My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

To be honest a KFC without any food is probably an improvement so not sure why they're apologising! ;)

It truly is the most hideous stuff. Even outranks Mackie Ds in the grossness stakes by a considerable margin! 

2 hours ago, newhome said:

I’m not quite that bad as I can get to Edinburgh and back in the 2 hours, so mine is a round trip. It tends to concentrate the mind on ensuring you have all relevant parts before starting something tho. It was a shock to the system as I was only a couple of miles from Homebase etc previously. I think I would have been yelling at the supplier to courier them to me in your scenario lol. 

Need @Nickfromwales and @PeterW to ensure they know what parts might be needed and where they are likely to be sourced from otherwise they could be camped out here for weeks waiting for stuff to arrive :D  

Still scratching out a list as all the various bits of info starts to settle. Have to keep re-reading this to make sure we dont overlook anything. Coffee No.2 is helping.  

9 minutes ago, newhome said:

To be honest a KFC without any food is probably an improvement so not sure why they're apologising! ;)

It truly is the most hideous stuff. Even outranks Mackie Ds in the grossness stakes by a considerable margin! 

I beg to differ. At least they only slice up the chickens before serving, but McD's seem to go through a de-nutrification process where anything of any nutritional value is sucked out. I leave McD's hungrier than when I go in. 

Give me the chicken any day of the week. 

My kids used to say, "Daddy, isn't it true that its only the really old animals that are about to die that we eat?" and I'd reply "Yes, of course"...

There id say "You enjoying your lamb dinner?" and 4 smiling faces would spin around and say..."More please! And dont forget the mint sauce"  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

My kids used to say, "Daddy, isn't it true that its only the really old animals that are about to die that we eat?" and I'd reply "Yes, of course"...

There id say "You enjoying your lamb dinner?" and 4 smiling faces would spin around and say..."More please! And dont forget the mint sauce"  xD

You are far too kind.

I explained to my niece and nephew that it is far better to know the names of the animals, including hopefully horses, that you are eating. Far more humane and greener.

Delighted to see I can now get Dartmoor Pony burgers, but the cost is a bit like having a horse step on your toe.

The only thing I have baulked at recently was sea anenomes with the spines still attached, out of not having a clue how to eat it.

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

"You enjoying your lamb dinner?"

I have met a few women that are mutton dressed up as lamb :D

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Seem to be drifting off topic a bit:D.

Yes, just while Nick sorts out the parts list.

Do you think they only slept and fixed Apollo 13 as they circled the dark side of the moon, no, they discussed their favourite meals and how nice it would be not to pee in a suit.  That is the real conspiracy of manned space flight.  Why they all say that the Earth smells so nice.  Unlike the cafe I was in earlier.  Large family with small farting baby, that kept screaming until mother popped her tit out and smothered the little bugger.

My girlfriend said that 'In Portugal, you would be arrested for that'.  So I am now going to join a political party, probably the Greens, and see if i can get voted in on having small children arrested, along with building in green fields and the banning of nylon clothes (see this weeks comic about that).

I think I am going to have a lay down in the sun now before I have an attack of the vapours.

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2018 at 22:40, MikeSharp01 said:

Do we know the fluid temperature circulating round the boiler / plate heat exchanger circuit is that at 70ish?

Just pointed the thermometer at the PHE. Reads 55 which is about the same temp as the TS which is 54, and a lot less than the boiler setting which is 75. Not sure if any of that is relevant :S

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

When you take the TS temperature, are you finding a bit that is exposed i.e. no insulation covering it?

I'm not taking it at all - I'm reading it off the temp gauge ;)

10 minutes ago, newhome said:

Just pointed the thermometer at the PHE. Reads 55 which is about the same temp as the TS which is 54, and a lot less than the boiler setting which is 75. Not sure if any of that is relevant :S

Can you point it at the pipe coming out of the boiler ..?? I have a suspicion .... 

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Can you point it at the pipe coming out of the boiler ..?? I have a suspicion .... 

I'm not sure this thing works properly on pipes as my hand says its reading is shite (says it's only 30 something and no way is that right). The pipe going into the boiler (well there are 2 pipes from the boiler joining the PHE) are hotter than putting my hand on the PHE. Quite a bit hotter but not as hot as the green pump marked 'up'. Maybe slightly hotter than the silver upside down pump which shows 64. I can leave my hand on the PHE with a reading of 55 but no way can I leave my hand on those pipes. So at a guess I'd say 70 ish.  

2 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

apply some black magic marker or the like to the pipe (or the shiny PHE) first, as clean copper doesn't give a good reading.

Ha ha - I should have read this first. Thank you! What's a black magic marker :ph34r: - sounds like some spell :S

Edited by newhome

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

A felt tip pen that you can sniff when there is nothing else.

70°C is about as hot as a dry hand can stand.

Thanks! I will go in search of the markers with the nice smell. I know the ones you mean - a bit addictive ;). 98 was way too hot for my hand! That pump is reading over 100 today and I just burnt myself on it again. You know how you have to touch something 'just to check' 9_9:ph34r:

• Like 1