Casement vs tilt and turn?

Jude1234

We are getting quotes from various suppliers for our Al coated timber frame windows. We have been asked if we want casement or tilt and turn but we aren't sure. We are having MVHR so thought we won't be opening them much. We do want small sight lines. Are there any recommendations on which way to go?  Are one type cheaper than the other? 

I may have it wrong but AFAIK T&T only open inwards and casement only open outwards. We now have T&T which is new to us and the advantage of tilt is useful for ventilation but having the windows pivot inwards can be awkward eg window blinds. Then again cleaning T&T couldn't be easier. MVHR doesn't need to be used in the summer when the windows can provide ventilation.

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Thanks 1

We settled for top hung openings that swing outwards, and you can swing them right out and back to present the outside face of the glass to the room for easy cleaning.

Ones that tilt, or turn, always strike me as a mechanical nightmare and seal compromise, plus as already noted they open inwards, not good if you have left a window open and it rains.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our build has T&T and I do like them.

Tilt is very convenient and allows ventilation while still secure from casual intruders. We have curtains on some of our windows but the tilt remains inside the reveal and curtains are on the outside, so no issues here.

Turn is inwards, which means window ledges cannot have lots of things stacked on them. We hardly ever use this feature, but it makes cleaning of glass very easy, as noted above. Don't think inward or outward opening has much impact on ingress by rain - if wide open you are letting water in anyways, if opening a crack then there may be a benefit but why not just tilt it instead?

Our windows seal well (part of pressure test of whole home) and as the mechanism is multi-point I do not think it will be an issue.

One other decision on T&T, the mechanism can be either tilt-then-turn or turn-then-tilt. If you are mainly interested in tilt then the first option might be more convenient. In our case we have key lock windows and if locked the window permits tilt-only without a key, provided it is in the tilt-then-turn configuration.

MVHR is designed to provide adequate ventilation with all windows closed - that is its primary role. We leave ours always on and it will boost when bathroom humidity rises. I prefer not to switch off even when we open windows, just let it do its thing 24x7.

Edited by ragg987
added more...

1 hour ago, Jude1234 said:

Due to external noise we will not want the windows open in the night even in summer. Will the MVHR provide adequate ventilation?

It depends on the glazing design with respect to possible overheating and whether the MHRV unit has summer bypass.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Ones that tilt, or turn, always strike me as a mechanical nightmare and seal compromise, plus as already noted they open inwards

It’s the other way around in my view, the hardware for operating the window runs down the side of the window sash and frame on fully reversible.

I’ve always found turn / tilt (not tilt/turn) to be very simplistic in operation and mechanically sound.

Tilt / turn is effectively the same window but is more commonly used in the UK and more awkward to use yet still very simple.

It leaves a horrible gap in my view and exposes the operation to the external elements. This can cause the hardware to degrade a lot quicker than it should because of this exposure.

Edited by craig