My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

No pressure then :S  Jeez :D

If you've got time to drink and measure each others fart temperatures... :)

Seriously though well done for taking this on. Proper DIY SOS stuff!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, newhome said:

So just to prove that hybrid cars are not viable for long journeys @PeterW has me setting off on a 7 hour round trip to Preston to pick up a 5 quid part! :ph34r:

Maybe you were getting in the way? :)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, billt said:

Now the system's working properly (I guess) is Ms newhome fully trained on the (presumably simplified) system and able to fix it herself without the use of local plumbers?

As in ongoing maintenance, bleeding etc, good point.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Onoff said:

As in ongoing maintenance, bleeding etc, good point.

Good point. 

About half way through our build I realised that I might not be around to look after all the systems in a few years time (a bit morbid, I know, but frankly I think it's very, very useful to have a healthy dose of realism when it comes to maintenance).

This had two main consequences, the first was that I changed a heck of a lot of stuff from custom made to off-the-shelf.  The second was that I made a concerted effort to document everything and print off two copies of the main system diagrams and instructions, with one set being laminated and fixed near the relevant system, the other set going into a house documentation pack, that has a lot more detail about how everything was done and includes lots of photos from the build, showing where everything is, including the location of pipes, wiring, ducts etc that are now hidden from view.

Guest Alphonsox

I've done the same - I had great plans for a software controlled

10 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

About half way through our build I realised that I might not be around to look after all the systems in a few years time (a bit morbid, I know, but frankly I think it's very, very useful to have a healthy dose of realism when it comes to maintenance).

I've done the same, A couple of deaths in the near family made me realise that my R-Pi/self-coded software system was an indulgence that wasn't maintainable as a long term solution. I now have a documented system that uses of the shelf parts and performs 80-90% as I would want. The gain of an extra 10-20% in performance at the cost of having an unmaintainable system just isn't worth it IMHO.

1 hour ago, billt said:

Now the system's working properly (I guess) is Ms newhome fully trained on the (presumably simplified) system and able to fix it herself without the use of local plumbers?

Not yet! Been on the road for 8 hours getting that part today. Hopefully tomorrow! :)

48 minutes ago, newhome said:

Not yet! Been on the road for 8 hours getting that part today. Hopefully tomorrow! :)

Every team needs a labrador!

And you got to step upon the hallowed ground that is CPC! :)

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Every team needs a labrador!

And you got to step upon the hallowed ground that is CPC! :)

Don't even speak about CPC..!!! Sent a part by UPS on a paid for Saturday delivery and forgot to say it wouldn’t be delivered... til Tuesday ..!! Which according to the UPS Polish call centre is “Next Working Day”....!!

But on the up side, the main display now shows this ...

3FEE40D1-F9BD-4D89-9757-EAB93C693F53.thumb.jpeg.9bcad2e3f8be3dd4a15d48978703bc3a.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Don't even speak about CPC..!!! Sent a part by UPS on a paid for Saturday delivery and forgot to say it wouldn’t be delivered... til Tuesday ..!! Which according to the UPS Polish call centre is “Next Working Day”....!!

But on the up side, the main display now shows this ...

3FEE40D1-F9BD-4D89-9757-EAB93C693F53.thumb.jpeg.9bcad2e3f8be3dd4a15d48978703bc3a.jpeg

You must be well chuffed!

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You must be well chuffed!

Not been without its challenges ..! Proper team effort and there is a growing pile of brass and scrap copper that is just surplus to requirements ..!

And an abject lesson to anyone who has a thermal store - order one with a built in coil rather than a PHE and save yourself half a ton of scrap ..!

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

And an abject lesson to anyone who has a thermal store - order one with a built in coil rather than a PHE and save yourself half a ton of scrap ..!

What would be the advantage of using a PHE?  I can't think of one off the top of my head apart from they can be changed to a smaller or larger one.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

What would be the advantage of using a PHE?  I can't think of one off the top of my head apart from they can be changed to a smaller or larger one.

Only for hydraulic separation eg if glycol was present. 

After that, integral coil EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.