Structural Glass

Pete

Has anyone any advice on fitting structural glazing?

This a single piece of toughened glass that will be fitted to an external wall on our roof terrace. At the moment my idea is to leave a 5mm gap to aid fitting which will be filled with glazing silicone afterwards. Once the glass is in place there will be a 25 x 100mm batten either side to hold it in place with window tape between the glass and the wood. Then there will be render board on top of that and then rendered. Underneath the render board will be a dpc and the Sika roof deck was fitted so it passed right under the glazing just in case of water penetration. Hope the pictures help.

TIA

20180215_150938.jpg

20180215_150913.jpg

20180215_150834.jpg

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Can you explain why that is structural?

I need to be educated :-). I understood structural glazing to be loadbearing.

To be perfectly honest it is not structural ! I had been trying to get info about the glass fixing on the internet and all it came up with was structural glass so I sort of carried on the theme with my post but it is a piece of 8mm toughened that will be placed in the funny shaped opening. The wall it is going in is just an exterior wall which has no insulation as it is outside the thermal envelope. 

• Like 1

5mm glazing packers, silicone, battens either side, will do the job well. Done similar on a few projects in the past. Just make sure the fixings for the beadings are strong and long enough. It might also be worthwhile to run some compriband between the bead and glass for protection or silicone.

Edited by craig

40 minutes ago, craig said:

5mm glazing packers, silicone, battens either side, will do the job well. Done similar on a few projects in the past. Just make sure the fixings for the beadings are strong and long enough. It might also be worthwhile to run some compriband between the bead and glass for protection or silicone.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Craig

• Like 1