi's Merc's etc. out there!

The rear seats can be folded down totally flat (if you remove rear seat bases - 4 easy clips and the lot is out) to create a dead flat load bay extending right to the rear of the front seats.

Edited by Carrerahill

6 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Volvo V70 all day long. Go for a 2000-2007. It will also give you half a million miles service if the basics are looked after. There are plenty of mint condition ones at this age and they are mechanically spot on (unless some maintenance-phobe had them). Have some fun too and get one that will eat most BMW's, Audi's Merc's etc. out there!

The rear seats can be folded down totally flat (if you remove rear seat bases - 4 easy clips and the lot is out) to create a dead flat load bay extending right to the rear of the front seats.

Too late. Ordered the 150PS 2WD Diesel version this morning !

Looking at the V70s you mention they look OK. The starkest comes hanger seems to be that MPG seems to have improved by about a third for comparable models.

Tempting to get an old one to play with during the 12-14 week wait period, though.

Edited by Ferdinand

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Returning to this thread - I have the new car.

The car he is here:

IMG_1370-s.thumb.jpg.9a6f47a82becf563da923d2f99b1a1fd.jpg

And the house door she fits:

IMG_1375-s.thumb.jpg.ed98250192b7883ce537e367ab7f8773.jpg

IMG_1377-s.thumb.jpg.d16605ce74453a548a994eaac7a83fde.jpg

IMG_1374-s.thumb.jpg.533692c10153590510b1490aded3fcac.jpg

There's a snazzy underfloor storage method for that luggage cover that I have not yet got to grips with, and apparently some sort of divider net too.

I need a couple of protective products for when I am carrying things:

Protector for the top side of the rear bumber.

Come sort of robust boot liner.

Protection for the passenger seat when folded flat.

And I need to give a little thought to a stronger 'variable boot floor', as the OEM item is limited to 75kg. A couple of battens sat underneath might do it, but I want a decent answer for the long term.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I need a couple of protective products for when I am carrying things:

Protector for the top side of the rear bumber.

Come sort of robust boot liner.

Protection for the passenger seat when folded flat.

And I need to give a little thought to a stronger 'variable boot floor', as the OEM item is limited to 75kg. A couple of battens sat underneath might do it, but I want a decent answer for the long term.

Ferdinand

I've bough Hatchbags for the family cars for the last few years.  They will likely do all the bits (including protection for the inside of the hatchback) you want and tailored to your specific car model.  Not cheap but well made and a perfect fit.  Vinyl like material, so if you are looking for a moulded plastic tray boot liner, they may not be for you.  As a dog owner, if I changed my car, it'd be one of the first things I buy - makes vacuuming and cleaning a lot easier.  

https://www.hatchbag.co.uk

With the bumper protector out.  I usually leave it in and just fold it back in to the car when not in use...

8CC11F86-D2CD-4F24-B131-AF70F0F83C18.jpeg

The one below shows the hatchback liner - Useful to stop scratches when things slide about ....

EF727EDF-82B2-4559-87B8-4C2BAA162970.jpeg

The one below shows the tailored headrest protector - essential component for stopping Labrador drool ?

6B47C354-15FA-4AA0-9FB7-905ECE4D4F9A.jpeg

I also have the boot liner extension (not shown) which Velcros around the front seat head rests and is for use when the rear seats are folded down.

Edited by Cambs
Added photos
  • Like 1

I have used fairly cheap plastic trays in the back of my last three cars.  They were all from eBay, (like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAILORED-PVC-BOOT-LINER-MAT-TRAY-Skoda-Superb-Estate-since-2015-lower-trunk/401571377397?hash=item5d7f84f0f5:g:FdoAAOSw6AVbVYv8:rk:29:pf:0 ) and are made from a super-tough, flexible, plastic, with a non-slip pattern that looks like tread plate.

• Like 1

Someone on another forum has suggested a few of these house removal packer blankets at 2m x 1.5m size, which is a great idea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/171821800141?chn=ps&amp;var=470773135762

Pack of 5 is £16, pack of 10 is £23, pack of 100 is £175.

A couple kept under the boot floor would be a great idea.

s-l640.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

14 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I have used fairly cheap plastic trays in the back of my last three cars.  They were all from eBay, (like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAILORED-PVC-BOOT-LINER-MAT-TRAY-Skoda-Superb-Estate-since-2015-lower-trunk/401571377397?hash=item5d7f84f0f5:g:FdoAAOSw6AVbVYv8:rk:29:pf:0 ) and are made from a super-tough, flexible, plastic, with a non-slip pattern that looks like tread plate.

I just received mine today, found them for £10 brand new delivered :O