Paying on the spot : why I shouldn't.

23 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I suppose when question to ask is "Why won't someone I've used before come back promptly when I want more work done?"

I've suffered from this a lot with our landscaping guy, his "order book" seems to always be full for at least three or four months ahead, which is a blasted nuisance when you are trying to get tree planting done during the dormant season (I've just given a job to a new chap because of this).  Likewise with the plasterers we used and a brickie, they all seem booked up months in advance.

I've found if they're any good, they will be booked up in advance. If some one can come round straightaway I always wonder how good they are!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I've found if they're any good, they will be booked up in advance. If some one can come round straightaway I always wonder how good they are!

The one time that I needed an urgent job done, which was my own fault; I'd not thought about the temporary site supply needing a Part P sign off and thought I could DIY it as it was so simple, I had to get an electrician in a hurry.  I found a chap that could do the work a day or two later.  I did say to him that although this was a small job, there would be a lot more work as the whole house would need wiring in a few months time, in the hope that this might both entice him to do a good job for a fair price.  The price was fair but the work was positively dangerous, so dangerous that there was no way that I could let anyone near it until it had been fixed.  Building control did have the Part P chit for this work, though, so it "must" have been OK............

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I couldn't agree more.

But @vivienz how would you solve the problem of the Attention Deficit Disorder suffered by those trades folk who, once paid on time  simply refuse to be contacted? Or when eventually contact is made, and a start date agreed, don't turn up.

And when met by accident in the local supermarket tell bare-faced lies about turning up to do £1300 worth of follow up work '...on Monday...'

Everyone has scheduling problems. Everyone. 

But it seems the emotional maturity necessary to face talking to customers about low-level job-juggling is rare  for some in the building sector.

My argument is that with the 90% of decent trades folk, paying on time is 'right' . But for those whose personal standards allow them to simply ignore a customer mid way in a job with two phases (supply and then fix), then not paying is the last resort.

It's the only thing that would hold (in this case)  his attention.

If there's a bug bear about getting them back, and they're diary is filling up, then book yourself in with them. The issue will be that your possibly not confident enough to adhere to the date yourself so then the buck is passed. You can't have your cake and eat it, and a lot of trades, espaecially my painter, need around 8-10 weeks notice or he just honestly and decently says "no, I can't  do it sorry" which whilst being frustrating, is the right reply. 

Inadvertently cornering someone and making them feel obligated to tend to your needs is the worst thing I ever encounter, and I just say no now. Better to just do that than say you'll be there and not turn up, because then, if I do that, I'm the one getting the flack for it. 

Its quite erosive to have someone chase you when it suits them tbh, and I get it ALL the time. 

My favourites are the customers who ask for loads of extras to be done, and then complain that I havent stuck to my original completion date !?! ( or original price either !!!!!! ). Even after telling them up front that it'll cost £X more and add a few days / week to the original job they soon forget and it's back to he said she said. Winds me right up. 

I imagine it's as easy being a tradesmen as it is being a customer. Two sides to that coin for sure. 

@Nickfromwales quick e-mail along the lines of “the extra work discussed which consists of “xyz”

will be an additional £x +Vat & regular coffee & biscuits. 

Please confirm your agreement in return e-mail at which point I will be happy to commence the work. “

Afaik this kind of e-mail exchange has legal standing,though others more knowledgable than me may know differently. 

Anyway,more importantly-come on you Reds on Sunday!

lets give AW a trophy (or two) in his final season :)

5 minutes ago, Brickie said:

@Nickfromwales quick e-mail along the lines of “the extra work discussed which consists of “xyz”

will be an additional £x +Vat & regular coffee & biscuits. 

Please confirm your agreement in return e-mail at which point I will be happy to commence the work. “

Afaik this kind of e-mail exchange has legal standing,though others more knowledgable than me may know differently. 

Anyway,more importantly-come on you Reds on Sunday!

lets give AW a trophy (or two) in his final season :)

Even a verbal agreement to do work in return for a consideration (usually money, but coffee and biscuits are a consideration in law, I'm sure) is a valid contract under UK law.  Writing it down and getting confirmation of acceptance makes it far easier to prove, but isn't a legal requirement.  All you need to form a valid contract is an offer, the acceptance of that offer and the exchange of a consideration.  The exchange of the consideration in this case is the work specified for the payment (including payment in kind like coffee and biscuits) agreed in the contract.

The big problem is that it's rarely worth using the power of the law for contracts worth just a few thousand pounds, as the costs involved are usually way higher than the value of the contract.

Just saying that if a customer decides to be a **** & mess you around,showing them their consent to go ahead at the price agreed makes it more difficult for them & May even stop them in the first place. Also,the perceived prospect of Small Claims Court would deter a lot of people,I’m sure. Never had it myself,but then generally my work is easier to get to with a sledgehammer than Nick’s :))

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

My favourites are the customers who ask for loads of extras to be done, and then complain that I havent stuck to my original completion date

I have had that.  Then the bugger ended up owing me £1500.

But to be honest, the guy was such a pain I was glad to see the back if him.