My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

Just now, Onoff said:

I was stunned to see those along with Toffee Crisp on a chippy menu in Edinburgh years ago. Seem to remember they kept them in a freezer and cooked them "fresh".

The battered deep fried pizza stunned me when I first moved up here! :D

Some interweb stuff :

• Glycol

Propylene glycol is non-toxic anti- freeze. Brands designated for solar have re-soluble inhibitors. The inhibitors prevent the glycol from becoming too acidic for the pipe. The glycol should be rated for at least 325 degrees. It will keep its' integrity for 5 years under normal conditions and less per occurrence of overheating conditions. When glycol degrades it becomes acidic enough to eat through copper especially where there is extra friction in the pipe such as at elbows. It also loses its freeze protection gradually, as the inherent chemical compounds eventually separate.

And for @JSHarris this wee gem...

• Thermal mass

Excess heat produced during summer can be stored in sand, earth, salt or water for use during winter. 

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Some interweb stuff :

• Glycol

Propylene glycol is non-toxic anti- freeze. Brands designated for solar have re-soluble inhibitors. The inhibitors prevent the glycol from becoming too acidic for the pipe. The glycol should be rated for at least 325 degrees. It will keep its' integrity for 5 years under normal conditions and less per occurrence of overheating conditions. When glycol degrades it becomes acidic enough to eat through copper especially where there is extra friction in the pipe such as at elbows. It also loses its freeze protection gradually, as the inherent chemical compounds eventually separate.

And for @JSHarris this wee gem...

• Thermal mass

Excess heat produced during summer can be stored in sand, earth, salt or water for use during winter. 

Nice reliable internet data..........

I reckon a fair proportion of the information on the internet is just plain wrong, much of it repeated from other sources with zero fact checking.  A bit like some news sites.

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I reckon a fair proportion of the information on the internet is just plain wrong, much of it repeated from other sources with zero fact checking.  A bit like some news sites.

We better shut this forum down asap then :D

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

There is more nutrition in the packaging than the contents .... 

Just like the haggis. 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Wonder if there is a ZV lurking behind that TS somewhere ..? I can’t see one on any picture ...!

There's deffo nowt lurking behind the TS anywhere, either furry creatures or otherwise ;). I looked and there was a fire extinguisher, 2 bottles of that triple X stuff and shit loads of dust. No extra / missed components. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

And a KFC :o

Be a bit of a trek! McDonald’s is 8 miles, KFC over 30. They have chickens next door though so no visitors will go hungry if we get desperate! ;)

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Sounds like Cornwall, in the 1990s!!

Had to go to Devon to get a McCheese

When we lived in Dumfries and Galloway we either drove around 60 miles to Ayr to do a "big shop" or drove 60 miles to Dumfries.  Most of the time it was quicker to get the Seacat over to Belfast and shop there...........

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Sounds like Cornwall, in the 1990s!!

Had to go to Devon to get a McCheese

The Mcdonalds is new. Used to be 30 miles for that too. Nothing hits home how far you are from civilisation when in the middle of a self build until you need the smallest thing really urgently and can’t spare the 2 hours it would take to get to a DIY shop and back. Amazon Prime is a lifesaver for me here. 

Odd isn't it, we ponder how far it is to a fast food place.  When I was a baby, we lived in Brunei, The nearest 'western' hospital was in Singapore, about 850 miles away.

Great time for my parents to find out I had serious asthma caused by the dog they had.

Luckily we had 10,000 British troops keeping the 8,000 Bruneiese in order.

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

The Mcdonalds is new. Used to be 30 miles for that too. Nothing hits home how far you are from civilisation when in the middle of a self build until you need the smallest thing really urgently and can’t spare the 2 hours it would take to get to a DIY shop and back. Amazon Prime is a lifesaver for me here. 

I had much the same.  I decided to fit a new kitchen, drove 60 miles up to Ayr to pick it up, then 60 miles back home again.  The next day I discovered some hinges were missing for the doors, so had to drive back up to Ayr and back to pick them up, around 2 hours each way.

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

Amazon Prime is a lifesaver for me here. 

Pre second world war, it was usual that shops delivered and when my sister lived in Brazil in the 90s they always got things delivered.

Seems that picking stuff up from a shop is is just a short blip in normal retail service.  A failed experiment that lasted 80 years, which is nothing in real terms.

Still with Amazon Prime and a decent interweb line, you get to watch our brave boys drive cars too fast on the Grand Tour.  I just have to do illegal downloads at no cost!

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I had much the same.  I decided to fit a new kitchen, drove 60 miles up to Ayr to pick it up, then 60 miles back home again.  The next day I discovered some hinges were missing for the doors, so had to drive back up to Ayr and back to pick them up, around 2 hours each way.

I’m not quite that bad as I can get to Edinburgh and back in the 2 hours, so mine is a round trip. It tends to concentrate the mind on ensuring you have all relevant parts before starting something tho. It was a shock to the system as I was only a couple of miles from Homebase etc previously. I think I would have been yelling at the supplier to courier them to me in your scenario lol. 

Need @Nickfromwales and @PeterW to ensure they know what parts might be needed and where they are likely to be sourced from otherwise they could be camped out here for weeks waiting for stuff to arrive :D  

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Still with Amazon Prime and a decent interweb line, you get to watch our brave boys drive cars too fast on the Grand Tour.  I just have to do illegal downloads at no cost!

Whereas I have access to Prime video and thus the Grand Tour and never use it so don’t look upon it as illegal, look upon it that you’re using my previously unclaimed benefit :D