Security is not a dirty word...

I’ve adopted a rather blasé attitude to security over the past 3 years. A statistical approach based upon not having cars that make us a target and hiding in plain sight with a house that looked like the one on street with an old sofa and fridge in the garden.

I’ve come home today after the house has only been empty a couple of hours to find some things moved in the garden. My kids deny doing it and my 6 year old (not exactly  a reliable witness) tells me that one of the things was not in its current position this morning. 

So better late than never, eh?

When we moved in, the house had an alarm but whenever it got powered up it just triggered so we’ve had it switched off for 3 years. There are 4 PIRs downstairs in parts of the original house, the big box under the stairs and the control in the hallway but that was ‘destroyed’ during building works.

So anyway, as it stands I have space for an alarm panel under the stairs and existing cabling (which I think is 6 core?) to 4 PIR sensors downstairs and an alarm box on the front of the house. I would need more sensors (wireless?) for other parts of the house (downstairs extension) and any door  sensors.  Cctv is a whole other kettle of fish I have yet to get into.

So, WTF is the gen on the stuff I need to know before I speak to an alarm clown, sorry, installer?

Guest Alphonsox

The first question is "what are you trying to achieve ?" Are you :-

1. - Trying to scare off the local scrotes and druggies ?
  2. - Convince the local thieves to pick on the house down the road rather than on yours ?
  3. - Alert the neighbours as your Rembrandt disappears down the driveway ?
  4. - Record the faces of the Rembrandt thieves ?

Different requirements need different and progressively more expensive systems.

1. Can be achieved with professional looking bell boxes.

2. Can be achieved with bell boxes and a simple alarm system

3. May need a more complex alarm system

4. Is a full fat integrated system

42 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

The first question is "what are you trying to achieve ?" Are you :-

1. - Trying to scare off the local scrotes and druggies ?
  2. - Convince the local thieves to pick on the house down the road rather than on yours ?
  3. - Alert the neighbours as your Rembrandt disappears down the driveway ?
  4. - Record the faces of the Rembrandt thieves ?

Different requirements need different and progressively more expensive systems.

1. Can be achieved with professional looking bell boxes.

2. Can be achieved with bell boxes and a simple alarm system

3. May need a more complex alarm system

4. Is a full fat integrated system

I’m looking for a deterrent to make us look as least as secure as any of the neighbours so a working alarm covering the ground floor would be a start. whilst also being conscious that the French doors are a weakness as they are out of sight so potentially would like some video coverage of this area.

we’re getting the drive laid in the spring so will get some gates to prevent easy access from the front. We’re at the end of a cul de sac so get little passing traffic and can’t do much about the fences at the moment.

You could put a security film on the French Doors if you are concerned, such that it is more difficult to smash the glazing units. Or make one side of each unit laminated?

Perhaps get into the habit of removing the key from the lock in the French doors and putting it out of sight.

F

There is a security light above the doors, not that is any help during the daytime like today but it stopped working after a couple of months so maybe I should get on with fixing that... 

basic plot plan plan to see the issues. Lots of glass/doors and whilst the street is quiet, unseen access from the rear (don’t snigger) is possible from the stream/other properties.

@Ferdinand no keys :P it’s the kids playroom so it always looks like the aftermath of a burglary anyway.

D0C7DDD5-7D15-4BB0-86D2-95B73595A40E.jpeg

6C44F702-8816-4AE1-AA34-FBD7E988DC53.jpeg

Edited by daiking

If you want to deter people from coming round, then get security cameras. I haven't quite got round to fitting ours yet and this happened last month...

A couple of videos from the ring.com video doorbell
11:43pm - https://ring.com/share/6508829689333376523  
11:46pm - https://ring.com/share/6508830466722457099  

• Thanks 2

@daiking

Looking at those piccies further thoughts are:

1 - Some sort of fence or gate level with the end of the extension which can be closed when you are away. Not particularly elegant, but would make it more awkward for housebreakers. Could be relatively low or the full 1.8m or 2m.

2 - A hinged security grill / gate eg wrought iron attached to the house wall on the left as you look out of the French Doors. To be closed when necessary. You could probably get away with that not being the full 2m .. 1.5m would Perhaps suffice.

3 - The ideal solution would perhaps be a built in electric roller shutter, but I think this is not part of your extension so would not have been possible. And those things are quite expensive. 

4 - You could put a surface mount roller shutter in, and hide it under some kind of vestigial "porch" roof .. with the 'purpose' of the roof being to avoid dripping water or as a shelter for eg outside toys and bikes etc.

If it were me, I would prefer 3 subject to cost and feasibility, but 2 and 4 would be acceptable. To me 1 would feel too much like a prison unless a secure outside storage area were required.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand