Travis Perkins: Cash or Credit?

Visti

We're looking to setup an account with Travis Perkins just up the road in preparation to breaking ground shortly. There's the cash option, and the credit option, and little information on either.

Only recommendation I've found online is to go for the Credit account, not for value but rather for the purposes of VAT paperwork!

Alternatively there is a John Nicholls and Bunnings nearby. Should be bother with a trade account at all?

I opened a credit account with Jewson, for the one reason that they were introducing a delivery charge for orders under £150, but not to account holders.

Some say you get a better price with the cash account, but in reality the way to get the best price is haggle (play one BM off against the other)

I pretty much avoided the chain BM for my requirements. Opaque pricing and generally quite high. I tended to shop in advance on internet, and managed to establish a few key relationships over the 'phone. 95% paid in advance.

Where we needed something urgently, went through my builders account and he invoiced me. Probably paid a higher price by doing this, but by having this option for low-value and urgent requirements kept us working.

1 hour ago, Visti said:

We're looking to setup an account with Travis Perkins just up the road in preparation to breaking ground shortly. There's the cash option, and the credit option, and little information on either.

Only recommendation I've found online is to go for the Credit account, not for value but rather for the purposes of VAT paperwork!

Alternatively there is a John Nicholls and Bunnings nearby. Should be bother with a trade account at all?

Quik answer is don’t do it

TP are one of the most exspensive merchants There must be a better builders merchants near you

• Like 1

I still phone round my local BM's , looking for good service, free delivery and price. I opened an account with Jewson who have been very helpful and keen prices, they sent a sales person to see me and I could not fault them.  TP were just a joke though I have purchased all the Rockwool, OSB3 and plasterboard through CCF Ltd  which is part of the TP group. 

I have used TP for a long time and always had a good relationship with them. Have a cash account but pretty much always talk to someone in the office and haggle  the price down. They seem happy to match other builders merchants prices if they can. Would be worth going in and having a talk with one of the managers and see what they can do for you. 

When I am looking for major items I always get TP and Jewson to quote. It has got to the point I almost feel embarased to ask TP as they are never the cheapest lately so never get the order.  This seems a recent thing, earlier in the build they were coming in competetive and getting a lot of the business.  I wonder what has changed?

I have cash accounts because i like to walk away with THE piece of paper that needs to get filed so I can do it immediately, not wait for a monthly statement...and I can see the debit to my balance immediately, thus keeping me in a state of continuous financial alarm and vigilance rather than just the once a month heart attack.

• Like 1

I visited all local bm with copy of house plans spoke to the managers, explained that I'm a self builder and will ring for quotes,set accounts up in all including plumbing and electrical merchants and the cheapest gets the order if it's like for like.

Deal directly with the managers as over the counter prices are often higher .

It's surprising what you can save for the cost and time of an  email  or phone call 

1 hour ago, jpinthehouse said:

..... I visited all local bm with copy of house plans spoke to the managers .....

Deal directly with the managers as over the counter prices are often higher....

I deal direct with the MKM branch director - he’s been involved from the start and their pricing is always good, even for stuff that they have to order in. 

Getting a good relationship is key especially for deliveries. We needed 4 sheets of insulation adding to an order this week and I rang on the morning of delivery and it was done with no hassle. Even had one of their drivers put a steel in place with a hiab “as he was there....”

It is very rare for any one BM to have the best prices on all or most items

I have three accounts and one at Preston Plastics Which  carry’s stock for most underground and above ground plastic piping 

Very exspensive walk in prices 

40% off for account 

Makes them about 15% cheaper than the BM

well worth flitting between several