Cheap digger sources

dpmiller

Depends what you mean by cheap. Excavators hold their value well, I paid 3k for an old banger (1992) 3.5t 360 a few years back but had to spend about a grand on it. Old school levers but digs fine. 

4 minutes ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Is there not a hire from me facility here or is that (A) contary to the rules (B} a minefield?

You could try via the marketplace, but I expect that 

1 - they are in constant use.

2 - transport would be an issue, as might insurance.

3 - diggers are perhaps easy to break expensively, especially the ones self-builders may buy.

4 - they are a relatively expensive purchase.

5 - liability issues?

F

I bought mine from ebay.

I started looking long before I really needed it, but was mindful of needing to find one reasonably close so transport cost was not too high.

One came up on auction on ebay about 50 mles away. I was going out that day, so I put in a cheeky bid of £2500 and went out.  When I got home I found I had won it.

It cost just under £300 to get it transported to my site.  I then spent about £100 servicing the engine. There was no service history and I didn't want the timing belt snapping and trashing the engine etc.

When I had finished I sold it on Gumtree and got back my £2500.

Buying an old machine like this is obviously a gamble and things could break that render it as an unrepairable heap of scrap, but it did what I wanted, even if it was old and basic.

digger_going_2.thumb.jpg.c343669f37482edb43c78c8c8e9adcc8.jpg

Guest Alphonsox

We bought our JCB from Gumtree (Downpatrick way IIRC) - It was cheap and currently only goes in reverse which is a bit limiting...

Cheers all.

There's plenty in the £5-10k region but I'd prefer to keep it on the low side. Don't mind needs a service/ hoses/pumps a bit slow/ bit of play here and there.

Groundworker has a good arrangement with Uhire which will be super for the early heavy lifting, but I'm thinking more of the odd wee thing here and there later in the build.

I've a couple of sources to try for ex-hire or ex-lease yet as well as the couple @Declan52 flagged.

I bought an old jcb 3cx as I wanted a “ multi tool” I was warned these are very heavy and with our high water table and very wet year it has sunk quite a few times and causes a lot of ground damage, I wished I had bought a swing shovel with tracks now.

Guest Alphonsox
14 hours ago, joe90 said:

I bought an old jcb 3cx as I wanted a “ multi tool” I was warned these are very heavy and with our high water table and very wet year it has sunk quite a few times and causes a lot of ground damage, I wished I had bought a swing shovel with tracks now.

We've found the same thing - It can only really be used during dry spells. I ended up having to borrow the neighbours tracked digger for the immediate landscaping.

On 2/15/2018 at 16:59, joe90 said:

[...]

I wished I had bought a swing shovel with tracks now.

We bought a digger with tracks. But I still lust after a JCB with front and back 'tools' 

It was the first machine I drove as a kid, learned the 'trade' made lots of  (lucky) private mistakes in a field miles away from anyone's view: the farmer who got me clearing ditches would have been in jail for child exploitation and modern slavery these days. £1:00 for a whole week's work (1964. I was 11)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

It was the first machine I drove as a kid, learned the 'trade' made lots of  (lucky) private mistakes in a field miles away from anyone's view: the farmer who got me clearing ditches would have been in jail for child exploitation and modern slavery these days. £1:00 for a whole week's work (1964. I was 11)

Not to mention H&S 

My next door neighbour (the only one who will be affected by the finished build as it will block open countryside view and the only one who isn't complaining). Is currently building an extension.  His 11yr old has been operating the (admittedly) mini digger every weekend in the excavation stage.  It's kind of scary in today's climate but that kid is learning ... and learning ... and learning.... - He will be an awesome adult

2 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Not to mention H&S 

My next door neighbour (the only one who will be affected by the finished build as it will block open countryside view and the only one who isn't complaining). Is currently building an extension.  His 11yr old has been operating the (admittedly) mini digger every weekend in the excavation stage.  It's kind of scary in today's climate but that kid is learning ... and learning ... and learning.... - He will be an awesome adult

That's a proper dad showing his kid life skills. Better than stuck on his phone or glued to the TV playing his Xbox till 2am.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

That's a proper dad showing his kid life skills. Better than stuck on his phone or glued to the TV playing his Xbox till 2am.

absolutely

These days kids can't ride bikes without helmets, can't climb trees, can't build go carts out of old dolls prams (and if they did they can't use them) or  'dens' in the wood, 

Then at 17 are given the keys to a (potential) killing machine without ever learning that actions have consequences (and consequences that are frequently painful).

Edited by Hecateh
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The amount of crashes I had on my BMX and home made go kart it's a miracle I made it this far!!!

It may be old school but that is what I am in favour of.  

I don't like kids getting killed doing kid things - but those that can't learn from experience need taking out the food chain before it is just them that gets killed

I am convinced that  many of the teens (obviously not all) that do get killed are those that have been protected from 'falling or failing' in their younger years.  

I do know from my work experience that 'protected' kids are more vulnerable in situations that 'streetwise' kids either don't get into or can get themselves out of

I tried to get my daughter to have a go driving the digger, but she wasn't interested, the most she would do is sit in the cab with me.

Ah yes the things we did as kids, and survived. I remember the climbing frame in the playground at school was on tarmac. It taught you if you fell off it hurt, so you did not fall off. Today they all have cushioned surfaces to land on........

• Like 1

I wish as a kid, I had known about "lock nuts". The times the ordinary full nut would come loose from the cross member or brake of my home made cart. Never stopped us using it though. Fitting pram axles on with galvanised staples wasn't a good idea either looking back!  :)

7 hours ago, Hecateh said:

absolutely

These days kids can't ride bikes without helmets, can't climb trees, can't build go carts out of old dolls prams (and if they did they can't use them) or  'dens' in the wood, 

Then at 17 are given the keys to a (potential) killing machine without ever learning that actions have consequences (and consequences that are frequently painful).

Fortunately that is not the case yet  ... though eg in the past the BMA supported helmet compulsion. Arguably they were mugged by enthusiasts, and have edged away from the policy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws_by_country

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/24/no-plan-to-make-cycle-helmets-compulsory-in-safety-review-minister

AIUI it is more a case that people running activities enforce it for alleged H&S reasons (which my sceptical head says may also be liability reasons and may be a condition of insurance policies), and ban kids who do not wear helmets. 

Though Theresa May does not have a good record on resisting emotion driven single-issue campaigns.

IMO 'sensible school' is a better term than 'old school' (said the giraffe, sticking his neck out).

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 2