My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

Was the last time I went there about 10 years ago.

I was walking the coast path.  Thought I would go in there for supper.  Went to campsite first, showered and at supper time walked back to the Wink.

Did not do food.  So got a taxi back into Penzance and had supper there.

I looked at buying the house nearest the old harbour (say old, as in collapsing sea wall), it was the seaweed that was hanging from the roof that put me off, and that was after just a small storm.

I do like it there.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

If they like running, then try Helston, largest lake in Cornwall, if not he SW is there.  I walk around it and it takes 2 hours, other run around it and take 2 hours, same as the bicycleists.

Cool, thanks! I have passed on all the info. I don't get how you walk round that lake in the same time as it takes someone to cycle round it though. Are you bionic? O.o

10 hours ago, newhome said:

So it’s circa 30 seconds to feel any sign of warmth at all and just over a minute to get it up to the full temperature. That’s a minute of my life I will never get back when I shower :D 

The shower in our static caravan is like that.

Solution:

Turn the shower on. THEN start getting undressed. By the time you have got your kit off, the warm water has arrived. No time wasted.

Same in the morning. I have got to know the point during my shave when it is just the right time to turn the tap on, and as I put my razor away the warm water is just arriving for a wash.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The shower in our static caravan is like that.

Solution:

Turn the shower on. THEN start getting undressed. By the time you have got your kit off, the warm water has arrived. No time wasted.

Yeah I do something like that! Have to jump in PDQ when it's up to heat tho as it runs out pretty quickly currently and a girl needs to put 'products' on her hair more than blokes I imagine :P. Although whacking the boiler up to max when I shower which raises the TS temperature has helped with that to a degree. The boiler retailer told me not to leave it on 90 degrees though so I turn it back down to 75 afterwards. 

And I recall the days of showering in our touring caravan during the build with (I imagine) an even smaller heater than your static. Get in shower, get wet, turn water off, lather up hair etc, turn water on to rinse off, otherwise the bloody thing would run cold before I'd finished. Luckily I only had to put up with it at weekends as I had a flat in town and stayed there during the week. Terry had to put up with it for a year though, other than once a week on a Sun evening when he dropped me back at the flat so could shower there. 

Our bar mixer shower upstairs:

Turn the shower on, hot and cold valves...if lucky it works. If not then barely a trickle.

Take the handset off place it in the tray...try again. Turn on the cold and pump kicks in. Turn on the hot. If you're lucky you get a hot, decent shower.

If not.....unscrew the shower hose from the bar mixer. Turn on the cold valve, pump kicks in. Turn on the hot. It might work! If not...Place thumb over outlet and sort of press, release, press, release with your thumb. If lucky it'll eventually come out hot. Then fight to get the hose screwed back on.

• Haha 1

I don't have much hair left and what is there is very short. Let's just say hair washing does not take long.

Water heater is gas instantaneous so we will only run out of hot water if we run out of gas.  The complaint is the stupid way it is plumbed making the run from the boiler to the tap about 3 times as long as it has to be.

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Our bar mixer shower upstairs:

Turn the shower on, hot and cold valves...if lucky it works. If not then barely a trickle.

Take the handset off place it in the tray...try again. Turn on the cold and pump kicks in. Turn on the hot. If you're lucky you get a hot, decent shower.

If not.....unscrew the shower hose from the bar mixer. Turn on the cold valve, pump kicks in. Turn on the hot. It might work! If not...Place thumb over outlet and sort of press, release, press, release with your thumb. If lucky it'll eventually come out hot. Then fight to get the hose screwed back on.

:D

The shower in the main bedroom is fecked! Couldn’t stand under it unless I was wearing a heatproof suit. I guess the thermostat is buggered or something. It used to work ok! Luckily there are other showers here ;)

29 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Water heater is gas instantaneous so we will only run out of hot water if we run out of gas. 

Luxury compared to a tourer then! And Terry never took long to wash what was left of his hair either! ;)

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

:D

The shower in the main bedroom is fecked! Couldn’t stand under it unless I was wearing a heatproof suit. I guess the thermostat is buggered or something. It used to work ok! Luckily there are other showers here ;)

What sort is it ..? The cartridges are pretty easy to change 

This was my favourite shower:

2017-04-30_03-44-46

Heated by my home made solar thermal panel. Completely made from accumulated scrap. Something quite satisfying about a Summer's evening al fresco shower in the garden when it hasn't cost you a penny. Makes the cold beer taste better. It's about time I revisited the whole solar thermal thing......

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Something quite satisfying about a Summer's evening al fresco shower in the garden when it hasn't cost you a penny. Makes the cold beer taste better. It's about time I revisited the whole solar thermal thing......

That would work for about a day a year here then! :D

Once you’ve had a few beers I guess it doesn’t matter too much if the neighbours catch sight of you in the buff! :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Onoff said:

This was my favourite shower:

2017-04-30_03-44-46

Heated by my home made solar thermal panel. Completely made from accumulated scrap. Something quite satisfying about a Summer's evening al fresco shower in the garden when it hasn't cost you a penny. Makes the cold beer taste better. It's about time I revisited the whole solar thermal thing......

For a minute I thought you were showering with warm beer, I don't know what made me think that.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, newhome said:

This 

D6E03004-3E13-4A0C-B72F-B2BC2DCAF246.jpeg

Hmmm..... spares are obsolete for those and the cartridges were one piece as part of the valve. Could be a blocked inlet but more likely that the wax cap has gone in it. 

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hmmm..... spares are obsolete for those and the cartridges were one piece as part of the valve. Could be a blocked inlet but more likely that the wax cap has gone in it. 

Fecked then and whole thing needs replacing? The mixer thing stopped turning from memory. 

30 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Two Nun's are bathing at the convent.

Sister Theresa says "where's the soap"

Mother Maria replies "It does, doesn't it"

TRusting that your sister is not called Theresa.

As the bishop said to the wrong actress of the twins ...

Edited by Ferdinand

57 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Two Nun's are bathing at the convent.

Sister Theresa says "where's the soap"

Mother Maria replies "It does, doesn't it"

The old ones are still the best ;)