My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

And some photos of the bits of the meters I can see. They are boxed in apart from the bit where you can read the meters but essentially they are side by side. I can unscrew the covers (I think!) if it’s helpful? 

E0809480-10EE-4303-A31D-BA5DCD41F11E.jpeg

023EF830-6794-4F9C-B6FE-DDAD2605A4AF.jpeg

Crikey. Is it a nursing home or a small school ?

The wiring is as over-engineered as the plumbing.....I think I feel a theme here. :D At least the wiring needs no work doing from a glance, as its about as good and diverse as a system could get. A microwave oven with its own circuit! and then the cooker hood has its own circuit too.

God bless your late husband, he was an engineer through and through. A man after many of our hearts. :)

I'll leave pro Dave comment on the electrics as my brains still in rehab learning about your plumbing :S but I don't envy his task either! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

And the local man put 2 switches on the wall next to the controllers. The one that is switched off is the immersion and the one that is on is the boiler. 

IMG_0210.jpg

Did he fit the Drayton time clock and why? I think the EHC one is part of the original setup and the two zones / channels on that may be the summer / winter controls I spoke of in 'war and peace'. The other theory is the Drayton does DHW. 

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Did he fit the Drayton time clock and why? I think the EHC one is part of the original setup and the two zones / channels on that may be the summer / winter controls I spoke of in 'war and peace'. The other theory is the Drayton does DHW. 

He fitted all of the bits in the photo. None of that was there before. The Drayton time clock controls the underfloor heating pump. 

1 minute ago, newhome said:

@Nickfromwales the top invoice here explains what the Drayton does but essentially it turns the UFH pump off and on via time switch. 

Yup, the second bill confirms he should have got back in his van and left the better man. Nearly £700 for him to chop some unnecessary equipment in and make it worse imho. 

He may have looked like a knight in shining armour at the time but 'cock' still seems fit from where im sitting. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

ok some clarity for my melted head. 

Did local guy come out AFTER the system was fully installed, or is he the original installer. 

He came out about a year ago eons after it was all installed and after my hubby had died as I wanted to try to get the hot water working without the UFH pump being switched on. He installed the 5 new bits as pictured. Definitely definitely none of that was in the original spec. 

Can you remove some f the boxing in. I want to see both the meters in full and any time clocks and the wiring associated with them.

I see the 3 phase consumer units That all looks okay . 

I am trying to establish how the metering system for this tariff works so I need the best picture you can of the meters and their wiring.

At the moment about 1/3 of your usage is at the peak rate., that tends to confirm some of your heating load is on at the peak rate time and being charged thus.

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

Trouble is I had no knowledge and when someone says they will work it all out and get it working I wanted to believe it. 

I fully appreciate that and im not having a dig, just my way of conveying myself sometimes isn't the best ;) It just winds me up when what you had could have been made to work, just it seems this chap, even with the very best of intentions, could have done better. 

In his defence, when faced with what we see, any mere mortal would have burst into tears. Not in his defence was charging you to interfere with something above his pay grade. If he wanted to experiment he should have done the work for free. 

Good news is that were getting somewhere. Glass half full and all that :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, newhome said:

He came out about a year ago eons after it was all installed and after my hubby had died as I wanted to try to get the hot water working without the UFH pump being switched on. He installed the 5 new bits as pictured. Definitely definitely none of that was in the original spec. 

I think this statement nails it. I doubt he, or perhaps you, knew that the system ( what you already had fitted ) just needed to be configured properly, and had the means there to do what you wanted by programming. 

The touchscreen heat miser system clearly is plenty comprehensive enough to do the job, just its the dangerous grey area where plumbing and complex wiring reside........and very few plumbers have the slightest clue about multi-discipline wiring and controls. I make a good few quid off my Gas registered plumbing mates who cant do any complex wiring, particularly old to new conversions. 

Can you recall which controls were in place before 'his' arrival ?

40 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hmmm. The shot of the first CU shows a stray MCB ( trip switch ) thats not on the legend. The whole house is all RCBO, which is the best you can get with no exception, so a bit odd to see one thats been added thats just a regular trip. 

And the wrong make for the board.

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And the wrong make for the board.

The remedial work after the electrical test was carried out wasn't done by my hubby as he was too sick by then. We had a firm out to do it. Not sure if that's one of the things they put in. There were a few things to address. Dunno. 

I have no chance of getting that cover off, at least not tonight. The screws are tight as ar4eholes and I can't find a screwdriver to fit, and anyway it looks like they've been sunk with a drill and I don't really do drills and things :ph34r:

Just now, newhome said:

@Nickfromwales do you think I should give your plan a whirl tonight or leave it for when it's not so late? 

First thing in the morning shut everything down so when you get home its cold. Then follow the start up process so we can see whats doing what. 

Note where / how everything is current set so you can go back to muddling through at the very least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

How do I edit a PDF file to remove name / address details? 

Not easy but you could draw a box over it, filled - from the ADOBE COMMENT menu, then save it as a picture then upload the picture. Alternatively I think you can use the box cover and then save it as  a non editable PDF but i am not sure you could not then remove the box if you wanted to enough. Alternatively get a post it note to cover it before you scan / photo it.

Edited by MikeSharp01
  • Like 1