Datum point

Is there any sort of app or something so I can mark a datum height above see level on a stake. 

Just having a rough site clear and want to get a general feel for where finished floor level will be before I scrape off to much. 

I will be getting the surveyors back to set out properly, just want to do a bit of rough levelling. 

Cheers. 

You don't need an absolute datum.

I hammered a row of nails into a substantial fence post at the highest corner of my plot. That is my "Temporary Bench Mark" and all my heights for planning on all the drawings were referenced to that TBM (it is still there should anyone wish to check anything)

I have had the same problem this week on a garage, planners want proposed FFL  Ordnance datum. There is no OBM nearby. I am competent with a dumpy lever and able to use change points etc but don't want to pay for a topo survey if I can avoid it. I have replied with levels from existing house FFL.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

What's the height accuracy these days of the average GPS?

If by average you mean on a phone or cheapish hand held GPS, then crap is the only way to describe the accuracy, especially the altitude. It can be 10's of meters out. 

You can of course get GPS accuracy to mm, but not cheaply. 

We had to have a rather complex flood risk assessment because of all the water around us, ffl is 88.35

im doing a rough site scrape and instead of removing lots of topsoil and then bringing it back in when the house is in place I wanted to be able to leave it in place in areas it won’t get in my way. 

Think I will just bung the surveyor a nifty and get a peg knocked in.