My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

The one thing I’m not clear about is, has the TS and all the associated heat sources, boiler and solar panels and all the outlets to UFH been plumbed correctly? Ie. Is the solar thermal using the correct coils as per the manufacturers diagrams? Do the UFH feed and return leave and join in the right places?

The solar was installed by solar man so one hopes it was done correctly. We got a grant from the Energy Saving Trust for the solar. The grant was £2353.50. Guess what solar man charged to install it (he only installed the solar bits, not the TS, boiler etc), yep £2353.50. I don't know if that's usual. I thought it was a lot given that we bought all the kit. He's the one who won't come out and sort the solar as 'he doesn't install those now' and more or less told me it had died and gone to heaven. 

The solar controller is below your boiler on the RHS. It looks like it has a resol  bs or similar fitted. It should have 3 buttons, a round one  in the middle and two triangle ones on either side. You can use the RH button to toggle through the settings and there should be an info graphic showing you which sensors you are looking at (left button to go back) . It will tell you the panel temp, store temp, and pump condition ( on or off). If its sunny, put your hands on the pipes running up through the ceiling to the RHS of the boiler (black lagged) and see if one is warm and the other is cooler. 

If the system is airlocked as we previously speculated, then the pump will be running but not moving water so you might as well switch the controller off, it will just damage the pump otherwise. 

5D9FF157-22EC-44E4-BBAC-CB8CE340EB30.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

The solar was installed by solar man so one hopes it was done correctly. We got a grant from the Energy Saving Trust for the solar. The grant was £2353.50. Guess what solar man charged to install it (he only installed the solar bits, not the TS, boiler etc), yep £2353.50. I don't know if that's usual. I thought it was a lot given that we bought all the kit. He's the one who won't come out and sort the solar as 'he doesn't install those now' and more or less told me it had died and gone to heaven. 

Did he supply the panels, pipework, pump station, antifreeze as part of the price? Photos of the panels will help. 

More pointing ..........

The (tiled) floor one end of the room I'm in (loop 1) is 17.8, the middle loop (loop 2) is 17.0 and the other end (loop 3) is 16.7. Room TS says 17.7 and it's set to get to 20.

Next door (the room where the heating isn't connected up as yet) it's 11.6. 

At most he will have supplied a bit of Cu pipe and couplings. The IDA invoice (page 1) shows that they supplied almost everything, including antifreeze.

There's a picture of the first panel frame in situ on the blog, probably doesn't help much, but tells you it's a roof mounted system. The collectors are 30 x 58mm evacuated tube types.

IMG_0161.jpg.b3b4dc9e381ffffa5f618ab1a82b5096.jpg

Solar 006.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richi said:

Amazon tip: Every time it doesn't arrive by the Prime-guaranteed delivery date, complain. You'll get an extra month of Prime. Easiest is to use this form to email Indian CS: amzn.to/2EQUHfI 

Also, set a default "safe place" for deliveries while you're out. That should still be honoured by all carriers and so isn't an excuse for non-delivery (unless it's something that requires a signature, like alcohol): amzn.to/2sMAUfE (click Edit on your address and scroll down).

Yeah, I’ve got loads of free months out of them but I’d rather have the bloody thing arrive when I need it. I’ve set a safe place and they won’t leave it there ‘as it’s not safe’. Been up to the sorting office and had a conversation with them about it but nope! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, newhome said:

Yeah, I’ve got loads of free months out of them but I’d rather have the bloody thing arrive when I need it. I’ve set a safe place and they won’t leave it there ‘as it’s not safe’. Been up to the sorting office and had a conversation with them about it but nope! 

Will bear that in mind. I use them nearly every week.

• Like 2

More info on the solar. Photo of panels and details of current settings on the solar controller (except the time, which is wrong. It thinks it’s the middle of the night)

Column 117.3

TST 22.3

S3 52.5

n % 100

hP 7422

76B90543-401B-4FA6-91FF-55435779AD73.jpeg

And I checked the temperature of the pipes in the location in the photo as I could get to the pipes there. I’m sceptical tho as one felt a bit warmer than the other, and not just a tiny little bit. 27.6 and 24.4. The temp gauge shows lower. 

And the pump shows 55. 

6BB78922-AE9C-4B5B-8C46-454426DAF018.jpeg

Bloody hell, 14 pages since Tuesday! You after my crown?

I only wish I could be more help.

