My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

11 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

PS was the TS temperature rising, even very slowly above the 45 / 50 or was it dead stable?

Dead stable. Boiler at 65 - TS dead stable at 45, boiler at 70 - TS dead stable at 50, and boiler at 75 - TS dead stable at 54. I left the boiler on all day today to check and it's been at 54 the whole day. 

Hmmmm... That sounds Odd - loosing 20Deg across the circuit feels very high and is incredibly wasteful. Might need to insulate the pipe work from boiler to Heat exchanger and heat exchanger to TS as well as the heat exchanger. (Unless somewhere there is some system in control of the TS based on the Boiler water temperature which feels like a remote possibility.)

1 minute ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Might need to insulate the pipe work from boiler to Heat exchanger and heat exchanger to TS as well as the heat exchanger.

Pointing an IR thermometer all over the place (if it turns up tomorrow). will be very interesting.

I frighten myself with mine sometimes.

But as @newhome has an IT background, it won't be long until her place is wired up with environmental monitors (just share the code as my ESP2866 with a DHT22 and a BME280 decide to stop playing when I moved my router :()

17 minutes ago, newhome said:

Dead stable. Boiler at 65 - TS dead stable at 45, boiler at 70 - TS dead stable at 50, and boiler at 75 - TS dead stable at 54. I left the boiler on all day today to check and it's been at 54 the whole day. 

Hmmm ... faulty boiler thermocouple would do that... would explain why the TS never gets to temperature. 

On 21/02/2018 at 01:06, Nickfromwales said:

Getting closer...

upload_5646_rig1.png

@Nickfromwales I think it’s piped wrong....

The schematic you posted shows multiple heat sources to a single heat bank. The top source on the picture is of a gas boiler, not an electric boiler on this storage tariff. It would explain why the boiler shuts down so quick too. 

If it is putting the full 24Kw into the top 25% of the tank, then as soon as it gets down to the top stat it’s cutting out - 75% of the tank is still cold or cool. 

The electric boiler needs to be piped as per the pellet boiler as then it will heat the whole tank and hence act as a buffer for the time that the E2000 is not available. 

I can’t see where the solar circuit is attached but I bet it’s near the top too - there is no way you can thermosyphon that much heat into a tank that size as it will stratify. 

1 minute ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Yes but able to afford to leave a 24Kw boiler on all day!

I only have it on for about 8 hours a day in truth. Today was an exception as I was checking a few things. In all that time tho the UFH in the room where it is working only raised 2 degrees. Means that’s fecked too? 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The schematic you posted shows multiple heat sources to a single heat bank. The top source on the picture is of a gas boiler, not an electric boiler on this storage tariff. It would explain why the boiler shuts down so quick too. 

If it is putting the full 24Kw into the top 25% of the tank, then as soon as it gets down to the top stat it’s cutting out - 75% of the tank is still cold or cool. 

The electric boiler needs to be piped as per the pellet boiler as then it will heat the whole tank and hence act as a buffer for the time that the E2000 is not available. 

That makes sense - in schematic the pellet boiler is the prime mover, with the heat pump doing a low grade heat input at the bottom of the TS and coping with the UFH if it can.

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

I only have it on for about 8 hours a day in truth. Today was an exception as I was checking a few things. In all that time tho the UFH in the room where it is working only raised 2 degrees. Means that’s fecked too? 

Your UFH is designed with a 50c flow (too hot IMO) and 45c return. If it’s only getting water at 35c then  the delta exchange will be lower. 

6 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

There is at least one immersion heater there, what is that doing I wonder, is that the prod the system needs to syphon I wonder.

It’s just a back up if the boiler is fecked. It’s switched off. I have used it in the past. It takes about 3 hours to heat up hot enough water to shower. 

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

It takes about 3 hours to heat up hot enough water to shower.

If it is a 3 kW element and it runs for 3 hours, that is 9 kWh.

You must take very long showers, or the heat (the old word for energy) is going somewhere else.

Re the above picture.  Isn't it limited to 65°C now, what the reset is for?

Edited by SteamyTea

Yes but if the immersion is powered from one of the cheap rate power lines it will be much more cost effective than the boiler in cheap rate times and it may, may, also help the water being heated in the top of the tank by the boiler heat the whole tank because it will set up a convection current in the tank. The immersion heater is all bar the shouting 100% efficient in that all the heat goes into the water, none is wasted - until it gets to the outside of the tank and leaches away into the air.

Edited by MikeSharp01

10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If it is a 3 kW element and it runs for 3 hours, that is 9 kWh.

You must take very long showers, or the heat (the old word for energy) is going somewhere else.

Doesn’t it need to heat up a great wad of water in the TS hence the time it takes?