My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

25 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Its a TS so there is no variable load. The boiler has one of two targets to attain. In DHW 'summer mode' we've set it to heat the top of the TS to 65 iirc so the boiler ( which is now a dumb box on the wall set to do as its told and nothing more ( practice differs slightly from the theory as its logic tells it to modulate as it hits the drop off point )) and therefore should just go at full wallop until that stat clicks to satisfied, where it should go into overrun and then standby. 

Yep, that's what I've observed. Firing on 24kw then straight back to standby. 

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Without picking this apart for its failings, it works, so a result afaic. But its still in the back of my head that we walked away without hitting 100% ( instead we left more than reasonably happy that we did what we could with what was there ).

In a PM I called it "polishing a turd", guess ill never make it to the parish council :ph34r: "More tea, Vicar?" 

I am more than happy with what you achieved here. And the turd is looking pretty shiny from where I'm sitting. I've called it much worse in the past, and who wants to be on the parish council anyway .... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newhome said:

How hot does yours heat your TS to? And what does the heat differential need to be between TS temp and the collectcr for the ST to actually heat the TS?  

I'm afraid it's like how long is a piece of string!  Direction of solar panels, type of panel, and angle of mounting, etc.  We have a large flat panel, facing SSE, at about 45 degrees.  On a full sunny day in summer, it can get our 300 litre tank up to around 60 degrees, but usually it heats up the bottom third by about 25 degrees.  That's in Perthshire, so I'm sure others further south will do better.  The system is set up so that the solar panel has to be more than 7 degrees hotter than the bottom part of the thermal store before pumping begins.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, pulhamdown said:

The system is set up so that the solar panel has to be more than 7 degrees hotter than the bottom part of the thermal store before pumping begins.  

that is what this is set to .... ¬¬

Do wonder if the mains water is really 6 bar, and attaching it to the fill loop on the solar may make the AAVs “pop” a little ... 

48 minutes ago, pulhamdown said:

I'm afraid it's like how long is a piece of string!  Direction of solar panels, type of panel, and angle of mounting, etc.  We have a large flat panel, facing SSE, at about 45 degrees.  On a full sunny day in summer, it can get our 300 litre tank up to around 60 degrees, but usually it heats up the bottom third by about 25 degrees.  That's in Perthshire, so I'm sure others further south will do better.  The system is set up so that the solar panel has to be more than 7 degrees hotter than the bottom part of the thermal store before pumping begins.  

I don’t have much info on that score other than the receipt for the purchase and a photo of them on the roof. They are pretty much south facing I believe (well I am on the coast and they point in the direction of England anyway!). 

The TS is 475l. 

94DA0D83-13F9-4232-B93A-9E31AE5FD722.jpeg

294AB0FA-1358-48CD-A386-F648C7B1888A.jpeg

Edited by newhome

9 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

best bit of physics i learned today on radio 4, bananas create antimatter

Indeedy. The banana was split some years ago.

(Better go and do something useful)

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

that brings back memories!  I was only about 4 when that came out. :)

I was 3 when it started and 5 when it stopped so I must have seen repeats I guess as I’m sure I watched it with my younger brother. 

On 16/04/2018 at 09:37, Nickfromwales said:

Ahhh, nothing quite as satisfying as seeing someone getting a custard pie to the face.

Soooo frickin' old........but good to see something that doesn't NEED 4k HD. Bah.  

Satisfying?

Sally James being cream pied on Tiswas!

;)