The thermometers with probes I meant are this sort of thing. I've had a fair few from China / HK. I scatter them around the house to depress myself! :) You can strap the probe to pipes.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Fridge-Thermometer-Water-Temperature-Measure-50-110-C-With-Probe/302106354038?epid=1394261830&hash=item4656f12176:g:l0IAAOSwLF1YAFLU

They might not like some of high temperatures ST can reach though...

Edited by Onoff

I also found the following on the top of the TS! The thing in the photo still in its box, 2 manuals, and a plastic thing that says Resol SP 10!  O.o  Oh and shit loads of dust! :$

My house now looks like a disaster zone of paperwork and shite that I’ve dragged out of the way to get to stuff! :S

C1070580-848A-44FB-81DE-1B21DE3BADE2.jpeg

1 minute ago, newhome said:

I also found the following on the top of the TS! The thing in the photo still in its box, 2 manuals, and a plastic thing that says Resol SP 10!  O.o  Oh and shit loads of dust! :$

My house now looks like a disaster zone of paperwork and shite that I’ve dragged out of the way to get to stuff! :S

C1070580-848A-44FB-81DE-1B21DE3BADE2.jpeg

That's a wiring centre for the UFH:

E07-Generic-H-Box-12V1.2-wiring-centre-09-10-2017.pdf

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Bloody hell, 14 pages since Tuesday! You after my crown?

Nope, I think it's indicative of the sorry state of this system sadly! Thanks for the temp probes link. I will order some. 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

I have always thought these grants and renewable initiatives only benefit the installers who can charge such a premium because they are the  ones holding a special ticket to allow them to claim the subsidy.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed in the picture of the HM box is the "boiler demand" is not connected.  The boiler demand would in this case normally turn on a circulating pump and possibly open a motorised valve to allow heat to go from the tank tot he UFH.

Just now, ProDave said:

I have always thought these grants and renewable initiatives only benefit the installers who can charge such a premium because they are the  ones holding a special ticket to allow them to claim the subsidy.

Yep, absolutely right. You have to use their registered installer, he knew how much the grant was, left it until 3 days before the grant scheme ended to actually arrive after we had been chasing him for months and then presented a bill for the full grant money. Was too late to argue as I had to send the claim back to the grant company by recorded in order that it got there in time. 

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

Thanks. One hopes it was redundant rather than 'missed'!! :S

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nope, I think it's indicative of the sorry state of this system sadly! Thanks for the temp probes link. I will order some. 

I just take a chance on the cheapest ones from the Far East. Some die, others go on forever. The one in my SW facing lounge is reading 26.8, in the unfinished bathroom, NW facing it's 15 and falling! :)

One day is like to get into remote sensors, Raspberry Pi, logging and reading via an app. I fear I'm not bright enough though!

• Thanks 1

Just now, MikeSharp01 said:

At the current rate @newhome will get past you in a couple of weeksO.o. You can increase the page use rate by inserting loads of photos by the looks of it.

Only posting photos as I know jack, so not sure what to call things. 'Those green things' wouldn't mean much I guess without a visual so just easier to send photos :)

Where's your thread @Onoff. Hope it isn't a massive tale of woe like mine ;)

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I just take a chance on the cheapest ones from the Far East. Some die, others go on forever. The one in my SW facing lounge is reading 26.8, in the unfinished bathroom, NW facing it's 15 and falling! :)

One day is like to get into remote sensors, Raspberry Pi, logging and reading via an app. I fear I'm not bright enough though!

Terry had 3 Raspberry Pi's. Not 100% sure what he was using them for, but I gave them away, along with boxes and boxes of gaming stuff, tablets etc. The big monster simulator thing is stuck in the garage tho. And I still have his tricopter drone things in a box somewhere as no one wanted those. Everyone wanted the quad drones. 

12 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

At the current rate @newhome will get past you in a couple of weeksO.o. You can increase the page use rate by inserting loads of photos by the looks of it.

Or alternatively you can do some more work on your bathroom :ph34r::P.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Terry had 3 Raspberry Pi's. Not 100% sure what he was using them for, but I gave them away, along with boxes and boxes of gaming stuff, tablets etc. The big monster simulator thing is stuck in the garage tho. And I still have his tricopter drone things in a box somewhere as no one wanted those. Everyone wanted the quad drones. 

Not sure how old it is, but iirc the new prices for those simulators were 5 figures a couple of times over, so prove it works, auction it, and it may pay for a lot of heating repairs... and perhaps a holiday.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 2