Edpm or grp ?

Pocster

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you park a 2 tonne car on it, repeatedly.

150 kpa is about 22 lb to the square inch isn't it.

Trust me no matter what solution I use we are never parking a car on it ?

http://coolconversion.com/pressure/150-kPa-to-kgf/m2

hmmmmmmmmmm !! 

15,000kg per square meter ??? That right.   

Edited by pocster

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you park a 2 tonne car on it, repeatedly.

It's rated at over 18 tonnes/m², so a 2 tonne four wheel vehicle with a tyre contact area of around 0.05m² per wheel, and a roughly 60/40 split between front and rear axles would exert a pressure from the highest loaded tyres of around 12 tonnes/m² (if I've done the sums right........).

So it looks fine to me, with a margin of  around 150% without even into account the load spreading effect of the top covering, which will have a significant impact on reducing the point loads seen by the insulation.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

It's rated at over 18 tonnes/m², so a 2 tonne four wheel vehicle with a tyre contact area of around 0.05m² per wheel, and a roughly 60/40 split between front and rear axles would exert a pressure from the highest loaded tyres of around 12 tonnes/m² (if I've done the sums right........).

So it looks fine to me, with a margin of  around 150% without even into account the load spreading effect of the top covering, which will have a significant impact on reducing the point loads seen by the insulation.

Lol

the parking area would probably just about take the size of an average car !

i think total depth for this insulation is around 20mm ( which is amazing ! ) . Will contact a firm tomorrow too see !

undoubtedly £££££££ will be distressing !

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

How do they make multi story car parks waterproof ?

They don't, they leak like sieves usually.  One of ours here in Salisbury that I fairly regularly use always has big puddles on the lower floors from leaks, plus it is now growing what look like stalactites from every joint in the concrete, where the water is dissolving carbonates from the concrete and redepositing them as stalactites.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

How thick is the existing slab and is it just regular cast concrete.

Concrete has an R-Value of between 0.43 and 0.87 m.K/W

Regular reinforced- can’t remember exact depth ( will check ) but can guess 100mm

Well ! Got a price !! ?

3.8k for 40mm + vat

3.4k for 35mm + vat ( u difference is about 0.01 ) so I think 35mm will do !

area is approx 6m x 6m 

my next lesser issue issue is what concrete board to put over them . Must be tougue and grove as can’t fix through the vac packs . Also be able to take whatever waterproofing method architect fancies ...

To err on the side of caution, EPDM over concrete.

It is possible to lay up GRP onto concrete, but would need some rapid ageing tests first.

The problem is that there are so many different mixed of concrete and they can have different water content depending on how old they are.

21 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

To err on the side of caution, EPDM over concrete.

It is possible to lay up GRP onto concrete, but would need some rapid ageing tests first.

The problem is that there are so many different mixed of concrete and they can have different water content depending on how old they are.

I meant cement board 

so this on top insulation - do grp , edpm, ashfelt etc . Bond to cement board ?